“Pretty building, paper thin walls.”

KwaTaqNuk Resort & Casino
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Polson
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We arrived at the hotel and the front desk clerk was on the phone and dealing with what sounded like a computer issue (talked about the server, was futzing with the computer while she chatted, etc.) She greeted us after her relatively long (5-10 minute) conversation was over. In retrospect, I would've appreciated a little eye contact and acknowledgment from her. But, she was polite and we asked her if the Thai restaurant we'd passed was any good. She mentioned that it is and she would love to have dinner there herself, but that no one was around to cover the desk for her.

We loaded in and noted that the rooms and lobby were very attractive and inviting. Had I brought a book with me, I would've wanted to sit on the comfy couch in the lobby and read. We requested a lakeside view and there were no boats docked so it was quiet and pleasant on our little patio.

The bed was really comfortable (we went with a king bed) and the room itself was spacious.

At dinner, we decided to order a little something to take back to the desk clerk, since by the time she got off work the restaurant would've been closed. When we brought it back for her, she was oddly cool about it. I don't know if she was thrown off by a stranger, or a customer, going ahead and bringing her food she hadn't asked for, but she replied with a very casual "oh thanks". I felt like I had just returned a pen she'd lent me rather than gone out of my way to do her a favor.

I stopped at the store and picked up some ear plugs before we settled in for the night. I'm really glad I did that, because before I put them in I kept hearing things from the hallway. I can't even say the people were being that loud (except when I could hear things coming all the way from the casino area). At one point I looked outside to see what the noise was and it was just three adult men walking down the hallway. They weren't stomping especially loudly and the weren't running; just their normal walking caused a lot more noise that I would've thought possible.

I was grossed out to discover lots of dirty specks on the underside of the toilet seat as well as in the crevice of the lid closest to the seat (the one that a chambermaid would have to work a little bit to clean well; it's not the most easy part to reach, but since it's visible to guests I would think it's worth the effort). I decided to shower with flip flops on after that since I assumed that other areas of bathroom cleaning probably went by the wayside, too.

The next morning, we discovered that someone(s?) had attempted to peel our Obama "Hope" bumper sticker off of our car (they succeeded in removing the two upper corners). I am not sure if that was a hotel patron or not (though the woman at check-in mentioned that lots of people just come by to use the casino), but regardless I would not choose to stay in this hotel again. We live in another part of Montana, in a fairly conservative area, but we've never had anyone actually vandalize our vehicle before.

I'd rather give a different hotel a shot next time we're in Polson just due to the rude, weird, and unfortunate experiences we had here. Vandalism is rude, the desk clerk food thing was weird, and ultimately my hotel room should at least allow me to have a relatively restful night, even if I forget my ear plugs at home. I'd rather have better insulated walls between which I can get a restful night's sleep than a pretty hotel in which I cannot any day. At the very least, that is what I am paying for when I spend my money to stay overnight someplace that isn't my home. If it can't even serve that purpose, what's the point?

2  Thank Penella

Reviewed September 9, 2010

All rooms overlook a beautiful lake. Ours even had a tiny balcony. Room was clean & comfortable. Restaurant in hotel was understaffed but had good food. There is a casino in the hotel but we don't gamble.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

The front desk clerks were uninformed on service dog regulations by the ADA / Dept of Justice and charged me $25 for having my friend's service dog in our room:
"Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets. However, a public accommodation may charge its customers with disabilities if a service animal causes damage."

Not only that, when I had checked in, my room should have been paid for on the CC on file. They told me that I could not check in unless I gave a new CC with my ID. The room was to be paid for by my mother, a bride-to-be that weekend, as my gift for being in the wedding. I wasn't about to make her come to the hotel just to pay for my room!

Other than that the housekeeping was great. We were in a clean room & it was cleaned during our stayover very promptly. Our only complaint on the room was that we were awoken at 5:30am & 6:30am on consecutive mornings because we could hear the shower plumming from the room above us. It was VERY loud & we are very light sleepers.

For us, the hotel should have been more informed on ADA regulations and a little bit more pleasant at the front desk. Other than that, it really isn't a bad hotel. Our trip just wasn't worth the price.

Reviewed August 12, 2010

My husband and I spent one quick night at this hotel, but it was a lovely evening.
We booked a lakeside room on the ground floor, and like another reviewer mentioned, we had a door that opened right onto a patio with a table and two chairs, which was overlooking the dock. There was not a single boat attached to the dock, so it was completely quiet outside.
In addition to the beautiful view, there was free wireless internet and a really comfy bed. There are amazing historic photos in the hallways of the First Native people from the area - the photos are just stunning.

The only drawback - a 'resort fee.' Yes this property is on a lake and has an indoor pool, but there wasn't really any justification for this 'fee.'

That said, we still had a really lovely evening there.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Pleasant stay with good staff and a decent restaurant. Properly priced and a well appointed and clean room. The place is nice and in a nice location. Everyone was very pleasant and accomodating. I would stay here again. It is appropriately priced for it's class.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I am a business traveler and had a 10 night business trip. I am a Gold Level with Choice, Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn. This was my third night out.

The location was easy to find. My room was suitable. The lake/mountain view was incredible and right outside the door. I was excited!

THE NOISE WAS OVERWHELMING! The motor boats were taking off from the dock right outside my room. There were LOTS of little children running up and down the hall....bouncing balls and screaming...until after 10:00 p.m. There parents sent them back out into the hall at 6:00 a.m. I was there for a meeting and needed some quiet rest. My room rate was $140 plus with and added $9.95 resort tax ( I was told this was to sleep in the bed...what?)

For this price, I would absolutely skip it! At booking, I asked for a quiet room, called ahead and requested one...reminded them at check it. I was told, "this is what we have..."

The area itself was GORGEOUS but I got no sleep! I hope to get to Montana again but will NOT stop here! The stay could have been wonderful but fell severely short of my expectations!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2010

If you stay at this Best Western be sure to request a room with a view of the lake - it is awesome! The room we had was on the main floor and had a front door from the hallway but also had a backdoor with a patio, table and chairs, grass, and a gorgeous view of the lake. We brought our dog along so having the backdoor was awesome! The room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable with a nice comforter. They have a computer in the lobby to use for internet access. The parking lot near our room wasn't paved so it was a challenge to navigate the mud puddles.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple