“Book early, choose the best room”

St Mary Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Saint Mary
Reviewed August 24, 2014

There are different kinds of rooms to choose from at this lodge. Considering it is situated at the gate of a national park, and there is no other choices nearby, it is not that hard to accept its seemingly high price. We stayed in a great bear room, and all I can say is that every penny worth it. Spacious and well appointed room, northern country style deco, balcony and window with view. Enjoyed the stay very much.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

I have to admit that I was a little wary about staying here after reading many of the negative reviews. However we booked our August vacation in May, and all of the national park lodges were full. I wanted to stay on the East side of the park, as this is the best location for the multiple awesome day hikes out of Many Glacier and Two Medicine. Going on the reviews, I booked a room in the Great Bear Lodge and requested the third floor.

My partner and I were not disappointed! We got a room on the third floor with a great view over the river. The room had a really comfortable king bed, a sofa, wet bar, balcony, and fireplace. Some have written about road noise, but this was not an issue at all - each night, we slept with the balcony door open and could hear nothing but the babbling river outside. The fireplace was plenty to heat the room, and we could use the AC when it got warm. The shower needs a little updating, but other than this, we were super pleased with the room.

We stayed in three different lodges around the outside of the park, and this was by far the nicest. The restaurant food was decent but overpriced (as is much of glacier), the coffee was great, and the nearby gift shop and supermarket had everything we needed for hiking. We were also surprised to have good cell phone service in St Mary, but internet was also available in the lobby for those who needed it.

I would definitely stay here again on another trip to the park and wished that we had stayed here longer. For the complainers, it's a national park - there aren't five-star accommodations out here. We felt this inn was as close as it gets.

Room Tip: Book the Great Bear Lodge and ask for the third floor for the best views. We were in 312, right in...
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We chose this establishment through AARP/Expedia and thought we were getting a comfortable normal hotel room for one night with a view of the mountains. Instead we got a room in the basement with no view, a window that was screwed shut, no TV or wifi, a very small bathroom with a small hand washing sink with a normal size faucet (faucet was way too big for the sink size). I've never seen such a small sink. It was very noisy and not comfortable one iota. When we asked about the window we were told it was screwed shut and could not be fixed. When we question the room we were told we could "upgrade" for $300.00 more.

Room Tip: Stay on the west side of Glacier, much better accommodations and much more to do.
1  Thank Rich G
Dan H, Public Relations Manager at St Mary Lodge & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Hi Rich G,
Thank you for leaving us some feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed. Our records indicate that you booked a "main lodge value room" online through our website and the description of the room which you would have seen when you made the reservation is as follows:
"The lower level of the Main Lodge offers a limited number of small guest value rooms located one level below the lobby. Each room is equipped with one queen size bed, a desk, chair, and private bath. There is NO television."
We feel that this is a pretty accurate description of the room.
Best regards,
Dan Hansen

Reviewed August 21, 2014

We had a last minute change in our itinerary to Glacier, so we were stuck without a campsite. We opted for a "value room" at the St. Mary Lodge. As previous reviewers have written, the value room is pretty bare bones (queen bed, no windows, private, but small, shower). However, we were given an upstairs value room with two fans (one ceiling, one box), which seems like a slight upgrade from the basement value rooms (although, to be fair, I only saw the upstairs value room, not the downstairs ones). The upstairs value room was right off the stairs (I mean, RIGHT off the stairs. Like two feet.). My husband is a light sleeper and said the Lodge Office (located on the upstairs level, around the corner) employees kept him up at night. However, the room was a bed and private shower, and offered us a reasonable alternative to sleeping in the car. We were able to get Wifi sometimes in our room - and definitely Verizon LTE network coverage. I was overall pleased that we were able to stay somewhere close to Many Glacier, but would never have booked this lodge on our itinerary.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

From the St. Mary Lodge & Resort website: "West Motel. Perfect for couples, the 1950’s style West Motel features 24 guestrooms in a single story building. Each room comes with a king, or one or two queen beds, and is equipped with a TV(limited channels), air conditioning, a desk and chair. Recently updated these include granite counter-tops and traditional lodge furnishings."

We were quite disappointed and would not recommend the West Motel to anyone. The room was tiny with really no place to put our luggage and walk around. The bathtub was dirty with soap scum. Really, I was expecting rustic and simple - but not minimal list.

I honestly think the main lodge or Great Bear lodge would have been fine but the reservation agent suggested the West Motel and that's what we chose back in January. Please take my word for it.

Also, we visited the lodge and Many Glacier. That's the place to stay in my opinion. I wish we would have known.

Room Tip: Stay at the Great Bear Lodge or Main Lodge. Better yet, go up the road and stay at the Many Glacier...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Chuck D
Reviewed August 20, 2014

My husband and I are Kalispell locals and we were taking family around glacier for day and over night hikes around the Many Glacier area. The closest we could get to Many Glacier was St Mary's, our reservations were August 5th and 6th, 2014 and for three rooms and were made in February. These rooms weren't in the main building. They were terrible, mold infested to the point I was up all night throwing up and with terrible nose bleeds. There was dirt and dust in every corner and the curtains were falling down off the rods. We happened to see the maids cart and there wasn't a vacuum cleaner or mop on it. The bedding didn't fit the size of mattress, out blanket was for a twin size bed. The public rest room in the main building wasn't much better. I had another nose bleed during breakfast and used the rest room. I was cleaning up the floor and the paper towel was black--black! ! ! So bad I showed the paper towels to the manager. My advise, just don't stay here.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Rachel Z
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Book early for the best deal and I mean early....balcony rooms on the third floor have the best views. Sure it's overpriced but so convenient...right by entrance to East Glacier...good location if your doing Waterton as well. Room was very nice...large...clean...bathroom beautiful...balcony awesome! Check in is rather strange...you do so in the store. Bar and restaurant again over priced and quality just ok but there are other places close by.

Room Tip: Third floor with balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Montana's Duck Lake Lodge
Sears Motel and Campground
Sears Motel and Campground
#4 of 6 in East Glacier Park

Been to St Mary Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!