“Terrific Find in Montana”
Review of The Broadway Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Philipsburg
The Broadway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Philipsburg
Newman Lake, Washington
“Terrific Find in Montana”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Really great to see such a beautiful old building renovated so well. Together with the town it felt like I had gone back in time. Sue was great. A hostel like feel and friendless but with a terrific private room and bath. All around a great experience. I look forward to bringing my family back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
BroadwayHotelMT, Manager at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review of your stay with us at The Broadway Hotel. We are glad you appreciated all the beautiful work Sue did in renovating the hotel. We love to hear when our guests feel they have had a great experience. We hope that you come back in the future and stay with us again.
Sheila & Sue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 14, 2012

to think we might have missed this place were it not for a rave review from a couple we met in Glacier. This is one of those really special places that is a labor of love. There are several rooms with different themes...Traveler's Room, Sportsman's Room, Brittania Room, and Andes Room to name just a few. Although we arrived in the evening after the owner, Sue, had retired to her own house adjacent to the hotel, she left us a key and we found our way to our room, the Sportsman's. Wow! It was a huge room with a street view, decorated very tastefully with skis, sleds, ice skates, and beautiful bed linens. We settled in a bit before heading across the street for a nightcap, and in the morning we met our host as she was preparing breakfast in a common kitchen. There is another large and charming common dining/sitting room where we met a few other people.
If you love hearing about peoples' life stories and don't like the feel of a big hotel, this is the place for you. It is obvious that Sue has had a very interesting life of traveling, and how lucky for us that she is sharing it with us. We could not have felt more welcome, and as we lingered at the desk talking to her as we departed, we knew we would be back some day. What a find.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your kind review of The Broadway Hotel. We love when our guests enjoy all the special touches that Sue has given the hotel. We like that guests do not feel like they are in a big chain hotel and feel more like they are at home in a cozy setting. We hope to see you again when you travel to the Philipsburg area.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hard to decide between a 3 or a 4 for this very nicely decorated boutique hotel. The reason I went for a 3 is that I think The Broadway Hotel doesn't work for every kind of traveler. If you are after a nicely decorated place and like to know more about the history of the region, then rate it a 4 or even a 5. But in our case, for a rushed stop-over in Philipsburg the B&B feel was only OK.

On the Plus side: very thoughtful decoration, comfortable room, helpful warm and friendly service, great lounge and nice homey continental breakfast, great value for money.

On the OK side: our bed was very soft. Works great for some people, but not for me.

On the Minus side: acoustics is poor (this is an old building) so be prepared to hear anything going on in the corridor.

Room Tip: We had the Cross Cut room, a smaller room but still OK size, especially for the price we paid. I jus...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review to Trip TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us had a few issues. You are correct in older historic buildings even though we put in sound boards, there are times that some people may hear more outside noise then others. We try to provide top line beds and for some the pillow top mattress's may be softer then they are used to. We are happy that you enjoyed the time and effort that was given in renovating the hotel and hearing about the history of the area.
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

found this hotel by accident returning to calgary from yellowstone.Absolutely fabulous hotel in very interesting small town.Every room designed in a different theme.Furnishings and decor top class.Dining room and kitchen beautiful and breakfast top class. Service excellent and very friendly would recomend a stay at this high class establishment if given the chance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BroadwayHotelMT, Owner at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Roger; Thank you for your very kind review. i'm glad you found The Broadway to your liking and breakfast was 'top class.' Please come and see us again.

Sue
Broadway Hotel
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I were driving through Montana hunting down ghost towns and happened upon The Broadway. What a wonderful and delightful experience. The decor and ambiance of the hotel are delightful. It is polished, clean, elegant and especially unlike any place you will ever stay. The sitting room is gorgeous and each individual room is a work of art. Sue is an amazing hostess. She was there to greet us even though we did not expect her due to our late arrival and she made sure we were able to get settled. The continental breakfast was especially nice. All the freshest of fruits and guests gathered around Sue's kitchen chatting as if they had been friends for life. This hotel is reminiscent of a not too distant past with all the amenities and comfort to make your visit to Philipsburg one you will want to repeat again. Thank you Sue for the dinner suggestions and for making our weekend one I will treasure for ever. I cannot wait to see you again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alex: Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I enjoyed meeting you both and really wish you would come back so we could visit again! You are great guests and lovely people to know. Thank you!

Sue
Broadway Hotel
Spokane Valley, Washington
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just returned from a girls weekend in Montana, where we stayed at the Broadway Hotel. We stayed in the small cottage behind the hotel, which we thought was going to be great. It's a really cute cottage, and a great value for what you get (two bedrooms, bathroom, full kitchen). However, if you plan to stay, make sure you ask if your room is pet-friendly. I do not have allergies, so I never think to ask, but two of the women I was with have severe allergies to pet dander. The first night we were there, we spent much of the time outside and in the kitchen area (where there isn't any upholstry or fabric), so it wasn't until the morning and we woke up that the women noticed their runny noses, burning lungs and watery eyes. We went to speak with the hotel owner about the situation, to which she replied that she was sorry but she couldn't do anything about it. She explained that the two ladies would have to stay in another hotel. She did help them find another hotel, which we then had to pay for as well. The remaining friend and I decided to stay at The Broadway, but obviously did not need to stay in the big cottage anymore, and although there was an open room, she did not let us move to it, saying that she would not be able to rent out the cottage for that evening if we moved.

Now, I am a business owner myself, and I realize that you need to have clear policies for people, otherwise you would get taken advantage of. However, situations do arise that are simply unfortunate situations, and result from miscommunication. I realize that we should have asked ahead of time about the pet policy, but as the business owner, you always have the power to help rectify a situation. She could have said "I'm so sorry, I can't refund the larger cottage, but I can help you cover the difference to stay in another room", or "I'm so sorry this happened, and we would love you to come back, so let me refund you this room tonight", or even, "I'm sorry, lets let you switch rooms and we'll split the difference".

If I ran my business in this way, I wouldn't have a business. Word of mouth, in addition to customer service are two of the biggest things we stress to our staff, and we bend over backwards to keep people happy, which in turn, gives us a healthy bottom line.

My two friends ended up staying down the road at the Kaiser Hotel, which was great. If we return to Philipsburg (which was a really fun little town), that is where we will be staying.

Room Tip: Ask about pet policy
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ejohnson95
BroadwayHotelMT, Owner at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Erin: I was saddened to read the review of your stay in The Miner's Snug. I thought I had done all I could to help you sort out your problem including a credit to your card for the two girls who didn't stay the second night. I'm sorry for your disappointment with our service.

You all seemed to have such a good time at the Snug even the second night. As I live next door, I could hear your laughter and merriment.

Sue Mays
Owner
Broadway Hotel.
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

First I want to apologize for getting this review in so late, but life happens. Anyway, my husband and I had no plans and hit the road out west for 4th of July week. We figured we would stay where ever we found room. We went to Montana to mine for sapphires and were not disappointed. We arrived at the Broadway Motel to find the door locked as we did not have reservations. I called the phone number on the door and Sue met us right away to get us all settled in, she took time to show us around the place. There is a full kitchen and if you have any beverages you can place then in the fridge. You are also able to help your self at night to coffee and tea. There is a large sitting area with books, movies and games for your enjoyment. We had to stay in two different rooms which was no fault of our own for not having reservations, but both rooms were great. Sue had a continental breakfast ready each morning and we were also greeted each morning by her wonderful dog Josie who I loved, made me miss my dog who couldn't make the trip with me. Sue is a wonderful host and if I ever find myself in Philipsburg, MT again I will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teri F
Dear Terri: It was so nice to meet you and thanks so much for your lovely review. It was our pleasure to have you stay and hope you can come and visit us in the near future. Josie is a doll, and most guests enjoy meeting her because of not having their pets with them. I do take her back to the house if guests are not happy with a dog in the hotel - it does happen, but not often.

I hope your trip back home was enjoyable and safe.

Thanks again and very best wishes to you.

Sue.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Boulder Creek Lodge Montana
#3 of 5 in Philipsburg
The Ranch at Rock Creek
The Ranch at Rock Creek
#1 of 5 in Philipsburg

Been to The Broadway Hotel? Share your experiences!