“Nice Place if You're in Red Lodge”

Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Red Lodge
More attraction details
Owner description: Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary is the only public refuge in Montana to house native animals that cannot be returned to the wild due to injury or habituation to humans. We care for over 40 animals and birds, many placed here by Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks, including wolves, mountain lions, black bears, bison, elk, bobcat, fox, coyote, eagles, hawks, owls and many more. The sanctuary offers visitors an unparalleled chance to learn about these and other animals by observing them at close range and through interpretive displays.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My children love animals, so while we were staying in Red Lodge, we spent about 90 minutes at the wildlife sanctuary.

While my review might only be average, I wanted to say that the work the Sanctuary does is fantastic. They are wonderful people doing much needed work to take care of animals in need. Some were surrendered by owners and some rescued in the wild.

The only reason I rated this as average was that it was difficult to see many of the animals, mainly because of the characteristics of the animals themselves. Some are nocturnal or just plain shy. So many times when we passed an exhibit for a mountain lion or other animal, we didn't see anything.

The bears were out and about, as were the wolves. They were very nice to see. My son and daughter loved the miniature horses and donkeys.

If you're not staying in Red Lodge, I'm not sure I'd recommend a long drive to visit, but if you're staying on the northern side of Yellowstone and didn't see a bear or wolf in the park, you can take the amazing drive on the Beartooth Highway over to Red Lodge and see both.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The northeast part of Yellowstone is much less crowded during the summer months than the more popular NW or Teton entrances. The Lamar valley has all the animals and less traffic you will not be disappointed

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Road construction that hampered our travels as we were on a schedule but still a great motorcycle ride.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had heard so much about this place and when I arrived; I was so disappointed...There were lots of animal enclosures; but the animals were in hiding....I saw only 6 animals....I don't think I will go back...It might have been a bad day for the animals like we people have...but I was impressed....Sorry....

2  Thank DLewis_10
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This stop kept our children (7) and (4) greatly entertained on a hot summer afternoon. Did you know that magpies can talk? Yep, we heard Harry say his name! The buffalo and the big cats were a treat as well.!