All reviewsthe pubking suiteeggs benedictbreakfast was includednice historic hotelold westthe main streetthe high countrythird floorbalconies overlookingbreakfast menubeartooth highwaymiddle of towndowntown red lodgerooms are smallcommon areasincluded in the room rate
Reviewed August 14, 2006

All I can say is that I was extremely disappointed with the Pollard. The hotel costed a premium (about $200) compared to other hotels in town and was certainly not worth the money. Cramped rooms (barely room for the bed, I've seen bigger rooms near Times Square in NYC), poor service (the hotel is entirely staffed by teenagers), and shabby cleaning all impacted our ability to appreciate our stay. We found ourselves looking at hotels like the 'Super 8' and wishing we had stayed there.

I have stayed in historic hotels before, unfortunately I doubt there is a definition what it means to be a historic hotel but I usually would consider 'well maintained' to be a trait. By that definition I would call the Pollard simply 'old' and 'run-down' as opposed to 'historic'.

The included breakfast was nice, it helped me to feel a bit less ripped off with my stay.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Seattle_member
Reviewed July 29, 2006

I needed a nice place to stop on a long road trip and The Pollard met my expectations. Clean room, great breakfast, nice and quiet. I must admit, I'm partial to rooms that have puffy terry cloth robes.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We were looking forward to a wonderful three days in a historic hotel with a taste of the Old West! What we received was a small room in a somewhat modern hotel whose air conditioning didn't work at night (maintenance said air conditioning doesn't work at night when the outside of the building gets a certain temperature!!!), a bathroom tinged with mildew, and a staff who did not know any answers to local questions, even those whose answers are on the Pollard"s web site!!! The sheets did not fit the queen bed and both the sheet and the mattress pad balled up continually during the night.
We left our small room after breakfast the first morning and had not returned until late in the evening. We were able to secure clean towels upon our return since our room was not cleaned or serviced at all. Most of the "staff" is young and very inexperienced. The day our room was cleaned, the bathroom was only partially cleaned.
The restaurant and the food are very good. Two of the nights it was closed for dinner, but we were not notified, even by a sign at breakfast.
Overall, we really felt as if we were taken for the amount of money charged for our stay.
There is NOTHING special about a stay at the Pollard. Go elsewhere!

• Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank FKW
Reviewed July 2, 2006

We arrived at 1:00 and were told check-in was 3:00pm.. The hotel lobby was very nice and looked historic. We asked if we could get rooms early, so they said they would have our rooms done next. We finally got our keys at 2:45, 15 mins early. That is okay, since it's still early.

From there it all goes downhill. The room is very small and the carpet is dirty. The bedsheets are clean, but dont look clean (makeup stains). The bathroom is cramped, one of the glasses in the bathroom has been used and is upright the other is upsidedown, the shampoo bottle is half empty, the shower does not drain (I can see hair in the drain). It was gross to think the shower was not cleaned because the employee would have certainly noticed the shower backing up immediately (It took almost 10 minutes to drain 2 inches of water after my shower). I complained about the shower draining and asked for a new room, but they were booked fully. The front desk employee offered to come up to "see what he could do"; however I declined since it was the middle of the night. The manager gave a 10% discount, which covered tax since the room as prepaid.

Breakfast was included and the restraurant had good food and service. But all our group talked about during breakfast was different problems in all our rooms.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank Trip25951
Reviewed May 2, 2006

We had really been looking forward to our stay at the Pollard, as we are staying at all historical hotels during our two weeks road trip. After having stayed at the Occidental in Buffalo, WY last night, maybe we had our hopes up too much (the Occidental is AMAZING and if you ever have a chance - go stay there!)... We were expecting to step into our room and step back in time - but the decor is actually very modern in the rooms and you would never know we were staying somewhere historical unless you step outside and look at the building. The room was nice though, just not what we had been looking forward to. We had booked the romance package, which includes dinner, breakfast, champagne, strawberries and a gift - - the only problem was that the restaurant was closed for dinner the night we were there, so we were given coupons to go up the street to dinner at Bridge Creek (which was good, but again, not what we paid for). So, if you're going to be staying here during the "shoulder" season - - call first to make sure the restaurant is open! This was our most expensive hotel and definitely the most disappointing so far... :( It kind of took the wind out of our sails, but we're not going to let it ruin our trip and we're looking forward to our next historical hotel tomorrow night in Cody, WY! (Please don't think I'm a complainer - see my reviews on the Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, WY and the Nagle Warren Mansion in Cheyenne - two places you should go visit!!)

• Stayed: May 2006