“Old West elegance”
Review of The Pollard

The Pollard
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Red Lodge
Reviewed November 10, 2007

The Pollard is an old property that is in the process of being upgraded/renovated. The lobby and dining renovations are complete and it appears that all but the smaller rooms are complete as well.
We had a fabulous stay as we were upgraded to a luxury suite (the room we were originally assigned had several housekeeping issues that were resolved by moving us) so this is review is a bit biased toward the positive!
The Luxury suite is large with windows on two sides and a great view with a two person jacuzzi in the bathroom........how can you go wrong???
We looked into other rooms---the larger standard rooms looked fine but, until renovations are complete, avoid the smaller rooms. And be advised, the smaller standard rooms are VERY small---think European small.
If you can afford to book one of the larger rooms, you will love the Pollard. The location is the center of town (town is only two blocks long) and the property looks very nice upon entry. I'm not sure you would feel you had a good experience or got good value in the smaller rooms.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2007

Although it's reportedly over 100 years old, we found it to be in excellent shape and extremely convenient; with many shops, restaurants and bars within a couple of blocks. While we heard the rooms were small, ours was quite adequate and well appointed.

The free breakfast - anything on the menu (steak and eggs for me, salmon eggs benedict for my wife) - was excellent and got me thinking I made a mistake by not eating dinnner there the night before (good food, nice touches!). All in all, we loved the place and would defintinely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We booked a night on the morning of the day of our arrival. There was no mention of their policy of charging the credit card immediately. We arrived at 1:00 pm and were told to check back at 3:00 pm. (This was after we spent 15 minutes looking for someone.) After having lunch and sightseeing, we returned at 3:45 and were told the room was not ready. We left and found a B&B where the owner was cordial, the inn beautiful,and the price $60 cheaper. We called to cancel the room at the Pollard and were told that the room was now ready and we would be charged anyway. No discussion. We still stayed at the B&B(Rocky Forks Inn).

2  Thank durfee73
Reviewed July 27, 2007

We stayed at the Pollard 2 nights in June. We found our room to be very clean, comfortable,impressive with king size bed and jacuzzi and inside balcony..
The price of $90.00 a night was well worth it. Breakfast was included in our stay each morning with anything on the breakfast menu to choose from. The food was excellent.
The location in the center of the city was handy, with many shops and resturants and local pubs. I found the people in town to be very friendly and helpful.
The view that surround the town is beautiful with Beartooth pass not far away.
I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2007

I stayed at The Pollard with my husband after our wedding in the close town of Joliet. The staff were very nice and accomadating. We stayed in the King Suite that had a huge jacuzzi tub (big enough for 4)! The room looked out over "the gallery" which was nice. The hotel was also nicely decoarted for the holiday season, since we stayed December 9th.

The feature I liked the best, though, is the complimentary breakfast that comes with a room reservation. It is in their attached restaurant called The Dining Room. The food was delicious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling through Red Lodge, and I would recommend The Dining Room for anyone around the Red Lodge area.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjm2006
Reviewed August 14, 2006

All I can say is that I was extremely disappointed with the Pollard. The hotel costed a premium (about $200) compared to other hotels in town and was certainly not worth the money. Cramped rooms (barely room for the bed, I've seen bigger rooms near Times Square in NYC), poor service (the hotel is entirely staffed by teenagers), and shabby cleaning all impacted our ability to appreciate our stay. We found ourselves looking at hotels like the 'Super 8' and wishing we had stayed there.

I have stayed in historic hotels before, unfortunately I doubt there is a definition what it means to be a historic hotel but I usually would consider 'well maintained' to be a trait. By that definition I would call the Pollard simply 'old' and 'run-down' as opposed to 'historic'.

The included breakfast was nice, it helped me to feel a bit less ripped off with my stay.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Seattle_member
Reviewed July 29, 2006

I needed a nice place to stop on a long road trip and The Pollard met my expectations. Clean room, great breakfast, nice and quiet. I must admit, I'm partial to rooms that have puffy terry cloth robes.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple