“Went for a wedding and it was great”

Red Lion Inn & Suites Missoula
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Missoula
Salt Lake City
“Went for a wedding and it was great”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

There are so many resturants and bars and even a park near by. First trip to Missioula and I had no idea it was so beautiful there. The staff was amazing. Cannot wait to go back to visit my neice and stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jasatt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is pretty average so if you find a good deal here, then by all means, take it. The rooms are clean, its in a pretty good location and there's stuff nearby, but I didn't find it as nice as other Red Lions I've stayed at. There's nothing bad about this hotel, its just really average.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sjohnston12
Nanaimo, B.C.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm almost tempted to give this a poor rating just because it was top dollar for a low quality small room. Granted Missoula is not a metropolis, but there are much better choices for the price. This is an old property that they've added a glitzy front foyer onto to make it look good in the pictures. It is really just a 2 story motel. Everything was well used in the room, but clean. Definitely NOT a Hampton Inn, which is what I SHOULD have booked. Disappointing would sum it up.

Room Tip: Consider another hotel, as this one is in real need of being spruced up.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vancouverislandboy
San Francisco
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Called in advance for a reservation specifying a ground floor room since my wife was unable to climb stairs (recent surgery) but when we arrived there were no ground floor units available. The heat in the room did not work and when the front desk was informed of this, a small space heater was provided, the effects of which could barely be felt. The next morning when we were preparing to leave, we were unable to enter our room because the key card entry ceased to function. Contacted the front desk and a clerk was sent up to correct the problem but with no success. After 20 minutes of fiddling around, the manager was called and he or she suggested that perhaps the electronic override device the clerk was using needed new batteries. This was indeed the problem and after another 40 minutes we re-gained entry to our room so we could retrieve our baggage and leave. Altogether, this incident delayed our departure by almost two hours and put us behind schedule for a dinner engagement at our next destination. In a subsequent telephone conversation with the manager who was more defensive than apologetic, he finally offered us a coupon for a night's stay at Red Lion. We thought this gesture to be fair given the inconvenience caused. However, when the coupon arrived in the mail, it was not for a free night but for a 20% discount on a room which, given that we normally get a 10% discount through AAA, amounted to a whopping 10% off! Plus, there seems to be some restrictions to this discount which we couldn't determine because they were embedded in a code number on the coupon and not explained.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Thomas M
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Inn & Suites Missoula, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to rate our hotel based on the experiences you had during your stay. We do understand how important it is to be comfortable in your room during your stay and apologize for the room temperature being too cold during your stay. We are looking into the current issues that some of our guests experience with their key cards not working as well. You are a valued guest and we hope to better serve you during your next stay.

Travelers are raving about these Missoula hotels

Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My recent trip to Missoula included four nights at the Red Lion. I had recently stayed at another Red Lion, and I know that the beds are comfortable, and the rooms are generally pretty nice. I checked the website and found that R&R members (the Red Lion rewards club) could get bonus points during the time frame I was looking at- sweet. I tried to book online, but the room type I wanted was not available. I called the 800 number, and they suggested that I call the motel directly to see if they had what I wanted. I called, and they did- at a price several dollars less than the sale price on the website. I appreciate that Red Lion Inns allow dogs, have a pet area with bags and a trash can, and they don't charge extra for having a pet in the room.

The room was a twin to the motel in Coos Bay Oregon, down to the prints on the walls. That was a little odd to me. The beds seemed fresh, they were comfortable, and other than a burned out bulb on the desk lamp, all was fine. With a ground floor room, it was super easy to move my bags into the room from the parking area that was right outside the room. I like that the Red Lion rooms I've stayed in have two mirror/sink areas- one in the bathroom, and one outside the bathroom door. It makes it much easier when there two people sharing the room. There were plenty of outlets, and I appreciated the rolling office chair.

What I didn't appreciate was the heating controls. If the unit was turned on, it was blowing out warm air, regardless of the temperature setting or whether it was set to a/c or heat. If the unit was off, there is no ventilation, and the room was overly warm. The one window in the room faced the parking lot, and had a slider under a picture window. I ended up leaving the window open all night with the curtain pulled away from the wall and kept there with a chair. This allowed some cool air to make its way into the room without people being able to look into the room when they walked by. It was freezing at night, but the room never got below 70 degrees, even with the window opened and heat turned off. I did not report it to the front desk, as I had seen the comments on this website regarding the heating issue. If it had been warmer outside I would have reported it.

As with the Red Lion in Coos Bay Oregon that I visited the week previous, the breakfast buffet was disappointing. At this property, the breakfast is served in the lobby. There is a counter along the wall where they set up the "food". The bread in the keeper was stale- it felt dry, so I made toast. No butter for the toast. I asked, and they just didn't have any. No margarine either. Rubbery egg type substance, lukewarm greasy bacon strips...no thanks. I didn't bother returning to the so called breakfast after the first day.

Room Tip: You can park right in front of your room if you are staying on the ground floor. *I got a better pr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nathalie8561
Boise, ID
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My mother and I stayed at the red lion when my father had surgery at St. Patrick's hospital in October 2012. The location was close to the hospital and close to a grocery store so plus points for location. However, the first night we lost power in our room, the TV was at least 15 yrs old, the bathroom exhaust fan did not work, the wireless was hit and miss, and the noise level from the adjacent rooms was unacceptable. For the price (even with the hospital discount that the offer), I would recommend another hotel unless you really need to be close to the hospital.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Whiteners
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you endured during your stay with us. We do want to thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel based on the experiences you had during your stay. You are a valued guest and we hope to better serve you during your next stay.
Karla
Idaho
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This Red Lion appears to be having issues. I had experienced a great stay here in the past. My recent stay, however, was not good.

The check-in process was a hassle. The room was not ready at 3:00, despite the fact I had marked an early check-in request when making my reservation. The clerk wouldn't allow me to check in until the room was ready, and he said it would be approximately 30 minutes. He stated he would call me when the room was ready, again saying it would be 30 minutes. We ran an errand and came back to the hotel 30 minutes later. Since he didn't call, we waited in our car in the parking lot (which was virtually empty). Another 30 minutes later, we went inside to see how much longer, and he said it was ready and "was just about to call us." Riiiiiiight...

The room was a bigger disappointment than the service. The fridge didn't look clean, but to make matters worse, the bottom drawer was completely full of water. The ventilation fan in the bathroom looked like it hadn't seen a good cleaning since I stayed here last. There was garbage on the floor between the bed and nightstand (packaging for clothes, paper, tags, plastic...). It was enough to fill half of the room garbage can. The floor between the night stand and wall hadn't seen a vacuum in weeks, if not months. For everything wrong I "could" see, it made me that much more nervous for everything I couldn't.

A few other issues just seemed to add to the disappointing experience. We were near a stairway, so it got loud a couple of times during the night. One of our keys just stopped working. The room did get a little warm, but luckily it was a rather cool outside. Upon checking out, the clerk didn't apologize for anything wrong, and she indicated she'd "let them know."

Don't get me wrong, I have loved this location in the past. I love the double sinks. I love that it is within an easy walk to downtown. I love that it has been comfortable and clean. Unfortunately, it seems like it has really gone downhill. I don't think I'd take a chance on this location again. There are just too many better values in Missoula.

Room Tip: Don't get a corner room. Heck, I'd go so far as to request to see the room first.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sawtooth75
We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you the best possible service. We are displeased to see that there were some areas of concern regarding cleanliness in your guest room and will certainly address your concerns with our housekeeping staff.
You are a valued guest and we hope to have the opportunity to provide you better service in the near future!