“Healthy, but so-so ” 3 of 5 bubbles

Five on Black
Ranked #6 of 285 Restaurants in Missoula
Cuisines: Brazilian, Fast Food, South American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Healthy, but so-so ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Good portion sizes, not too much nor too little. Lots of healthy options, and the steamed collards were good: not overcooked. However, with so many sauce options, the flavors became jumbled and overwhelming. The mango BBQ sauce was cloyingly sweet. Maybe the spicy coconut sauce would be better. Maybe a couple suggested combinations would help people avoid ordering clashing flavors.

The staff was friendly, though the guy made no move to replenish the roasted veggies when making my bowl, so I think I got a little shorted.

Good quick place for a cheap meal, though.

1 Thank Zippymorocco

“Local chipotle type place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Not impressed. Food was ok for lunch line type service. Seems modeled after the chipotle chain restaurant model. Quaint place. Not on my regular rotation to go to or recommend.

1 Thank TheMDHarrisFamily
Butte, Montana
“Alguns sabores estrangeiros”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Having never been to Brazil, I have no idea if the decor of the restaurant is ethnically accurate or not, and I KNOW the music is not Brazilian, but the food is quite tasty, and very reasonably-priced as well. I've eaten here probably 4-5 times since some students introduced it to me on a day we were out to community service. It was a rainy, cold day, and I had a bit of a cold, so the spicy coconut sauce, over a nice bed of brown rice, with chicken, coconut flakes, and black beans was just the thing! The little pão de queijo is delightful! I am inspired to try to learn to make it, because I don't know if Five on Black sells the cheesy puffs in bulk!
The food preparers have always been very friendly and pleasant when I've gone through the line, and they seem to enjoy their work atmosphere. Always a good sign for food quality and atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Montana
“It's a 'Go Back Again and Again' One!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

My son had eaten here before and brought me for lunch. Very informal 'cafeteria style' ordering, simple menu done well. Flavors and portions are outstanding, you can get a regular bowl and it will feed you all day! I've returned once already this month.

• Visited March 2014
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I came for dinner with the couple I was staying with. They recommended it and I really wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised with how delicious AND filling it was! I'm not a huge fan of coconut or mango but I tried the options anyways and absolutely loved it. As I write this review I find myself craving another bowl! Great experience.

• Visited February 2014