“Not many options in St Mary”
Review of Red Eagle Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Mary
Red Eagle Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Saint Mary
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed at the Red Eagle Lodge before and after a big hike in Glacier. There were 2 choices in St Mary, with the other venue charging big bucks, so we opted for the Red Eagle. While the place needs some work and cleaning up, it suited my needs perfectly. They helped us with some transportation issues, and even allowed us to leave our car there while backpacking in the park. With outstanding views out over the valley at the east entrance to Glacier National Park, this is a good budget option in the expensive lodging areas in and around the park

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ks404

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We were really excited to find a place to stay for the Canada Day (July 1) for our hiking adventures in Glacier Park. We had gone in person 3 weeks prior to our trip as we had been dayhiking the day we booked. We were able to look at a room and thought it would be okay as our upcoming trip was full of hikes and all we wanted was a comfortable place to sleep for the four nights we had booked the motel room for. The innkeeper "Stu" wrote our name in the reservation book for the room we wanted for the four nights we requested...we were ecstatic!!! However, when we arrived on June 30 as planned we were told that our reservation was no where to be found, in fact our name had been erased completely!!!! The BS story we were given was there were some changes made (no kidding) and "the girl had made some changes" In fact the room that we had specifically requested had the last name of someone else, the spelling was a bit different but not muchdifferent than ours. Anyways.... question is why was our name completely erased???? Now to start with the room....Holy Moly... what a dive!!! To put it in a nutshell... the floor slopes downward badly, the bed was not a queen...it was a double, the fridge stunk and had water all over...which by the way we cleaned...we had to in order to feel comfortable about putting our food in it. There was no water pressure to speak of no matter what time or day PLUS the water was either ARCTIC COLD or SCALDING HOT...the top of my head (and I have extremely thick hair) became scalded with my first shower...which by the way the shower is tiny and the shower head is LOW. I am 5 ft 6 inches and not a fat/big person and there is nowhere to move to get out of the way of the shower from --- nor to stand up, my husband is 5 ft 11 inches and had to bend to get under the shower head!! I absolutely could not move fast enough or become a beanpole every time the water temperature changed plus my feet had a bad itch for 1 week after staying at this hotel....fungas/parasites in the room...maybe. The last time I had that bad of a foot itch was from Mexico about 13 years ago. The alarm clock never worked. The power for the fridge is by access of the light switch by the door BUT if you want to keep your fridge on and turn the hanging lamp off you will have to unplug the lamp because the lamp and the fridge on the same wire. The TV was figity and hard to operate as it simply would not allow us to control it once it was turned on....is there an unknown entity residing in it??? The "innkeepers" never had the fridge ready which is usually standard for rooms with fridges, nor were we even asked if we preferred a bigger fridge (most hotels/motels have the same standard size of fridges) some of the rooms had a bigger fridge...ours would barely be able to fit a 6 pack of beer. My husband had to sleep on the floor TWICE because the bed sags in the middle BADLY. We were so sore and tired because of the crappy sleep...or what little sleep we had as the walls are also paper thin and you hear EVERYTHING!!!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else, this place is way to much money for what you get!!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GreenFrog6
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We had been traveling for a while and stopped for the nite,ended up staying for3 days. The staff were very nice and the whole place clean! We will be back!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2010

after being given the key to an already occupied room, we got one to ourselves--and the flies-many dead ones everywhere. There was unattached trim in the bathroom, but not to worry-we would not be taking a shower in there anyway--no heat in the bathroom. The queen bed was tolerable, but was made with double- bed blanket and spread with no extra blankets in sight. There was a missing lightbulb and poor lighting in the vanity area. But if you are hunters or fishermen-notice I didn't say women-feel comfortable bringing your dogs as they will feel right at home.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2010

It offers a reasonably priced stay close to Glacier National Park. It has two nice restaurants close by, Johnson's Cafe and down the hill is the The Park Cafe.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Very clean room. Had the basics. Tv, shower, clean comfortable bed. Very large area to store items off the food. Very nice people. Let us look at all rooms then decide. Very reasonable price. Got in without reservations on labor day!
Cafe's very close, gas and store a block away. Very quiet room. Nice people to work with, we will stay here again and will recommend it. Not the Hyatt but for $75 I didn't expect it to be.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed in this motel one night in August so we see could Many Glacier. For location, you can't beat it as they are close to the eastern side of the park. Howvever, I couldn't wait to get the heck out of this place. First, while checking in, the owner told me the TV worked. Aren't they all supposed to? The room was dim and dingy from the 70's- none of my family wanted to take off our shoes. Then, there was no soap or shampoo for the shower. I began to realize that other than the Park-owned St. Mary's Lodge, there is nowhere else to stay around here. What a monopoly! You could try Babb about 10 miles away, which also has very little. Honestly, East Glacier would be a better bet. For $96, I was better off camping. I think if someone opened a motel in St. Mary that was clean and affordable, this place would ride into the sunset.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Red Eagle Motel? Share your experiences!