“Shangri-La in Montana”

The Ranch at Rock Creek
Wilton, Connecticut, United States
“Shangri-La in Montana”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have never been in a more incredible resort. From fly fishing to skeet and pistol shooting to hiking, it was a fantastic experience. The fly fishing was top-notch with an incredibly knowledgeable and friendly guide on a private piece of river that gets almost no fishing pressure. Even on the day when the winds were high I was able to hook and land beautiful cutthroat. After a full afternoon fishing I retired to hors d'oevres and a fantastic bar with service that i have never seen equaled anywhere else. Everything about this resort is first class. The food is wonderful, the setting magnificent and the facilities absolutely incredible. And there's even a bowling alley for some fun after a full day of activities, if you have any energy left at that point. I can't wait to get back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Miami
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked a trip for 10 adults (family and friends) to the Ranch to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. We stayed in two of the private homes which were phenomenal. The decor and amenities were perfect and luxurious. Tracie was awesome and helped us plan an adventurous four days. The staff could not have been more friendly. We hiked to the Top of the World and caught trout in the Rock Creek (our patient guides may have helped a little!) They taught us how to shoot sport clays and the men also shot pistols and rifles. They even showed some of the city slickers how to ride horses. When we weren't taking advantage of the beautiful surroundings, we ate and we ate and we ate some more. The food was first class (you have to try Ben's kale salad) and it always seemed to be 5 o'clock somewhere when we were parched. Our family and friends could not stop raving about the trip. I could not have imagined a more wonderful vacation and we cannot wait to get back! Perhaps for my 50th.

Room Tip: If you are with a group a private house is a must!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I want to come back, forever. I have probably been to 5 different guest ranches including nearby ranches in Montanna and this one is my absolute favorite. I came here with my best friend on a relaxing vacation getaway and was immediately swept away by the beauty and magic. I would definitely come here with my family. In fact, I can picture having an amazing family reunion here.

There is so much to share, but here are my 7 quick favorite things:

1. The Saloon surprised me. It has a bowling alley, movie theatre and Karaoke bar with a horse saddles as bar seats. Every night after dinner we did parlor sports. So fun!!! Oh and kids are totally welcome here.
2. The food. Rediculous. 5 Course Dinner with wine pairings. Breakfast poached eggs and grilled veggies. The chefs are outstanding here! Bison, Local Trout, and things you can't pronounce. :)
3. The Staff - shout out to Tracie, Jeanine, Maddy, Jonathon and lots of other people. It felt like we were special house guests. Like we were friends, not vacationers. It felt like HOME. I wish!!! Super nice and down to earth people.
4. Activities - Favorite was our clay shooting session. Your instructor drives to their dedicated shooting range. They have a shooting course for the most advanced of shooters, super high tech with solar panels. While out there we saw a group of Mule deer go by, just lovely!
5. Sitting by the fire and having lattes or cocktails brought to me.
6. Don't miss out on the happy hour. Ask Maddy to make you a Moscow Mule, it's delish!
7. Spa - I had the most amazing Thai massage and Ayurvedic treatments. Tamara worked on me and is a wonderful

I've posted pics so that I don't forget how amazing this place was. I cannot wait to return the family.

Put this Ranch on your WISH LIST.

Room Tip: Tips: 1. Forgot to bring books? Guns? Horse? Boots? Hat? Don't worry they have EVERYTHING c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ranch this summer and it by far exceeded all of my expectations. I came to the Ranch hoping to experience the breathtaking Montana scenery while enjoying the amenities of a five star resort, and it didn’t disappoint!! I can’t emphasize enough how great the staff was, from the cooks to the wranglers, all were very genuine people and they constantly went the extra step to make sure I had the best visit possible.

As an avid outdoorsman, I was particularly impressed with the variety and availability of activities offered (shooting, horse riding, hiking, biking, fishing, etc). I really enjoyed conversing with the guides to find activities that suited my skill level and preferences. The ranch guides really took the time to make it a truly personal experience. After an activity filled day in the magnificent Montana outdoors, nothing beats sitting down to a first class meal followed by a relaxing drink in the authentic saloon! Josh, the chef, and Tony, the spirit expert, combine to make a knowledgeable, professional, and friendly team that makes the dining experience unparalleled. I can’t wait to get back to the crackling fires, scenic property, spectacular accommodations, and overall Montana ranch atmosphere! Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew S
Bozeman
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We retuned home a few days ago from our second stay at the marvelous Ranch at Rock Creek, and we are still 'blissed-out' from the lavish 'glamping' experience. Often, as vacations go, giving a vacation destination a second-go results in feeling a little let down, because for some reason it seldom lives up to the excitement level of the first time. Definitely not the case with this place! In fact, because we'd already experienced all of the activities and amenities, we felt less driven to exhaust ourselves and push to try everything and fill every moment with an activity. It was heavenly to give ourselves permission to completely unplug and relax. The luxurious canvas cabins along the river are even better now with built-in bathrooms. The creative and sumptuous meals prepared by Chef Josh Drage were fantastic combinations of wild game, whimsy and love. We moaned with pleasure over one dinner of puttanesca over crispy eggplant that featured tender, succulent braised Elk loin, and a pairing of bold Chilean red wine. And even though the skies were smokey from regional wild fires, it didn't sully our enjoyment of outdoor activities in this beautiful setting. We'll be back.

Room Tip: If you're not a happy-camper kind of person, you'd probably prefer a room in the main lodge...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LorraineMontana
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The Ranch is a reculsive juvenator of the soul. The staff is young and friendly, the surroundings are jaw dropping beautiful. We had never heard of it until recommended by friends; now we'll go back many times.
We went just after Labor Day, which is just after "high season" that brings lots of families. Our kids were back in school; it was a peaceful "reconnecting" experience.
The menu options at dinner are a bit liimited, but the food was great and service warm and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HSW53
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My family and I just returned from our six day stay at the ranch...it was an unforgettable experience for both the adults and the young children. The staff did an excellent job catering to the children and the activities for the adults were great. The food was Wonderful and the Chef Josh and his staff did an amazing job catering to my son's food allergies. We highly recommend The Ranch at Rock Creek.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Ruddyrocker

Been to The Ranch at Rock Creek? Share your experiences!