“Yummy breakfast.”
Review of Catalyst Cafe

Catalyst Cafe
Ranked #7 of 297 Restaurants in Missoula
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: We are a full service restaurant. Opened in 1991 as Montana's first coffee cart, The Catalyst Cafe has grown to become a favorite destination in Missoula for full-plate breakfasts and lunches. Open seven days a week and serving breakfast all day. The Catalyst caters to a very loyal following of University of Montana students, downtown Missoula business people, and visitors. The Catalyst Cafe brews the best coffee in Missoula and serves up a delicious variety of unique, fresh, local meals- including a great selection for vegetarians and vegans. The Catalyst Cafe is 100% Missoula - and prides itself on being a welcoming, comfortable restaurant for all walks of life.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Small street front eatery with high ceilings that make for a rather noisy meal. But the food is good as is the service. My friend loved the Huevos. I had an omelet for which I could choose 5 items out of a long list and it was excellent. Tasty "birdman" whole wheat bread made into toast. Baristas on duty so lots of coffee options. More food than I could eat.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was on a vacation with friends away from husbands and kids this past weekend and had the worst experience dining that I've ever had at Catalyst. I've never written a review on here before, but I felt this demanded attention. The food was great, and our actual waitress was fine too. HOWEVER, management could not have been more rude. My friend had ordered a $10 lunch entree that had celery in it (not just on the top, but the dish had been cooked in it). There was no mention of celery on the menu, and no reason she would have thought to ask if it was in the dish. She is mildly allergic to celery, so when the dish was brought out, she politely got a waiter's attention to send it back and ask to order a bowl of soup instead. SHe then asked if the soup had celery, and was told that it did not. The waiter returned with the soup and the entree boxed up in a "togo" box. She declined the "to-go" box, saying that she wouldn't eat the meal later at home, and did not want to be charged for a meal she couldn't eat. The manager then came over to the table, and rudely (and loudly) asked what the problem was. He stated that this was a $10 meal that she wanted to send back (like it was a $40 steak or something) My friend explained the situation, to which the manager replied that it was my friend's responsibility to ask what was on the menu. My friend then responded that shouldn't it be the restaurant's responsibility to list the ingredients on each menu option. By this point, the entire restaurant was quiet and listening to this exchange. The manager then replied "how about I take this off your bill, but you never come back". In front of the whole restaurant! The four of us immediately lost our appetites, paid the bill and left.

I am a business owner myself, and if I ever treated my patients this way, I would be out of business. I realize that people can be difficult at times, and that miscommunications occur, but I've also worked in the restaurant industry as well, and occasionally people send stuff back. Its the nature of the industry, and you can't lash out at someone who isn't happy with a meal. Its not like she ate half of it and then sent it back, she took one bite and realized she couldn't eat it.
My friends and I are 4 professional women, and we were treated like we were college students trying to get out of paying for a meal. That was my first time visiting Missoula, and although I liked the city, I will not be back to Catalyst, and would tell other people not to waste their money there either.

5  Thank ejohnson95
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Tasty, healthy food. I like the soups. Salads and sandwiches are good, too. There is a rack with lots of interesting reading material. I always read "Tricycle" magazine here. The Catalyst has that undescribable, but unmistakable Missoula atmosphere.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

coffee is the best in town the food is good and healthy. A great place for breakfast. A real local flair for style and great surrounds. It is located downtown and close to shopping and entertainment.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Went out to breakfast after seeing menu on Urbanspoon. Super allergy/veg/vegan friendly but has all the traditional stuff, too. We sat outside, which was nice but the whole multiple server thing didn't seem to work super well for them - things just took a while or were forgotten. We enjoyed our meal, would go back, liked their efforts to provide eclectic, locally sourced dishes but would probably just say don't come in in a rush...because they are not in one at all. and they might forget your juice...coffee...bacon...but they are really, really sorry if they did :). Regardless, totally worth going.