Tripadvisor
Missoula
Post
Inbox
Search

“Hurry, Before It Changes Owners!”

The Shack Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 342 Restaurants in Missoula
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Missoulians have been eating here for many years, and that is because the food is REALLY good. The Shack is known especially as a breakfast place. While the fare is pretty typical, the menu is large and offers meals for most all tastes. We have not eaten dinner or lunch at the Shack for quite some time, but their menu selections are good for those meals as well.

If you are an out-of-towner, know you need to get there early or settle in for a bit of a wait. I don't think you will be disappointed if you have to wait for a while.

However, the owners recently decided to sell the business. No one knows what will happen to this long-time Missoula eatery when it sells. We are all hoping the new owners offer something very similar, because we all love it.

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (217)

Reviewed January 9, 2020

I usually go to the Shack for breakfast, and I have always thought they had the best breakfast in town. Recently, they started advertising their fried chicken dinners. I had forgotten about their fried chicken. Back in the 80's when I first moved to Missoula, some of my co-workers and I would send someone to the Shack to pick up some fried chicken dinners for our dinner break. It was SO good. Turns out, it is STILL so good, I do consider this to be the best fried chicken in Missoula. The chicken has a nice crunchy outside, moist and tender inside and cooked perfectly. There is no greasy or aftertaste to the chicken.

The newspaper says this business is up for sale, and I will be very sad when it changes hands... we seem to keep losing some of the best restaurants in Missoula, but for now, I plan to take advantage of what time they have left.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 12, 2019

We have eaten at the Shack together a few times over the years, and it is always a great choice. The menu is predictable, but everything they serve is taken to the next level,. The prices reflect that, and the service is friendly. They have a nice selection of beer and wine, which always is a nice touch. While it's not my absolute favorite, Mrs. IMC really likes it, and it has been a frequent choice for the ladies to meet for lunch for years.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed October 12, 2019

We stopped here for a late lunch. It was still pretty busy at 2pm - alway a good sign! We had breakfast for lunch. It was home-cooking, no frills, but that's exactly what a place like this is going for!

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed October 7, 2019

The Shack is a great place for breakfast. Since I rarely go any other time than in the morning, I'll not comment on anything other than breakfast. The atmosphere is nice, quiet and peaceful. The waitstaff are awesome. And of course, the food is great. The portions are just right for me and the prices, while a little on the upper end of the scale are reasonable, considering the food. I rate this place High!

Date of visit: May 2019