“Soso....”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Missoula
Great Falls, Montana
“Soso....”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Ok, I've stayed at the Red Lion (Missoula) before and it was acceptable. This is mostly due to the fact that I got a great rate on Priceline. However, for this second trip I have got to say that I am a bit more disapointed. Although filling, the breakfast is limited and somewhat lacking when compared to other locations. So what was passable last visit seemed "re-heated" this time around. I had hoped to save my dinner from the night before however my room was missing the ever so popular microwave and mini-fridge, another disapointment. The staff was friendly as before and the bed was relatively comfortable, however due to other drawbacks I hesitate to agree with its rating of 2 1/2 stars in comparison to other motels I've visited.

Room Tip: An acceptable place to stay for the right price. To get the best value shop for rates online.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Thomas S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Beautiful lofted foyer (and where hot breakfast buffet is eaten). Hotel's great location (easy access to downtown Missoula - and to the interstate I-90 - and to the Safeway next door for food/drink)... clean, quiet, comfortable rooms (and beds)... great lights (track) for reading (finally, a hotel that GETS the fact that guests like to read!) and tasty breakfast (including fresh hot pancakes and ice cold milk which were a much welcomed change from typical other hotel breakfast fare) made this stay most enjoyable. Our one regret - we only had one night there.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor, especially those set further back from main street are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brenda W
Kalispell, Montana, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I worked in the hotel business for awhile now and at first glance it was nice. Some things to address is the coasters and the hair all over the bathroom floor. TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR WORK. I happened to run my hand across the counter and the dust was gross. We are staying in adjoining rooms and the other room had a bit of the same problem and a few maintenance issues...the bathroom door is about to fall off and the fan is not working, a vanity light bulb is burnt out and the shower needs some serious help! It either needs to be thoroughly deep cleaned and maybe a little bit of an upgrade. Other wise not to bad

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Helena
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Not worth a single star!!! Even though I contacted the hotel the morning I was suppose to stay in order to cancel (trip cancelled)... they charged a penalty equal to a 1 night stay. THIS IS NOT A DISNEY RESORT!!!! When making the reservation, I was not advised of such an extreme cancellation policy. There are several nicer hotels in Missoula... with lower rates... and reasonable cancellation policies. I wouldn't give this place a second chance! KevinT - Helena

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Missoula hotels

jrc11
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We booked a room for two on Hotwire using their mystery rate where you find out the hotel name after you book. The total cost including tax was $70 for one night, which I thought was a good value. The general feel was similar to, but not quite as nice as, the Holiday Inn Express in Spokane. The first room we were given had a musty smell, but the desk staff cheerfully switched us to another room. That one was a bit stuffy, too, but okay. The hotel is walking distance from restaurants and shopping, and the rate includes a pretty good breakfast buffet. Overall a solid value.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank jrc11
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We had no reservations and hadn't read any reviews on this place ahead of time, so we didn't know what to expect. But it was a pleasant surprise. The hotel staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. Our room was clean and had the amenities we wanted for the night. breakfast was good and plentiful with a nice assortment of items to choose from. Huge banners urging guests to "rate us on trip advisor" proclaim their commitment to quality service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank GaCopperGirl
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We arrived at this hotel in the evening. The check in was fine - at both check-in and check-out the staff were friendly. That was about all this hotel had going for it. We requested a crib for our son. The crib was brought up to our room and I proceeded to make it. Unfortunately, the crib smelled of vomit and our son was not able to sleep in it. By this time it was 10 pm and we decided to just let him sleep with us rather than complain.
The bathrooms appear to have recently been updated. Unfortunately, rooms have showers, not bathtubs, which is an issue when travelling with small children. There are no fridges or microwaves in the rooms, but, at this star level, I really don't expect them. As well, there is no coffee maker in the room, which I did find a little surprising.
While playing in the room, our son found soda bottles under the bed that appeared, from the mold in the soda in them, to have been there a little while. If a 2 year old can find them, a cleaning person should be able to find them. As well, the AC for the room appeared to be broken. We did have a replacement unit, but we had to hook it up ourselves - which was a little concerning.
Check-out time is noon. This is clearly stated at check-in and in hotel documents. Unfortunately, the cleaning staff do not seem to have been made aware of this and, at 10:55, one of them decided to knock on our door and remind me of the 11 AM check-out. When I told her it was noon she argued with me until I pulled out the hotel directory and showed her. Really not what you want to deal with when trying to get ready for a long drive.
Breakfast was one of the least exciting hotel breakfasts I've had for a while, but it wasn't horrible.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family