“overpriced, cramped”

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Missoula
Helena, Montana
“overpriced, cramped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

We passed by a lot of modest-looking motels to stay here in the heart of downtown, thinking we'd have a somewhat more luxurious stay. But our room, with two doubles, was small, the bathroom cramped, and the bed spread was a creepy synthetic. The sheets were a cotton-synthetic blend. The bar was dark, frigid and deserted, and the outdoor deck is poorly integrated into the lovely park just on the other side of a high iron railing. Then at 4:00 am. we were roused by a fire alarm that we learned later had been set off by malfunctioning fluorescent light ballast. The sole concession the hotel made for evicting it's tenants for an hour and a half inthe middle of the night? Free breakfast from the buffet. We only learned of this from other guests.

Montana has plenty of modest and modestly priced hotels in the $80 range. Don't pay $150 and over for mediocrity at the Holiday Inn.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — fire evacuation, overpriced, poor quality bedding
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

Stayed overnight as part of a tour of Canada and America.

Overal hotel was just O.K. Room good sized and clean but overlooked an electricity sub station which `hummed' all night so not too much sleep.

Had a good meal in the restaurant and also breakfast next day - both reasonably priced. Service generally good but had 2 bills for breakfast - neither of them correct but gave up in the end and paid one as it was a comparable price to what we had eaten.

• Stayed June 2008
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

I had heard about the renovation and was amazed at how beautiful it now looks. Not at all what I expected from a Holiday Inn. They're really moving up! I had some personal complications (unrelated to the hotel) that I was having difficulty resolving. The front desk was very helpful. If they weren't able to help me, they connected me with someone else who could. And they never made me feel like I was bothering them. The rooms were clean and very nice. Unlike one of the other reviews, our room had a fridge with a mini freezer in it--worked very well. I also never had any problems with hot water (I was told there was a problem for a short time that they were finally able to fix--they were getting the run-around from the "boiler" people--I asked because I was concerned about not having hot water). No problems there. I also loved the Riverbend Restaurant. It has a great vibe to it and great food. I would definitely stay here again. Well done Holiday Inn!

• Liked — atmosphere and friendly employees
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank CaliforniaTravelgal
Great Falls, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

Stayed there one night, 2 queens, from 2am-9am for 150 dollars. Website said there was a fridge/microwave in the room but there wasnt. When I called the front desk he said most people just (put their stuff by the window and it keeps it cool). I had to take a 5 minute trek to find the microwave to pop some popcorn. Room seemed clean and had a nice view of downtown. Bathroom had the usual amenities. Was nothing fancy and no free breakfast either!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank coorscrazy
Oak Park, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2008

Older hotel that has been mildly updated. Nothing fancy, just new furnishings. Next to river so it is scenery close. Nice views of the mountains from many rooms. Best is the location. Downtown, many pubs, restaurants, shopping.

Downside is, because it is an older hotel, management is money conscience. They have problems with hot water. Staff says the boilers are very old, and one has been broken for over three weeks. There are very narrow windows where you can get hot water in the rooms. You must catch it just right, the right time of day. I have taken several barely tepid to cold showers. Cannot properly sanitize my hands when washing them either....

Management says occupancy is low, so they do not have the money to spend to replace the water boiler systems, so they just keep repairing the outdated equipment at the guest’s expense, comfort and health if you choose use any dishware. Staff explaining the “part” they need is hard to find since the equipment is so old, that it takes weeks to get it. But they do apologize and qualify it by saying they are "doing all they can” to fix the problem. Really?? If that is true, then UPDATE the water boiling systems.

I would highly suggest NOT eating here, since you won’t be guaranteed the dishes have been properly washed or sanitized with hot water!

Here on business frequently. My company pays for my accommodations. I would not pay my own money to stay here!

Stayed March 2008
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

We were so pleasantly surprised to find this Holiday Inn freshly remodeled, warm and inviting. The staff was welcoming and obviously proud of the recent improvements. We were in town looking at retirement property and stayed for several days. Our visit happened to coincide with the hotel's grand opening celebration which was well
done and great fun. The rooms are spacious, beautifully appointed, and the beds very comfortable. We had the opportunity to eat in the hotel restaurant and found the menu and the food to be far superior to typical hotel food - in fact it was some of the very best in Missoula! The lamb chops are outstanding, as was everything we tried.
The bar lounge was a good time with very friendly people and terrific
bartenders. Special kudos for Jo-Jo and Jimmy (Missoula's own version
of Tom Cruise's Cocktail character). Our only suggestion here is that
the hotel needs to make visitors more aware of the restaurant and bar
since it is so tucked away (lower level) most are unaware it exists.
We travel extensively and would recommend this hotel highly.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Everything was super!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank 2UtopianTravelers
whitefish, montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2007

Tried to book a room for for my son who does not have a credit card. The reservation agent was very brusque and unprofessional.

She explained that anyone who doesn't have a credit card cannot check in to Holiday Inn Riverside.

I offered to hold the reservation through my credit card. She explained that was not acceptable, that I would have to fax my ID and copy of my credit card front and back to this hotel before they would accept a reservation.

Faxes are highly unsecured - (Identity theft waiting to happen!) Other hotels hold a reservation through a credit card over the phone, and I was willing to give them mine but not this establishment. ( I do have an A+ credit rating. )

Sorry, but this is an unacceptable way to do business. No Holiday Inns in the future for this person!

• Stayed October 2007