Polebridge Mercantile and Cabins
Lodge at Whitefish Lake(Whitefish)(Great Value!)
$119
Glacier Guides Lodge(West Glacier)(Great Value!)
$167
Travelocity
The Firebrand Hotel(Whitefish)(Great Value!)
$124
$113
  • Restaurant
Downtowner Inn(Whitefish)
$110
$88
Grouse Mountain Lodge(Whitefish)(Great Value!)
$114
Kandahar Lodge(Whitefish)
Hotels.com
Belton Chalet(West Glacier)
Hotels.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
Garden Wall Inn(Whitefish)
All reviewshuckleberry bear clawsbowman lakepastrynorthern lightswest glacieroff gridawesome baked goodsouthousesalooncamasparkwildernessmercmountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I am a newcomer to Whitefish. Friends kept talking about staying in the North Fork for a weekend. Camping doesn't interest me so I got a cabin at the Polebridge Mercantile. It was awful! Mouse poop everywhere. I had some of their bear claws. They were good but not worth the trip. The building the bakery is in is old and loaded with flies. It made me ponder how many of the flies had landed on my bear claw before I ate it. There were all sorts of people who just hung around with all sorts of stupid stuff going on. It sort of gave me the creeps. I have since learned that if I go back to the North Fork again it is better to rent one of the forest service cabins or one of those private cabins in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Sheila C
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Going to the Polebridge Mercantile is like taking a step back in time. The structure is historic and striking. Walking into the "Merc" reminds me of how vital shops like this were to the people who lived in the area long ago. We stop here once or twice a year... anytime we are in Montana. The most fantastic thing about this place is the bakery!!! Whether you like sweet or savory, pastry cookies or bread they make it all! And everything that they make is fresh and has been well worth the trip to get there every time. I have also found one of a kind gifts for special occasions. The staff has always been helpful and friendly. We also have enjoyed staying in the cabins. They have been clean & comfortably rustic. I recommend stopping and staying here.

Room Tip: We have enjoyed all of the cabins over the years.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dentosd
Reviewed November 27, 2011

A unique stop while traveling through rough forest service roads. A welcome oasis in a beautiful location. The turnovers were amazing, but mere words of description can not emphasize how delightful they were. The apple and cherry turnovers were the best we have ever had. These items made the journey worth the trip. Wonderful charm of mercantile added to experience. A must see!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Let me start by saying that we didn't stay in the cabins, but TA has this under a lodging entry, so...
We had an afternoon with several unplanned hours, and I had always been curious about Polebridge. It sounded interesting, and with Belly River country it is one of the parts of Glacier you have to visit before you can say you've seen Glacier. I had seen several reviews on the Web bemoaning changes resulting from new management, but I believe in living in the moment. The neighborhood where you grew up is doubtless different, but not better or worse - "You can never go home".
The drive to Polebridge was scenic, and informative given the overlooks explaining the fairly recent wildfire history of the area. Polebridge greets you with a sign saying, "Slow, People Breathing". It let's you know that you have left Standard Touristworld. You're only a little more than twenty miles north of Apgar/West Glacier, but it's more than a twenty minute drive on Forest Service roads!
The mercantile has a little of everything, in a rural, relaxed atmosphere. Part convenience store, where I found Glucosamine for my knees, which nobody thought I would find closer than Kalispell (Thanks for a small rescue!). Part souvenir shop and book exchange (Reading seems like it would be a major entertainment here), and a notable bakery. Their baked goods come regularly from the back, and they are GOOD! We bought two huckleberry bear claws for the next day's breakfast, and it was all we could do to wait for morning - so we got some huckleberry brownies to tide us over. What can I say? I believe huckleberry is one of the "perfect" foods! Everything was deliciously non-dietetic!
If we get back to Glacier for more hiking, the Mercantile will be a definite stop!

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the cabins, so no tips to give.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HowlnBubba
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We were planning on going to McDonald Lake but the road was washed out...we stopped at Polebridge simply to stretch our legs...we actually fell in love with the place. To say the staff was polite is an understatement...and the bakery...OMG...we are planning our next trip (September) and plan on spending more time in Polebridge...maybe stay in one of the cabins for a night or two.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family