“Do not stay in the Discovery Room if you don't want to wake up at 7AM sharp!”
Review of The Broadway Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Philipsburg
The Broadway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed February 4, 2013

So, I wanted to love this place and was set up to the second we walked in. The decor is so cozy, there are lots of cool amenities including a tea/coffee bar, flat-screen tv in the room, sauna in the room (!), comfortable king bed, and plenty of free movies, games, books, and DVDs to use during your stay. Plus, the hotel is perfectly located next to the new excellent Philipsburg Brewing Company in the heart of downtown. Dogs are even allowed in some of the rooms, a plus for us even though we didn't bring ours this trip.

So now for the negative.... I have actually waited a few days to write this just to get some perspective and not be overly angry. I need my sleep, and when I go to hotels, it is primarily for a temporary home away from home where I can relax and not be disturbed. Part of the reason I let the proprietor of the hotel convince me to upgrade to the Discovery Room (no small expense at $139) was that I was looking forward to sleeping in on the big king bed with my fiancé. Since we were in town for a reunion with friends just for a night, I knew the morning would be our only time to enjoy the room. We stayed out until 2AM catching up with our friends and got back to enjoy a quick sauna (lovely!) and crash on the glorious bed. The kitchen is situated directly next to the Discovery Room, but I figured the 8AM-9AM continental breakfast would be a quiet, simple affair with maybe a sign to respect the sleeping guests.

Not so!! At 7AM sharp, we awoke to loud banging around the kitchen that was likely the proprietor preparing breakfast. I put my earplugs in and could still hear every stir of a spoon and clanging of a dish, which only got worse when people started arriving to the kitchen. It actually felt like the kitchen was inside of our room. Instead of encouraging quiet, the owner was the loudest of all, giving tours of the hotel and striking up loud conversations with guests (passing by our room she seemed to yell, "And people are still in this one," which made me extra angry for the noise since it was clearly not for lack of knowledge that we were there and sleeping!). This noise lasted until 10AM when we had to face that we weren't getting back to sleep and got up in order to check out at 11. So total, we got 4.5 hours of sleep.

I understand that many travelers who go through there are skiers and would be getting up at 7 anyway. If this is you, you'll likely really enjoy this place. Also the loudness could have just been due to where our room was, and the other rooms might not have this problem. But getting sleep is the primary purpose of a hotel room, and it totally failed for us. Very cute hotel, but loudest experience I have ever had! It would do them well to make sure all the doors are soundproof!!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank CCHunt
BroadwayHotelMT, Owner at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Hi: Thank you for your very nice comments on the room and the hotel. I am sorry for your disappointing lack of sleep in The Discovery Room and your experience of loud noise. I set the kitchen up the night before with dishes, coffee ready to go, etc. I try to be as quiet as possible when I come in at 7:30am to set out the fruit, other foods, and juice. Guests do have breakfast between 8 and 9 am. After breakfast some want to see other rooms before they leave. I don't shush them but I try to talk quietly if I know someone is next to a room I am showing. If I was loud and disturbed you, I offer my apologies. I don't have the intent of chasing away my guests - I want them to return. I hope you will give us another chance and show you how wonderful our rooms are and what a good night sleep you can get.
Sue
Broadway Hotel.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a great hotel! It is beautifully decorated throughout and all of the rooms are unique. It offers different amenities such as a whirpool, in-room sauna, fireplace, a library, etc. All the things that make you feel like you are on vacation but the hotel is so cozy and the owner is so welcoming, it makes you feel like you are at home. It is in a great location, walking-distance(1 or 2 blocks) to a brewery, awesome bbq place, candy store, nice restaurant--everything Philipsburg has to offer. We went skiing at Discovery mountain, which was great fun. At first we were hesitant to stay in Philipsburg because we thought we would want one of the places closer to the mountain, but the drive to the mountain takes no time at all and the scenery is amazing! Not to mention it was fun to have Philipsburg to come back to and kick off your ski boots and have some fun and being able to walk back to your room at the end of the night!

I would recommend this place to anyone and will be going back myself!

Jennifer

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
BroadwayHotelMT, Manager at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Jennifer,
Thank you so very much for your kind review. We are so happy that you had such a good time at Discovery and felt so comfortable staying with us. We love to hear that our guests feel at home with us and enjoyed their stay. We look forward to you coming back and staying with us in the future.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

comfortable, clean, period decorated rooms; a big sitting room with a warm stove that is ideal for relaxing and talking in clusters of tables that are perfect ; there's even a little computer corner open to all; host Sue is warm, friendly, professional and serves up a big continental breakfast; next door is the recently opened Phillipsburg brewery with excellent beer and across the street is the Silver Mill restaurant bar (excellent food). What more could you want?

Room Tip: check the online pictures
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Stephen,
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review of The Broadway Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast Sue had for you and enjoyed the great Brewery next door to the hotel. It is nice to have such wonderful places like The Silver Mill and Brewery so close for our guest to enjoy. We hope we can accommodate you in the future for your lodging needs when you come to Philipsburg.

Sheila

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was making a little tour through Montana,in oct 2012 with a friend,when we stopped at the Broadway hotel in Philipsburg.The doors were closed, no problem,Mike from the Brewery called the owner,who was shopping in Missoulla,while we were waiting for Margie 'the housekeeper' we cuddled with Bruce the dog and Olive the cat.Margie came and gave us the tour of the hotel, and said: make yourselves at home,if you go out,please close the door,here are the keys,ENJOY.
We decided right there and then to stay a day longer.That same evening we briefly met Sue,and ofcourse the next morning together with her lovely boxer callad Josie.
Its a GREAT place to stay,cozy, homey ,you name it! I hope one day I get the chance to visit Sue and Josie and ofcourse her "staff" again.I had a great time.grtz from holland love Pamela P

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Pamela,
Thank you so very much for the kind review you gave The Broadway Hotel. We are so glad Mike was able to reach Sue and you decided to stay with us. Being a small town all of the businesses in town really do work together and I am glad you had a good time with "Bruce and Olive" . We hope if you travel back to the Philipsburg area that you will visit us again and have a chance to visit with Sue and Josie a little longer. Our goal is to have our guests have a memorable stay with us and feel at home.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Really great to see such a beautiful old building renovated so well. Together with the town it felt like I had gone back in time. Sue was great. A hostel like feel and friendless but with a terrific private room and bath. All around a great experience. I look forward to bringing my family back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review of your stay with us at The Broadway Hotel. We are glad you appreciated all the beautiful work Sue did in renovating the hotel. We love to hear when our guests feel they have had a great experience. We hope that you come back in the future and stay with us again.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

to think we might have missed this place were it not for a rave review from a couple we met in Glacier. This is one of those really special places that is a labor of love. There are several rooms with different themes...Traveler's Room, Sportsman's Room, Brittania Room, and Andes Room to name just a few. Although we arrived in the evening after the owner, Sue, had retired to her own house adjacent to the hotel, she left us a key and we found our way to our room, the Sportsman's. Wow! It was a huge room with a street view, decorated very tastefully with skis, sleds, ice skates, and beautiful bed linens. We settled in a bit before heading across the street for a nightcap, and in the morning we met our host as she was preparing breakfast in a common kitchen. There is another large and charming common dining/sitting room where we met a few other people.
If you love hearing about peoples' life stories and don't like the feel of a big hotel, this is the place for you. It is obvious that Sue has had a very interesting life of traveling, and how lucky for us that she is sharing it with us. We could not have felt more welcome, and as we lingered at the desk talking to her as we departed, we knew we would be back some day. What a find.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so very much for your kind review of The Broadway Hotel. We love when our guests enjoy all the special touches that Sue has given the hotel. We like that guests do not feel like they are in a big chain hotel and feel more like they are at home in a cozy setting. We hope to see you again when you travel to the Philipsburg area.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hard to decide between a 3 or a 4 for this very nicely decorated boutique hotel. The reason I went for a 3 is that I think The Broadway Hotel doesn't work for every kind of traveler. If you are after a nicely decorated place and like to know more about the history of the region, then rate it a 4 or even a 5. But in our case, for a rushed stop-over in Philipsburg the B&B feel was only OK.

On the Plus side: very thoughtful decoration, comfortable room, helpful warm and friendly service, great lounge and nice homey continental breakfast, great value for money.

On the OK side: our bed was very soft. Works great for some people, but not for me.

On the Minus side: acoustics is poor (this is an old building) so be prepared to hear anything going on in the corridor.

Room Tip: We had the Cross Cut room, a smaller room but still OK size, especially for the price we paid. I jus...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review to Trip TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us had a few issues. You are correct in older historic buildings even though we put in sound boards, there are times that some people may hear more outside noise then others. We try to provide top line beds and for some the pillow top mattress's may be softer then they are used to. We are happy that you enjoyed the time and effort that was given in renovating the hotel and hearing about the history of the area.
Sheila & Sue

Been to The Broadway Hotel? Share your experiences!