“Not what was advertised or expected”

Doubletree Missoula/Edgewater
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Missoula
Santee, California
“Not what was advertised or expected”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I travel to Missoula frequenty and usually stay at the Garden Inn but wanted to try something different so I decided to try the doubletree due to the nice pictures etc..Well it went bad the minute I arrived. I booked rooms that were furnished with a frig and when I got to my room there was none and I had just bought some stuff to put in it. I asked the front desk and was told I could get one for 30 dollars a night after already paying a premium price for rooms and that the frig was first come first serve. The place is old, the wallpaper was peeling off the wall in the bathroom, hairs from the cleaning person or previous guest in the sink and my room was next to the parking lot so I could hear people talking out front just feet from my balcony/porch sliding glass door and my next door guest was not too loud but the walls were thin and I could hear everything. The thermostat was from the 70's and overall just a major disapointment. I changed my reservations for the next 2 nights to the garden inn..Dont bother until they decide to upgrade to the current times and maybe hire more flexible Managers and staff!

Room Tip: Not possible
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mpbunch
CarlinoGM, General Manager at Doubletree Missoula/Edgewater, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Dan Carlino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I recently traveled back to Missoula for our 35th and instead of staying in a VRBO we chose the DoubleTree. Wonderful King Riverside room! Great staff and amenities. Frankly, for the price point, it was a great deal.Every request was fulfilled and no staff member ever seemed put out or overburdened by what we asked. Rather remarkable considering the age range of all the people that we interacted with during our week's stay. Is adjacent to the campus but we also live in a college town back home so no big deal. The location was very easy to get to each and every place that we shopped, ate and recreated. Enjoyed the restaurant and did have a minor dust up which I have been trying to reach Dan about but at this point, have not received a return call. Will wait another 24 hours to see if he returns my second voicemail and will update the resolution.
Would I book and stay again? Absolutley.

Room Tip: Ask for a deal on a king room that has a small (very small) balcony that opens up towards the river...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CarlinoGM, General Manager at Doubletree Missoula/Edgewater, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for you comments and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your visit to Missoula and to the Doubletree.

As per our recent discussion, I anxiously await your call.

San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We booked a room at the Doubletree Riverside in Missoula specifically since it was one of only a couple hotels on the river in town. The location is directly across from the University and walk-able (15-20 minutes) to the city center. NOTE: only some of the rooms have waterfront views and the river is almost un-accessible from the hotel. Unfortunately, our room was in one of the many two story “motel” style wings that had a disappointing parking lot view – uggh.

The room itself was nicely appointed, comfortable and mostly spotless. There was a balcony – but again, the parking lot view was not exactly inspirational. The pool and Jacuzzi are ok and adjoining the parking lot.

The reception staff directed us to the Thursday night outdoor food-n-drink event at a riverside park in downtown which was colorful. After seeking out a downtown restaurant without success – we reluctantly ended up back at the Doubletree for dinner. What a pleasant surprise Finn & Porter was – with a large outdoor patio along side the river (the closest you might get from the hotel). We enjoyed an absolutely delicious meal with excellent service accompanied by fabulous local beer (on tap) while "tubers" floated passed by and fly fisherman plied the river.

Take note that the Doubletree is apparently is prime location for college students who are tubing the Clark Fork. The parking lot was overrun as a staging area (for cars, inner tubes and beer) and it appeared that the (mostly inebriated) students use the pool and spa at will. To access the river from the hotel - guests need to exit the lobby, walk through the parking lot and around the buildings through an alley way - not at all what is expected.

A bit of a disappointment for the cost and the expectation of a truly waterfront property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CarlinoGM, General Manager at Doubletree Missoula/Edgewater, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. Please feel free to book a Riverfront View Room on your next visit to Missoula as I believe it will be more suitable for you.

Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 13, 2012

In general this was a good hotel, and the staff at the front desk were very helpful, the location is adjacent to the campus and walkable to the downtown (though you have to cross at an unappealing intersection.) The room was very clean and the pool was better than usual for a hotel pool. There is a restaurant but no breakfast or tea in the lobby (I think they had coffee.) The main disadvantage to this place was that there is an elevator to only part of the building, so if you need to use an elevator you should request a room in that section of the hotel when you make your booking.

Room Tip: The second floor is nicer than the first because there are little balconies.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CarlinoGM, General Manager at Doubletree Missoula/Edgewater, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel. I hope you allow up to serve you during a future trip to Missoula,

Berkeley, Ca.
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I found nothing horribly wrong with this hotel, but nothing really right with it either, other than its location. It's across a bike/ped bridge from the University of Montana, and within 10 minutes' walk or so of downtown, though that requires a difficult crossing of a fast, busy street (obviously not the hotel's fault).

If you don't get a river view, you get a parking lot view. Much worse is trying to find your room from the parking lot. The hotel is (I think) some kind of star shape, which was considered very hip in 1962 or thereabouts when the hotel was constructed (I don't mind old hotels--the Waldorf-Astoria is an old hotel--I mind unimproved old hotels). For the current guest, it means a great deal of difficulty finding one's room. Though all the corridors ultimately connect (I think), there are many locations where there simply are no directions to many rooms. I only saw one map posted in the whole hotel.

This is particularly a problem since this sprawling property with dozens and dozens of 2nd and 3rd floor rooms has exactly one elevator. Finding our way from the elevator (where the map isn't posted) to the room was always difficult, and we're not terrible with directions.

The room basics were acceptable, not great. Soundproofing was only fair, I heard lots of noise from the hall. Lighting levels weren't that high, but nor was the room particularly dark at night. Little things went wrong--the ice machine was broken, requiring another trip through the confusing corridors. It's not that big a deal, except that when I'm paying above $150 on a weeknight in a city of well under 100,000 people, I at least expect a little more. (Incidentally, not only did we wind up paying $15 for a rollaway--admittedly promptly installed--but we also paid tax on that charge, something I've never seen. Our hotel in Chicago cost us less).

There wasn't any usable lobby space, just a series of meeting rooms and the restaurant.

I'm writing this from a Hampton Inn in another state. So far the experience, for a parallel level of hotel, is far better.

I suspect it's hard to do this sort of thing in Missoula but the world would be better off if this property were demolished and a new, rationally organized 5 or 6 story building built to replace it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank wanderer
CarlinoGM, General Manager at Doubletree Missoula/Edgewater, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

We've been taking a Montana road trip each summer for the past four years and everytime we stay in Missoula, we always choose to stay at the Doubletree Edgewater! We love staying in a river view room. The views of the river, Mt. Sentinel, and the U of M are wonderful! The staff is always friendly and the beds are the most comfiest I have ever slept in. Thanks Doubletree Edgewater! See you next summer!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank sunsandsurf11
CarlinoGM, General Manager at Doubletree Missoula/Edgewater, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your comments and thank you for allowing us to be part of your annual vacation.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Hotel was booked as a get away on a road trip. Arrived after a 10 hour drive. Hoping for a resort type hotel given the cost of the room and the photos on the web site. The room was clean but dingy. "Old" odor. Air conditioner noisy. Paid more to have balcony overlooking river. Overlooked patio and tarred rooftop of serving area. Room was was noisy and not private. Photos showed hotel on clean NW river. View from room was actually overlooking river with industrial area beyond. Hotel folder gave no dining options but Finn and Porter the hotel dining option. We thought we would try as we were tired from trip and didn't want to go out. Staff were hassled and flustered. Asked for a quiet table and told there weren't any. Shown to a table close to outdoor patio. told we couldnt eat outside as it had been raining on and off and diners had been "in and out all day". Table was bare. Sticky to touch. no cutlery or linens of ANY kind. Menu extremely expensive for the setting and experience. Basically a pub setting with fine dining prices. Decided to leave and find quieter place to eat. Arrived back from dinner too exhausted to complain. Disturbed by noise from patio for about an hour. Left early the next morning. VERY disappointed in the service/quality for the price of this hotel. We stayed in a Best Western hotel on our way back from our trip and paid almost $100 less and had a MUCH better experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen W
CarlinoGM, General Manager at Doubletree Missoula/Edgewater, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent experience at our hotel. I regret that we failed to deliver a wonderful experience for you. Your comments will be shared with our staff so that we may improve our operation.