“About 5 miles off the freeway but worth the detour”

Jaker's Bar & Grill
Ranked #29 of 294 Restaurants in Missoula
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Very good salad bar... and the soups were as good. I ordered the crab/avocado sandwich for a change and wasn't disappointed. Note: your salad bar is 1/2 price with an entree. The service was inattentive ... took a while to get the sandwich (I think the server forgot) but all-in-all a very good meal.

There are newer reviews for Jaker's Bar & Grill

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I am quite fond of that Flat-Iron Steak! It was cooked perfectly and tasted like a slice of beefy heaven on a plate. I always have a good meal at Jaker's. My family and I go to this restaurant every other month or so. They are great with kids and child-like adults as well. Speaking of child-like adults, I fully recommend going in to Jaker's at around 4:15pm or so, that is after the happy hour has kicked off and before the crowds have started wandering in!

A couple of my favorite servers are Cheryl and John, if you can get one of them to wait on you than you will be in great hands. One more special tip, though the scones are delicious, don't go overboard, don't forget that you have drinks and an appetizer and entree to eat too! I always leave here in a wheelbarrow.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Jaker's St.Patrick's Day Buffet was the absolute delight of the holiday. I knew Jakers offerered deicious food year round, but had no idea their St. Patrick'sDay buffet was so wonderful. Irish fare and all the fixings were offered to guests - the corned beef 'n cabbage, red potatoes and traditional stew were to die for and my husband loved the Sherpard's Pie as well. Irish music in the background added a lilt of happiness to the evening's festivities. It was the very best Irish food ever eaten and that includes Irish fare in the Old Sod too!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I'm probably in the minority because on this Sunday evening, the place was pretty full, but my dining experience was marginal and my FIRST meal was bloody awful. I say "first" because I had to send it back to the kitchen and reorder something else, which took a little more than 20 minutes to arrive. Even the second was just passable. The server, Amber, was very pleasant and accomodating, but had no control over food quality.

First, as always, the server took my drink order. Even though I was in the bar area, watching the flatscreens, I ordered lemonade. It was interesting in that it was a large ("bottomless") glass and they squeezed a whole lemon into water, with some sugar. I requested a wee bit less sugar on the second glass, and had to spit a few seeds, but it was better than Minutemaid.

The server then brought two golf-ball-sized rolls in a big basket. Poor little things looked lost. Tasty, but small.

I wanted a steak. On their menu, in the steak section, is a "special box," indicating that the two steaks there are above par. One is 3 different sizes of prime rib, which I dearly love (when done right), and the other was Kobe sirloin, provided by some local (Snake River) ranch. Now I have to say that there IS NO KOBE raised in Montana, by any sort of ranch. The name is stolen from Japan. Even if a ranch, under license, is raising Wagyu beef, it ain't Kobe unless it is FROM Kobe, raised by special means and must be slaughtered in Kobe. REAL Kobe served in this country is $200-300 per pound. I knew I would not be getting Kobe, but I expected a good percent of marbling and tenderness (the menu reads "better than prime"). I did order it medium rare.

What I got was a chunk of beef (or horse, or wooley mammoth?) that had zero fat, was charred on the outside and raw (super "blue") on the inside, could BARELY be cut by intense sawing with the steak knife, and had a large piece of sinew inside. Either the restaurant got ripped off by the ranch, management got ripped off by a distributor, or it was an inside job. I couldn't eat the damn thing, not even a bite. Besides, I was tired from sawing.

Sent back to the kitchen, the server told me that the Manager checked a whole tray of the "Kobe" steaks and they were all the same, so were pulled. Maybe you will see Kobe burgers on the menu, but they will have to add some fat.

My replacement steak was supposed to be a strip steak, but really seemed like a boneless ribeye, only very, very greasy. The baked potato was good.

I ended with a creme brullee (sp?) that was passable, although the custard was a little thin. Not bad, though, but please DO skip the berries they were adding for decoration. Definitely frozen/thawed and tasteless. If those had been on top, the crust would have been ruined.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

While in Missoula I wanted to stop by this eatery again.

I wanted something light so I opted for the soup and salad bar. What a great choice. The salad bar had a nice variety of garnishments (beets, cheese, tomatoes & bacon bits to name a few) to fit every taste. The cesar salad (which I added chicken to) was very tasty. The spring mix & spinich was also tasty.

There are various soups available. I tried the French Onion Soup (included but provided through the kichen). It was bold and delicious.

Such a great deal for $10 and being allowed to return to both bars unlimited times. The warmth of the soup was nice on a cold winter day and the lightness of the salad was perfect.

I passed on the scones/rolls and then changed my mind and so glad I did. Warm and hearty were these scones/rolls with honey butter. Yummy!

What a treat for a nice hot lunch yet not so filling that my several hour car ride was uncomfortable.