“A Bit Better OK”

Dining options: Late Night
Billings, Montana
“A Bit Better OK”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I had lunch at Foster & Logan's Pub & Grill on Memorial Day. The restaurant was full, even at 1:00 p.m. F&L is a pub style restaurant with both open table seating and some bar seating. It is very informal. The restaurant serves beer and also has a full liquor bar. F&L has a FB page but they do not have a menu posted on it.

I was looking forward to a good sandwich and could not decide between the Reuben Sandwich and the Smoked Gouda Steak Sandwich. They both sounded delicious. So, my wife ordered one and I ordered the other, then we each had half of either kind. I kind of have a thing for Reuben sandwiches and like to compare them from one restaurant to another. The sandwiches were $9.95 each.

The half Reuben I had at F&L was good but nothing special. There was lots of meat on it, and lots of sauerkraut but there just didn't seem to be any pizzazz about the sandwich. It seemed pretty bland. The sauerkraut didn't have any "bite" to it nor did the corned beef. And, I don't recall tasting any of the 1000 Island dressing described in the menu. One thing that I did like about it is that it was on a full, dark Russian Rye bread. The bread was dry toasted, not grilled. That made for fingers that didn't get greasy, but it also eliminated that nice buttery flavor of a grilled sandwich.

The half Smoked Gouda Steak Sandwich was also just "OK". The meat filling was a bit on the shy side and there should have been an ounce or two more. The meat was very tender and was served in a Hoagie style bun. I seem to remember the menu description as being sliced Rib-Eye but not sure. The smoked Gouda made for an interesting flavor, but something was missing. I think it could be improved by a very light spread of horseradish mayo or some other tangy dressing.

Sandwiches are served with the house-fried potato chips which were very good and only lightly salted. They were crispy and light. The server asked if we would like to have fries or onion rings in lieu of chips so we chose the fries for one of the meals. When the bill came we found out that the fries and/or onion rings are an up-sale for an extra $1.50. I'm sure it said it somewhere on the menu but the server made it sound like it was an equal cost option.

We ended up with a very helpful server, but noticed that even though the restaurant had four servers, only one seemed to be working efficiently. The servers also seemed to wander from table to table with none of them having a prescribed area of seating to work. Our primary server (because at least one other came by a couple time) was easy to understand, cleaned tables as soon as they were empty, filled orders quickly, and "just had it all together". The others just seemed as thought they needed twice as many steps to accomplish the same amount of work and service. Unfortunately, I can't remember her name to give her kudos.

We will probably go back to Foster & Logan's again for lunch. Perhaps the meals seemed bland to me because I was having an "off" day. Another visit should clear that up.

• Visited May 2014

New York City, New York
“not bad.”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

It wasn't as good this time as on our previous trips. Almost seemed like we were more of a pest than customers.food came out cold because the waitress was spending more time talking to her boyfriend and his friends than waiting on us . Don't know if we'll go back.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Nick C
Powell, Wyoming
“Great food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My boyfriend and I split the fish and chips, and both agreed it was the best fish we'd had since our last Wisconsin Friday Fish-fry a few years ago (that's a good thing). They have a lot of sports memorabilia to look at, a few TVs with different sports channels on and a great selection of tap beers.

Visited January 2014
Redwood Falls, Minnesota
“Good place for lunch”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Just went there for lunch and we has a good meal. Food took awhile to be delivered but it was good once we got it. I'd recommend the fish and chips.

• Visited December 2013
Hines, Oregon
“Cajun Catfish Tacos”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My friend who resides in Red Lodge picked this place for dinner (Oct. 25)when we visited her recently so I knew it would be good!...we both ate the catfish tacos-I will be craving them all winter!

• Visited October 2013