The Ranch at Rock Creek
$58
$54
TripAdvisor
The Broadway Hotel(Philipsburg)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshorseback ridingthe main lodgefly fishingtop notchbowling alleyfive starropes courseevery mealpistol shootingchef joshworld classoutdoor activitiesattention to detailnatural beautygroup of friendsall agesfamily vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 4, 2013

From the time I was picked up at the Missoula airport by a friendly staff member to my last evening at the Silver Dollar Saloon, the Ranch at Rock Creek provided a unique - but most of all, genuine - experience which is unmatched in all my travels. I went with a group of friends as a celebration of sorts, and it was the perfect place to experience all Montana has to offer while enjoying world-class luxury and food. This was my second trip to the ranch - and thought I didn't think it was possible, the talented staff and guides outdid themselves. We dined in the main lodge on delicious breakfast options every morning, including some of the most delicious coffee (maybe it was the spectacular scenery?) I have ever tasted, and omelettes to match. Post-breakfast was the day's first activity, and there are many to choose from - horseback riding, sporting clay shooting, amazing and challenging mountain bike riding, fishing....you name it, it's available. Back to the main lodge for lunch most days, but a few times we ate in a rustic (but still delicious) secondary, partially outdoor dining area, complete with crackling fire, bison burgers, and local brews. More activities in the afternoon, followed by another amazing meal by the excellent (and friendly) head chef Josh. After relaxing in the cabins for a while came a drink at the Silver Dollar saloon, followed by bowling, a movie, or best of all sipping wine and roasting marshmallows at the outdoor firepit.

The staff put together a few other activities for us as well - namely river rafting (complete with amazing packed lunch and a knowledgeable river guide), and paintball in some of the extensive outdoors area the ranch has to offer! I've done all of these activities elsewhere, but what really sets the place apart is the unforgettable Montana setting, the homey feel of the place, but most of all how genuine, friendly, and professional the staff are. We never wanted for anything, and often the staff would anticipate our needs, such as stocking extra snacks in our room when we returned from a long day on the river, or the bartender at Silver Dollar tempting us with new drinks. Nestled in a beautiful river valley, the Ranch is surrounded by spectacular mountains and the big Montana sky - I never tired of simply sitting by the river and watching the cloud move past the nearby peaks. The Ranch at Rock Creek is truly a special place, and it provides more than just a vacation - it's an experience to remember. I went with a group of friends, but I would bring a significant other, my family, or recommend it for a high-class business retreat as well. The Ranch at Rock Creek is certainly a special place, and I'll definitely be going back.

Room Tip: We slept in the "bunkhouse" as a big group, but all of the housing options looked spectacular.
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visited the Ranch at Rock Creek last May, and I can not wait to go back! I've stayed at other luxury hotels/resorts (Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, etc), but they simply don't compare to the Ranch. The gorgeous scenery is reason enough to go back, but the management of this ranch has really made it a spectacular place. These are three of the many highlights of our trip:

The Staff - Many other people have commented on the quality of the staff, but these guys deserve a lot of credit. Every single member of the staff is personable, knowledgeable, engaging, and fun. I was very impressed with my fishing guide in particular. The day he brought me fishing was his second day working for the Ranch at Rock Creek, but he already knew the best spots and other locations where my friends and I would have the best chance of catching fish. The ranch's management must put a lot of time into recruiting and vetting quality staff members, because everyone that I encountered had a very sociable personality, but they were never overbearing. My interactions with staff always left me comfortable and relaxed...even during paintball!

The Activities - There is literally something for everyone here. If you want rustic, they have sporting clays, fishing, mountain biking, paint ball, archery, and more. If you want to pamper yourself and relax, there's a luxurious spa, pool, hot tub, and plenty of places to sit by the water or by a fire and read a book. (One morning, after a long night at the saloon, they even let our group pick a movie and gave us the movie theatre all to ourselves.) Whatever we decided to do during the day (I recommend the more active options), it always felt great to take a hot shower and regroup for a drink at the bar and a delicious dinner in the dining room.

The Food - Somehow the chefs at the ranch are able to make meals that are both satisfying/delicious and relatively healthy. For me, a meal usually has to be covered in gravy or butter for it to taste good, but the food at the ranch is an exception! We enjoyed steak, elk, fish, spare ribs, and lots of other entrees during our week there - they were all so good that I can't pick a favorite. I was also pleased with the portion size - portions are large, but not huge, which prevented me from overly stuffing myself. That said, any time I wanted another serving of anything at all, the wait staff and kitchen prepared it for me very quickly.

There's something for everyone here, so don't hesitate to go on a business retreat, a family vacation, a guys/girls weekend, or a romantic getaway. I can't wait to go back - I just can't decide who to bring with me.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a larger group or if you're traveling with kids, request the Bunk House. The bunk room has eight bunk beds (and I think a pull out couch), and there are two private bedrooms in the same house for couples or parents.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Phil L
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was my second time visiting the Ranch and both times were just incredible and unique. After having such a wonderful experience last summer, I couldn’t wait to go back. And the second time around certainly didn’t disappoint. Visiting for a week with a group of friends, we played paintball, shot sporting clays, rode horses, mountain biked, floated down the beautiful river, fly fished and a myriad of other great activities. The staff at the Ranch did a terrific job of tailoring the activities to our group and really adding a personal touch to the experience. The staff is such a great bunch and I can’t say enough about how much I enjoyed their expertise and friendliness.

After perfect days of activities in the breathtaking Montana landscape our group was able to really enjoy each other’s company over a five star meal (Josh the chef is truly a master of his craft), a cold drink at the saloon, a friendly game of bowling, or under the stars by the fire.

After having such an amazing time again, I will definitely be headed back as soon as I can to enjoy more of the stunning views, top notch accommodations, adventurous activities, and all around unforgettable experience.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I spent a week at The Ranch at Rock Creek (RC) in in early June with a group a friends, and the trip was truly exceptional. We were greeted in Missoula by one of the RC staff who assisted us with our luggage then drove us to the Ranch in an official RC suburban that comfortably seated all 6 of us and our luggage. From there, the tone of the trip was set and our group was on a high for the next six days. The ranch offers numerous activities so that there is definitely something for everyone. We partook in mountain biking, horseback riding, sporting clays, rafting, archery, fly fishing, and paintball to name a few. Each activity was accompanied by at least one if not multiple guides. I found the guides to be truly experts in their fields and extremely enjoyable to be around. The RC staff also outnumbered the guest count by close to 2 to 1, which contributed the highest level of service that was provided throughout the week and in all areas.

The food, as expected, was top notch, with each meal having multiple choices, all of which were out of this world. The main dinning room is where we ate most meals and the chef was fantastic. I also loved eating lunch at the Blue Canteen after a morning full of activities. It is a comfortable open air space that is casual with great food. Having a big sweet tooth, I loved the homemade cookies and macaroons that were put out after lunch in the Blue Canteen. So good! Cookies and hors d'oeuvres were also provided in the main lodge beginning in the late afternoon. I also had more than my fair share of gourmet s'mores over a perfectly crafted fire

The amenities were truly commensurate with what is expected of a Relais & Chateaux luxury property. Each bedroom was stocked and replenished each day with a variety of drinks and snacks, which seemed to be exactly what I was looking for each time I returned to my room. Anything I might have forgotten was promptly provided, and this included a cowboy hat and pair of boots. The spa was a perfect way to reward oneself after days of activities, and we all loved capping many of our evenings off at the Silver Dollar Saloon, where there is a four-lane bowling alley as well as a movie room. We also enjoyed spending some time relaxing by the pool and just taking in the magnificent views.

Our week on the Ranch absolutely flew by and it was an experience that I unequivocally recommend to anyone looking for a truly unique experience with the highest level of service and amenities.

-Pete V.

Room Tip: There are many different accommodation options, including the most luxurious camping tents/cabins, individuals rooms, family size cabins, and more. The staff was extremely helpful in guiding us to which accommodation would best suit our group and experience.
1  Thank Pete V
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had heard about The Ranch at Rock Creek from a friend and based on his rave reviews I simply had to experience the ranch myself. So I arrived with high expectations, and after an exhilarating 6 days I can say that the ranch somehow managed to exceed those expectations.

Over the course of the week we rode horseback, went rafting, shot sporting clays, played paintball, went mountain biking, and more. We had a guide for each activity and I was particularly impressed that they were all true experts in their field. In addition, they were all fun-loving personalities who really meshed well with our group. It’s clear that they love their jobs.

As great as the activities were, it was always rewarding to break for meals and I can attest that the food was AMAZING. I was able to meet the chef and I personally thanked him on multiple occasions for doing such great work. It was always a treat to show up to the dining room on an empty stomach and know he had a great meal in store for us.

All in all, this was the kind of vacation I’ll remember for a lifetime. I give the ranch and its staff an enthusiastic 5 stars and I’ve already been wholeheartedly recommending it to friends.

Thanks, Rock Creek, for an unforgettable vacation!

1  Thank Andy H