“Loved it and will be back!”

and 1 more site!
The Ranch at Rock Creek
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Accommodations, food, scenery, activities were all fabulous. Staff couldn't be nicer or more accommodating. A unique, five-star experience that can't be rivaled. Well worth going the distance.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mksFiona
There are newer reviews for The Ranch at Rock Creek

Reviewed June 27, 2011

It's difficult to put into words how amazing The Ranch at Rock Creek is. It is truly a surreal establishment. Every aspect of the ranch from the accommodations, staff, activities, and especially the food is first-class. I am not easily impressed, but the Ranch far exceeded my expectations. There is no doubt in my mind - I plan on booking another trip back to The Ranch very soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank bpc1765
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We were looking for the absolute best place to get away from the East Coast grind, a locale that is completely different and out-of-the way. We looked at luxury guest ranches all over the West, from Texas to Idaho, and Rock Creek looked like the perfect fit. We will never second guess our decision.

Five minutes outside the airport in Missoula, and we were already in an amazing, barren new landscape that immediately lent itself to pure relaxation. An hour later we were at the floor of a massive valley, cut off from even the tiny charming town of Phillipsburg, in complete isolation.

Horseback riding in these hills is unbelievable. The view from the top extends into other states, and the views of the snow capped mountain peaks in the distance is unparalleled... Well, perhaps Telluride comes close!

The staff is professional but personable, very friendly, and endlessly accommodating. No request is too small, none too big. After only a week, I'd even venture to call a few of them friends!

The guided activities go smoothly, and you don't feel like they are holding your hand. This is really a place where your inner cowboy just floats to the surface!

Hidden behind it's rustic, aged facade, the facilities in this place are top notch. The day spa is as impressive as any found in NY or DC. Every last detail is exquisite. It is definitely worth the price of admission and then some!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RiverEnthusiast
Reviewed June 23, 2011

If you love the great outdoors, I can't recommend this place enough. I went with my girlfriend. At first we thought it was a little expensive, but after we got there, we could not believe how much we got for our money. It's all you can drink and eat. The bar is top shelf, the food is 5 star, and the staff was amazing. We went for private horseback rides in the mountains, we climbed 1200 feet on snow shoes and watched a Elk herd cross a mountain pass, we skinned up one mountain and skied down the other side (what a work out!), we ice-skated on a mountain lake and the staff brought us a picnic lunch, and we got massages in the gorgeous spa...we did all this without leaving the property! This place is huge!! Truthfully, we couldn't do everything, as we were only there 4 days (it takes at least a half day to travel there and back, as you need to connect at least once from most airports...that's the only drawback). We are definitely going back!! The best part about being there in the winter was we felt like the place was our own 7000-acre ranch with a staff of 40 people. There were about 20 other guests there, but we really only saw them at meals and at the saloon. The saloon is great! An awesome place to unwind after an active day in the mountains and the snow. It has bowling, karaoke, a pool table, a piano, shuffle board, and an amazing bartender named Tony, who can tell you everything you need to know about spirits. Go to this ranch! The staff told me they only made it a public resort about 2 years ago, so it's still a hidden secret, and only going to get more expensive once the world finds out about this place.

Room Tip: Stay in Trapper for a remote, luxurious experience
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TrailCross
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Arriving to the Ranch at Rock Creek from my home near NYC was like finding an oasis. I needed a place to recharge and reset, and only had a few days due to my work schedule. The Ranch at Rock Creek was it, and the trip from the NYC area was well worth it.

The ranch encompasses a natural area unmatched by anything else I've seen. It is there for each guest to experience as much or as little as desired, with expert instruction along the way. Spending time with my (almost retired) parents there, the staff made us feel at ease through every activity, from fly fishing to horseback riding to biking. My mother and I tried horseback riding several times. The wranglers intuitively knew how much to assist. I cannot put a price on seeing my mother on a horse, first with guidance from a wrangler, and then on her own, with confidence. We went on a group ride up into the mountains twice. Each time the scenery was spectacular, and the guides provided just enough explanation of the natural surroundings.

Our special requests were thoughtfully honored, especially when my mother called ahead of our stay to request vegetarian meals. Despite having been to fabulous NYC restaurants, I've never tasted food like Chef Josh creates at the Ranch. All in all, it was a trip to remember, and a much-needed antidote to city life back home that will stay with us for a long time to come.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Eliz1076
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Words just cannot adequately describe how special this place truly is. The setting is both dramatic and tranquil with 10 square miles of rolling hills set against the backdrop of the Pintler Mountains with Rock Creek running through the Ranch as the Centerpiece of this resort. The Staff of the Ranch at Rock Creek is by far and away the best of any 5 star Resort that we have had the privilege to visit, not just in this country but internationally as well. The Activities are plentiful and are directed by knowledgeable professionals whose passion for the activity is contagious to both adults and children alike. The Dining Experience at The Ranch is Outstanding as Chefs Josh and his sous-chef are true artists in the kitchen.

I will apologize in advance because this review will be more lengthy than usual, but I want to be comprehensive for those who are considering spending the money to go to the Ranch at Rock Creek. We had the chance to spend six nights at the Ranch (3 in the luxury tents and 3 in the Lodge). This vacation, while an expensive one, was well worth the price for a number of reasons. First, We (2 teenagers, my wife and myself) were able to disconnect from our City lives and spend one fantastic week bonding through activities which we do not routinely undertake at our home. Second, the Ranch provides you with everything you need to enjoy the activities including appropriate clothing (waders, gloves, hiking boots, cowboy boots, jackets, gear and equipment), and will launder your clothes while you are there, which makes packing for you vacation a lighter experience (We each brought only a carry on suitcase). Third, the Activity Staff is the Best of any Resort we have been to as each Staff member is a professional at his/her trade and loves teaching Adults and Children alike the nuances of the activity. By the end of the week, my family had developed proficiency in horseback riding, shooting sporting clays, archery with compound bows, fly fishing and downhill mountain biking. Fourth, the Food is simply the Best! Chef Josh and his staff use only the highest quality ingredients (locally sourced free range meats and fresh seafood flown in from around the country) and put their world class marks on Ranch Dining in a very casual and friendly atmosphere. The menus change daily and they will happily honor any off menu requests. Even my teens stuck to the menu and discovered a love for Elk Tenderloin and Bison steak. Fifth, the Tents and the Lodge are exquisite in their design and blend in perfectly with the natural Ranch scenery and surroundings. The rooms all have refrigerators which a fully stocked with alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages at no extra charge. Lastly, the Nightlife at the Ranch is a blast! The Lodge has a Cowboy themed bowling alley, a Cowboy saloon with a large screen tv and several other high-def flat screens (we watched game 7 of the NBA finals and game 7 of the NHL finals while there), a ping pong table, 2 pool tables, a small shuffleboard table, an Awesome Bar with the 2 best bartenders in North America (Patrick and Nikki), and a karaoke machine that Patrick and Nikki will fire up late in the evening and get the guests singing. The guests at the Ranch would gather in the Saloon at night playing games, singing songs and telling stories about their day at the Ranch.

While the scenery is amazing, the staff make this Resort the most special place you will visit. Everybody at the Ranch is always smiling and they do a great of anticipating your needs and delivering Ritz Carlton style service in a very non-stuffy manner. The general manager of the Ranch, Kerry Hing, is a former Ritz Carlton exec and he has found a way to actually improve upon Ritz Carlton style service through hand picked staff members who are both genuine and outgoing in everything they do. To give you just one example of what I mean by all of this, my family and I decided to take a Mountain biking trip as one of our activities. Chuck, the guide, had just purchased brand new, top of the line bikes which he fitted us for prior to heading up the mountain. While fitting us to the bikes, Chuck noticed that the bikes were not a perfect fit for us. Chuck picked up the phone and within 5 minutes the head of the Shooting Clay department, Theo, pulled up in a jeep with a hacksaw. Within a few more minutes Theo and Chuck had cut the seats down to size to make the ride more comfortable for us all. We certainly could have gone on the ride with the bikes in their original condition but Chuck felt like he could improve upon the situation and he certainly did. This is just one of many examples how the staff operates seamlessly as a team in delivering Perfect service to the guests at the Ranch.

I cannot say enough good things about this place so let me just conclude by telling you that you need to take your family to this place because it is the Family Vacation of a Lifetime.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank PTelan
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I and our 2 grown children spent a week at the ranch with other family members. It looked beautiful in the pictures, but wow, they don't describe how beautiful and serene the ranch is. I found myself just stopping and staring at the mountains, the animals and the beautiful buildings, each with a chic rustic charm. There is so much to do, everyone can pick activities that are planned or you can request your own idea of what you would like the staff to arrange for you. The staff were first rate and always eager to please. All of the accomodations are decorated beautifully and have everything you will need. We stayed in a huge room with an elegant bathroom. I would have also loved to stay in one of the "tents" by the babbling brook.
The food is fabulous- can't say enough about how good it was. The busy days ended with drinks in the lodge and all kinds of fun at night in the "saloon". We hope to be back!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank rjscjs

Been to The Ranch at Rock Creek? Share your experiences!