“AWESOME!!”

The Ranch at Rock Creek
Rye, New York
“AWESOME!!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My family just left a week at the ranch (my husband and I and our 11 year old daughter and 13 year old son). Every review raves about the food (it is incredible), the facilities (they are beautiful and no photo yet does them justice...as pretty as things look they are even better in person) and the staff for a reason. This place is truly exceptional. One person was nicer than the next. Without fail, they were kind, helpful, knowledgable and wanted to imbue their love for Montana, fishing, riding, etc...to their guests. The Ranch is so well run. The commitment from the owner and the managers to deliver a memorable experience is evident from the moment you are greeted.

We tried everything from riding, to archery, rifles, fly fishing, etc...Every activity and every single guide or wrangler was wonderful. They really go above and beyond to make your experience unique. The Activities Director and his staff do everything they can to encourage you to try it all and make sure you enjoy it.

The last night we were there I got the kids out of bed and we all went outside and just lied down and stared up at the stars. You have never seen stars like the ones in Montana! When we finally went inside my 13 year old hugged me and said "Thanks Mom. I'll never forget tonight or this trip." My daughter typed the title for this review and my husband thanked me for planning what he felt was the best family vacation of his life. So, thank you Ranch at Rock Creek. It was a magical week and we are deeply appreciative.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2013

It is as good as all the reviews indicate.
These folks can write the book on "customer-service!"

Posh "camp" for adults (and kids) with super fun, well designed activities with knowledgeable and friendly guides. Delicious food, fantastic (!!) service, and breath-taking property.

Warm and friendly atmosphere is set from the top with the GM couple (Kilgores) and runs throughout the entire staff. Whether one's goal is to get-away to relax in nature (being pampered) or to be highly active every moment of the day, it can be achieved here (in style) Very casual and relaxed setting- others vacationing at the Ranch equally super friendly.

Many thanks to Brandy who helped us arrange our last minute holiday; Ryan, the jolly wicked-awesome sharp-shooter; Cody, the Master-of-the-Creek (caught 6 fish in 2 hours, first time out fly-fishing); Emily, the gentle horse-whisperer (my first time on a horse- and went back for more); Danny, the zen-archery whiz... And Trevor who made the extra effort to get the type of beer we wanted...And manny manny more (the chef, the bar staff, breakfast crew at the canteen - and of course, the fabulous activity planning group). You can chose to do just one type of activity (fishing, even on your own) or try all, if time allows.

Looking forward to making many more visits to this property. Every aspect of this vacation was simply gorgeous!

Room Tip: Tent cabins, along the Creek, allows for pleasant sleep with the sound of the water. These are close...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2013

For people like us who travel constantly, to find a place that truly has it all is rare. The Ranch at Rock Creek is a cut above and it is the staff's warm professionalism, attention to detail, and positive attitude coupled with the beautiful location, outstanding food and wine, luxurious accommodations, amazing activities (love the Saloon), and wonderful spa that puts the Ranch at Rock Creek in a class by itself. We are already planning our next trip!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. Biggest decision is do you want to be in the main lodge or down by the rive...
Long Beach, California
Reviewed August 16, 2013

UPDATE: This review is an update/replacement of my 3-star review of April 2013. All of my previous gripes have been addressed, so I am replacing my previous review with this one.

Following my original review last April (which at the time was of my second week-long visit to the ranch) the ranch owner Jim contacted me and we discussed my concerns at length. He indicated that they had worked hard to address these and other issues, and invited me to return to the ranch and join him for a few days at his expense. What a gesture!

I turned down his generous offer, but took him at his word and am now at the end of my third week-long stay at the ranch. I brought my extended family of 10, and I am paying 100% of this. I have received absolutely no "comps" from the ranch, so you can rest assured that this is another unbiased review.

In short, they have addressed all of the issues that were a problem on our previous visit. They have plenty of staff now, so that virtually anything we wanted to do in this past week was available, as long as we had an hour or two flexibility depending on how much notice we gave them (i.e. same-day notice is more of a challenge, but previous-day's notice was never any issue at all.) Also they have purchased more horses. So now, my wife and kids have been able to ride every day, no problem, for as long as they want, and sometimes they rode twice a day. This was not possible last year. Perhaps due to the larger staff being much less stressed, there is no sign of any friction between management and staff -- everyone we encountered seemed happy to be working here (as well they should!)

As always, the entire staff has been absolutely wonderful -- they are constantly asking what they can do for you, and offering things you would not ask for. Whatever you want, they will go out of their way to satisfy. As a good example, when I asked for a draft beer at the lodge bar, they told me that they only have draft beer at the Cantina (about a quarter mile away from the lodge) and the Cantina was closed, Nevertheless, they offered to run down there and pour me one -- no problem whatsoever. How many places, no matter how nice, would ever do that for a guest? And NOT expect any sort of tip!

Our activities this week have included horseback riding of all sorts, a really fun rodeo, fishing, fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking, archery, all sorts of gun sports including handguns, rifles, and clays, paint ball, bowling, movie watching in their large theater, karaoke, visiting antique stores in nearby towns, and plenty of reading and game-playing while enjoying INCREDIBLE margaritas.

Although there are close to 70 guests at the ranch this week, the *only* time it felt like more than 20 was at the rodeo, when nearly everyone turned out. Other than that, it was very rare to see more than about 10 other people at any one time. And almost all of our activities were "private."

This place is ridiculously expensive at around $1200 per person per day, but if you can afford it, the cost is fully justified. I love the fact that the experience is (almost) all-inclusive, without getting dinged for things like food, alcohol, ammunition, tips (which would otherwise be huge and constant), or really anything of consequence. There is a small fee for a fishing license if you decide to fish, a very inexpensive laundry service, and an extra charge for driving off of the ranch (specifically airport transportation if you need it.) You will also pay a reasonable charge if you want high-end wine (that you might pay $100/bt for in a restaurant) or alcohol (maybe the 16yo Scotch) -- but the free stuff is still very good stuff.

There is also a chance you'll meet a famous personality. I won't mention a name, but last summer a HUGE TV/movie/singing star was here and my kids loved it. Because the ranch is so small, they were able to sing karaoke with him, chat with him a bit, and even paintballed against him and his friends.

I hope this review is helpful to you!

2 Thank Randy P
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We just finished a 10 day stay at the Ranch at Rock Creek, a new luxury resort that is quickly becoming a premier destination for discerning people. We have been to many resorts over the years and have never been to one like this. What distinguishes the Ranch at Rock Creek from other resorts are three main things: the food was consistently superior--never a bad meal and many that were truly exceptional (fresh sable fish from Washington state and halibut from Alaska that was fresh from the fisherman's net; lamb and beef dishes that were true to the ranching tradition); the staff were universally accommodating, youthful with energy that was contagious, and were thoroughly professional; the range of activities seemed limitless.....despite being there for more than a week we didn't try our hands at all that was available. All the instructors were excellent and patient--whether it was fly fishing in one of only 20 Blue Ribbon streams in the country (which runs through the ranch hence the name), shooting sporting clays, archery, horseback riding, or pistol shooting and rifelry--we gained new skills and had great fun. Herein lies one of the UNIQUE features of the Ranch at Rock Creek: unlike other resorts we have been to, the fee is all-inclusive! Ranch at Rock Creek is a great place for families to reconnect: low key, incredible setting --mountains, open valleys, and of course it was at the ranch that we first understood what "Big Sky" means--from daybreak to sunset, this has to be one of the most beautiful settings in the country. Especially appealing was the clear, crisp and dry mountain air. Wildlife was an extra bonus: while doing archery a family of grouse decided to traipse across the trail....while horseback riding a golden eagle swooped down to probably 30 feet allowing us a great view. While fly fishing in the creek, a moose and its calf wandered up to the shore and prompted us to put down our rods and look in amazement.....Daytime activities were all outdoors and we were lucky that the weather was so good. We learned a common saying among Montanans: "If you don't like the weather in Montana, wait five minutes." While we had few rain showers they were very brief. Cool in the morning, temps hit the 80's by noon but cooled down again by dinner so bring clothes you can layer. Evening at the Silver Dollar Saloon afforded further opportunity for family/group activity. We watched a movie in the private theatre that staff loaded just for us from a library of hundreds of possible films ( they have access to all the on-line video sources). In addition, we bowled, played pool and had s'mores by the nightly campfire that the staff build on the patio. An added bonus was the interesting people we met though there was no pressure to socialize if one chose not to. The Ranch at Rock Creek was the ultimate experience in "free choice"... Each residence has bicycles so if you don't want to walk to one place or another you can hop on a bicycle ( which are parked in the most clever bike rack I have seen: a large log with slots cut out for the front wheel of the bike). Aside from the remarkable talent and skill of the chef and the sous-chefs, our room was stocked with snacks, sodas and juices which was an appreciated convenience. The spa was superb and Sarah Tomko, the masseuse has to be one of the most talented I have ever encountered. After all the activities at the Ranch, a relaxing massage is a welcome tonic. The Ranch is really a self-contained 7,000 acre environment: to wit, the Mercantile is an on-site store with great clothing and other items....if you didn't arrive with cowboy boots, you may well leave with a pair! It is hard to fully describe the fantastic and unique experience that we had. We'll go back as a family but the experience and setting would be equally attractive for a corporate retreat, guys or gals long weekend, wedding, birthday celebration, or any other event where an incredible setting, exceptional food, wonderful staff and very comfortable accommodations are desired.

Room Tip: The only distinction with rooms is to know whether you want to be on the lodge side of the road or t...
1 Thank David L
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

From the time I was picked up at the Missoula airport by a friendly staff member to my last evening at the Silver Dollar Saloon, the Ranch at Rock Creek provided a unique - but most of all, genuine - experience which is unmatched in all my travels. I went with a group of friends as a celebration of sorts, and it was the perfect place to experience all Montana has to offer while enjoying world-class luxury and food. This was my second trip to the ranch - and thought I didn't think it was possible, the talented staff and guides outdid themselves. We dined in the main lodge on delicious breakfast options every morning, including some of the most delicious coffee (maybe it was the spectacular scenery?) I have ever tasted, and omelettes to match. Post-breakfast was the day's first activity, and there are many to choose from - horseback riding, sporting clay shooting, amazing and challenging mountain bike riding, fishing....you name it, it's available. Back to the main lodge for lunch most days, but a few times we ate in a rustic (but still delicious) secondary, partially outdoor dining area, complete with crackling fire, bison burgers, and local brews. More activities in the afternoon, followed by another amazing meal by the excellent (and friendly) head chef Josh. After relaxing in the cabins for a while came a drink at the Silver Dollar saloon, followed by bowling, a movie, or best of all sipping wine and roasting marshmallows at the outdoor firepit.

The staff put together a few other activities for us as well - namely river rafting (complete with amazing packed lunch and a knowledgeable river guide), and paintball in some of the extensive outdoors area the ranch has to offer! I've done all of these activities elsewhere, but what really sets the place apart is the unforgettable Montana setting, the homey feel of the place, but most of all how genuine, friendly, and professional the staff are. We never wanted for anything, and often the staff would anticipate our needs, such as stocking extra snacks in our room when we returned from a long day on the river, or the bartender at Silver Dollar tempting us with new drinks. Nestled in a beautiful river valley, the Ranch is surrounded by spectacular mountains and the big Montana sky - I never tired of simply sitting by the river and watching the cloud move past the nearby peaks. The Ranch at Rock Creek is truly a special place, and it provides more than just a vacation - it's an experience to remember. I went with a group of friends, but I would bring a significant other, my family, or recommend it for a high-class business retreat as well. The Ranch at Rock Creek is certainly a special place, and I'll definitely be going back.

Room Tip: We slept in the "bunkhouse" as a big group, but all of the housing options looked spectacu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Peter S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visited the Ranch at Rock Creek last May, and I can not wait to go back! I've stayed at other luxury hotels/resorts (Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, etc), but they simply don't compare to the Ranch. The gorgeous scenery is reason enough to go back, but the management of this ranch has really made it a spectacular place. These are three of the many highlights of our trip:

The Staff - Many other people have commented on the quality of the staff, but these guys deserve a lot of credit. Every single member of the staff is personable, knowledgeable, engaging, and fun. I was very impressed with my fishing guide in particular. The day he brought me fishing was his second day working for the Ranch at Rock Creek, but he already knew the best spots and other locations where my friends and I would have the best chance of catching fish. The ranch's management must put a lot of time into recruiting and vetting quality staff members, because everyone that I encountered had a very sociable personality, but they were never overbearing. My interactions with staff always left me comfortable and relaxed...even during paintball!

The Activities - There is literally something for everyone here. If you want rustic, they have sporting clays, fishing, mountain biking, paint ball, archery, and more. If you want to pamper yourself and relax, there's a luxurious spa, pool, hot tub, and plenty of places to sit by the water or by a fire and read a book. (One morning, after a long night at the saloon, they even let our group pick a movie and gave us the movie theatre all to ourselves.) Whatever we decided to do during the day (I recommend the more active options), it always felt great to take a hot shower and regroup for a drink at the bar and a delicious dinner in the dining room.

The Food - Somehow the chefs at the ranch are able to make meals that are both satisfying/delicious and relatively healthy. For me, a meal usually has to be covered in gravy or butter for it to taste good, but the food at the ranch is an exception! We enjoyed steak, elk, fish, spare ribs, and lots of other entrees during our week there - they were all so good that I can't pick a favorite. I was also pleased with the portion size - portions are large, but not huge, which prevented me from overly stuffing myself. That said, any time I wanted another serving of anything at all, the wait staff and kitchen prepared it for me very quickly.

There's something for everyone here, so don't hesitate to go on a business retreat, a family vacation, a guys/girls weekend, or a romantic getaway. I can't wait to go back - I just can't decide who to bring with me.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a larger group or if you're traveling with kids, request the Bunk H...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phil L

Been to The Ranch at Rock Creek? Share your experiences!