“Bruisers on the Beaverhead Beware”

FishTales Outfitting
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Sheridan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: FishTales Outfitting is Southwestern Montana's premier fly fishing outfitter and guide service with over 20 years of experience. We offer private, guided fly fishing day trips on Montana's finest rivers. Our home waters include the Madison River, Big Hole River, the Beaverhead, Jefferson and Ruby Rivers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My partner and I fished with Mike on the Beaverhead on July 25, 2013. We were provided a very full day on a river that is heavily fished. Despite heavy river traffic, Mike structured our day in such a way that we actually contended with very few others. We actually had relative solitude on crowded waters--no small accomplishment. The trip went off as planned with no unpleasant surprises like, "Oh there will be a charge of $35 for flies." NONE of that. Michael proved to be personable, extremely competent, and utterly professional. Most importantly, he had us on fish ALL day. We landed 25+ fish that day and several were 20" or better. When I return to the Beaverhead I will book Mike without hesitation. Thanks for a great day!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Fished the Madison yesterday with guide Michael Stack. The wind was howlin', but the fishing was excellent. Michael seemed to know every hole and run that held fish. I've fished with many guides over the years, and this guy is one of the best - friendly and extremely knowledgable. A+

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I booked Fishtales guide Mike Stack for a trip in April on the Big Hole and it was incredible. I had my mom with me, a first time Fly-Fisher, and she caught a bunch of trout. After the trip she told me she wanted to book Mike for two more days next time we were in Montana. Mike was extremely patient and very helpful in teaching my mom how to cast, set the hook and fight the fish. Meanwhile, I was in the back of the boat streamer fishing, and Mike never missed a single run or hole, putting me on fish continuously while at the same time he was teaching my mom. I was more than impressed with his rowing skills, fishing knowledge, and knowledge on all the local rivers. I learned so much that I had no problem finding fish on the other local rivers by myself after the trip. If you are ever planning on fishing the Madison, Big Hole, Beaverhead, or Jefferson Rivers book Fishtales guide Mick Stack if want to catch fish.
I can't wait to go back with my mom and fish with Mike.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I can't wait to go back with my mom and fish with Mike.

1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My dad and I have been fly-fishing for 15 years and we still fish with Mike everytime we are in Montana. He is a cool guy, an amazing guide, and a great teacher. We have fished with him on the Madison, Jefferson, Big Hole and the Beaverhead and had tremendous success everytime. He will work hard all day to make sure your fly floats through every hole in the river. He will even row back UPSTREAM to let you float through the good holes again. Awesome dude to fish with whether you're an expert or a beginner. Hope to fish with him again soon!

1  Thank Brad C