“My favorite brunch spot”
Review of Catalyst Cafe

Catalyst Cafe
Ranked #7 of 292 Restaurants in Missoula
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We are a full service restaurant. Opened in 1991 as Montana's first coffee cart, The Catalyst Cafe has grown to become a favorite destination in Missoula for full-plate breakfasts and lunches. Open seven days a week and serving breakfast all day. The Catalyst caters to a very loyal following of University of Montana students, downtown Missoula business people, and visitors. The Catalyst Cafe brews the best coffee in Missoula and serves up a delicious variety of unique, fresh, local meals- including a great selection for vegetarians and vegans. The Catalyst Cafe is 100% Missoula - and prides itself on being a welcoming, comfortable restaurant for all walks of life.
Missoula, Montana
“My favorite brunch spot”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

The catalyst is absolutely delicious. I have never had anything here I don't love. From the breakfast options (potato casserole is a must- especially if you're plagued with a hangover), to the Moroccan Mint tea, tomato soup and various lunch specials, everything here is local and cooked to perfection. The very friendly and passionate owner is always in working and makes sure not only your food is delicious, but that you feel appreciated too. It's a small and cozy cafe, so if you go on the weekend, be prepared to wait a bit. Also, in the warmer months there are tables outside and they will bring your dog his/her own water. Very accommodating and very reasonable pricing.

Missoula, Montana
“I want to live at Catalyst.”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My roommate and I have made weekend brunch trips to this amazing cafe a tradition. She is vegan/gluten-free and there are some great options for her. I am absolutely in love with everything the kitchen creates. They can be super-slammed around noon on the weekends, but the staff has remained consistently courteous and easygoing. As a former server, I really appreciate that. It's such a turn-off when restaurant crews are apparently overwhelmed and stressed. Catalyst is awesome.

Man oh man. I'd be there right now if it weren't for the GIANT BLIZZARD that overtook Missoula this weekend.

I ordered an 8 oz triple breve the last time we went. Gahh. It was amazing.

If you live in Missoula or are visiting, you need to try this place out. Need to. NEED. TO.

It's extra fun if you get seated in the balcony area - great perch for people-watching, and you can stare at the delicious food on the tables below and salivate while you wait for your meal. Hehe.

• Visited February 2014
Stevensville, Montana
“tight quarters and great food”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Always look forward to a stop at the Catalyst when we;re in Missoula. We've always found the food to be top quality and the service very courteous and friendly. The lime-taco soup is wonderful...

• Visited January 2014
Missoula, Montana
“Don't go when cold or take a child needing a high chair”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Summary: Don't eat here when it is cold or if you have a baby/small child who needs a highchair!
We had lunch here recently during a cold spell and it was miserably cold inside. We tried sitting as far from the door as possible but still froze. And it wasn't just us. Everyone in the restaurant had on coats, hats, mittens. People around us were complaining. Out waitress even admitted she couldn't move her fingers. It was incredibly unpleasant. We ate as fast as possible and took the rest to go just get out of there! I'm guess it was maybe 50!

Their highchairs are old and don't have a strap to go around the child and nothing between the legs. This means your baby can slide right on through and fall out. It is dangerous at worst and unpleasant and best since you have to jump up every few minutes and readjust your kid.

I sent an email to the manager after our experience. I was expecting to get a note with an apology and something about how they will fix the high chairs and buy space heaters. Instead I received a note saying thy would not apology for the weather and that the highchairs had character since they are antique. I don't normally write bad reviews but managements refusal to apology and acknowledge the problems really makes me irritated.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Sprout12
San Francisco
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Thanks to the recommendation of other UM parents, we had lunch at the Catalyst Cafe on a recent Sunday. All I can say is that I'm glad my son is a freshman so we have 3 more years to eat here on trips to Missoula! Great healthy food, simple & pretty decor, and friendly staff. A very inviting place.

• Visited October 2013