$85
$110
$139
Motel 6(Hamilton)
$76
All reviewshorseback ridingthe main lodgefly fishingsporting claystop notchsilver dollar saloonbowling alleyfive starropes coursechef joshevery mealworld classattention to detailclay shootingnatural beautyall agesheaven on earth
Reviewed September 2, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a six day vacation at the Ranch at Rock Creek in August 2014. After researching several other ranches in MT and WY, we made our decision to head to Big Sky country for some R&R. Great choice, wonderful trip!

Our lodging was in the Loft, the upper level of the Historic Barn, which featured a king bed, seating area, dining area, exceptional bathroom, tiny front porch, lovely views and a short mountain bike ride to the main lodge for meals.

Food was very good (quite flexible with breakfast and lunch, less so with dinner). Each evening we were delighted by an amuse-bouche served in the Great Room, as we gathered with other guests and chatted over cocktails. Meals ranged from elegant elk loin to homey pork in salsa verde, both delicious. Some dinners were served buffet-style at outdoor picnic tables, others in the beautiful and rustic Main Dining Room.

Clearly, the stars of the ranch are the staff. Never have I had so many people, upon our initial meeting, greet me by standing, smiling, with hands extended, as they introduce themselves. Most (somehow) already seemed to know my name. Very, very hospitable.

The ranch is set up to allow guests to choose a morning activity and an afternoon activity, all inclusive. We went riding every morning, a different trail each day. In the afternoons, we challenged ourselves with high ropes, fly fishing, rifles, pistols, shooting clays, archery. The staff really sets the guests up to succeed at each activity and I, for me, had a tremendous sense of accomplishment. The activities, of course, are in addition to the hammock and the pool.... We made it to the Saloon apres-dinner only once during our stay for bowling and after dinner drinks. In truth we were just really tired from the activities each day and opted for sleep.

So few negatives, but I will mention them. No rafting or tubing on the property. Both entail driving back to Missoula and additional fees. Oddly, the towels are clammy, even when fully dry (maybe the water is too soft or the towels are dried with fabric softeners). Cell service is awful but that's not really a negative.

Overall, the Ranch at Rock Creek was truly a five star vacation, fully living up to its Relais & Chateaux designation.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nanceliza
Jeffrey T, Front Office Manager at The Ranch at Rock Creek, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful, thorough review. We are thrilled that your experience was memorable and exciting. Our team loves to share our little corner of Montana with guests. The Rod & Gun Club will be pleased to hear that you and your husband felt accomplished in the variety of activities you tried – we focus on making sure our guests feel proficient after a morning or an afternoon of activity, whether they are first-timers or highly experienced in the sport. Most of all, we are thrilled we lived up to your high expectations and hope to welcome you back to The Ranch soon. Happy trails!

Reviewed August 26, 2014

My stay at the Ranch at Rock Creek is one of my most memorable vacations I've ever experienced amongst my travels, where I've touched on over forty different countries in the world.

The grounds are not only picturesque, but I'll just say that I bought a new camera in preparation to capture its beauty. I was not dismayed. The mornings are brisk, and when sunlight hits the rolling hills in the background, its colors are like gods paint palette. This is what I expected of grounds I guess.

As far as the service is concerned, I'll just say that never have I encountered such genuinely friendly and attentive service.

During my 5 days stay, I didn't have enough time to do all the activities. You can ride the horses out and back. You can get your blood pumping with the high-ropes course. You can hit the targets with a bow or with a pistol or shotgun of your choice. The Rodeo was really the main event, in my experience, after which I had a chance to eat and dine beside the ranchers and staff themselves beside a cowboy guitarist and campfire.

Last but not least, the food is exceptional. You'd come to a ranch in the midwest expecting some pretty limited choices. What you will find will surprise you.

I highly recommend any couples, families to take a retreat here. Its truly one of life's treats.

Room Tip: Each lodge has its own character. Travelers will have to find what suits their style best.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank CharlesBradleyW

It is such a compliment that someone as well-traveled as you has a glowing review of The Ranch experience. Our staff is proud of this special place and I’m glad you could feel that from your activity guides, at the rodeo and at the barbecue. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you ‘round these parts soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The Ranch at Rock Creek provides a marvelous, although expensive, Western experience. There are well organized activities (e.g., fishing, shooting, biking) for travelers, with or without children. The food is great and the service outstanding. The chef and sous chef are excellent as is Shannon, the bartender. The only negatives I could think of are that the nearest town, Philipsburg, is a must miss and that cell phone coverage is a bit of a problem.

Room Tip: I believe that any of the rooms would provide a quiet retreat.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MikeH1943
Reviewed August 2, 2014

The title refers to the Tuesday night experience as well as its five year old star. Much has been said about the beaming hospitality, the fabulous setting, the cuisine that would please even the finest gourmet's tastes, and our view matches those of the most exuberant previous reviewers. Seated on hay bales atop a wagon with a chilled beverage and a bag of either buttered or olive oil and peppered popcorn we had a front row opportunity to view skilled riding atop wildly bucking broncs and enraged bulls who were intent on punishing their riders. The barrel racing is capably performed by the ranch's own lovely female wranglers. Also expect to see team roping and breakaway roping as well as a show stopping five year old cowboy aptly named Rodeo. The professional events are interspersed with audience participation such as roping, boot races and parent/child wheelbarrow racing. All during the performance the announcers kept the guests interested and amused with appropriate stories and jokes. Afterwards, a genuine Western barbecue took place at the Blue Canteen adjacent to the rodeo arena. Replacing the gourmet menu that we enjoyed on all the other evenings was authentic cowboy fare and it, like all the rest of the meals we experienced was truly delicious. The chef circulated among all the guests and explained the preparation and the provenance of all the ingredients. If you're lucky enough to find space available at the ranch, be sure to be in residence on rodeo Tuesday.
Our six year old grandson attended the Little Grizzlies kids camp each day. He loved the activities, his campmates and most of all the activity leaders. We enjoyed the adult outdoor activities knowing he was well cared for and having fun.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank EscaladeEscapades

Thank you for writing such a lovely review of our weekly exhibition rodeo. We are constantly looking for ways to improve the guest experience, and the rodeo is no exception, but your evening sounds like it was flawless. Memorial Day to Labor Day, we have our Ranch at Rock Creek wranglers and local cowboys and cowgirls gather on Tuesdays to perform their events – whether to practice for competition rodeos or simply for the fun of it. Chef Josh’s Blue Canteen dinners are not to be missed and we are thrilled you were able to experience one with us! I will pass along your feedback regarding Little Grizzlies and how much your grandson enjoyed spending time with our guides. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Ranch one day. Until then, happy trails!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had high hopes for this place and it was actually as good as we were lead to believe....

Accomadation was large and priavte. Food was a wow factor each day. Activities were fun and the staff were all very professional.

Evening activities with bowling,pool, proper bar and bartender made it even better.

A place that we most definetly will go back to.....

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deaf_leopard

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the whole experience and that your high expectations were met and exceeded! We look forward to your return. Happy trails!