“Gourmet Bohemia brings the World to Missoula”
Review of The Silk Road - CLOSED

The Silk Road
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended by lots of locals and it was well worth the visit and a fun place to celebrate my guest's birthday. An eclectic combination of gourmet, fresh fare, mostly of eastern/asian/himalayan/greek fare (how's that for a combo) served in a cozy, tasteful bohemian atmosphere with fair and reasonable prices. It bills itself as 'a global taste' and that is how they designed the menu. Small portions so that you are meant to sample various dishes, appetizer style. That allows for ability to try different dishes, combinations and we appreciaet the seasonal rotations of the menu.

Were disappointed in an inaccurately described Pain Perdu the way it was made--not a typical Pain Perdu : two small pieces of bread dryly flanking the separate tiny scoop of cream sitting atop of plate of sauce with large chunks of ginger. The flavors didn't mingle and couldn't the way it was presented,, the bread too dry and the ginger chunks needed to be blended into the sauce or eliminated.
The BEET APPETIZER was scrumptious, however, and something unique for which I could easily feel myself craving from time to time).
Their popular HOT CHEESE CRAB DIP was most decadent and delicious.
The MOROCCAN GNOCCHI was a most satisfying, perfectly prepared and unexpected combination of Morroccan spices with Italian gnocchi and most appropriate for winter evening.
The lamb dish was eh, okay.
The wine list is surprisingly versatile for such a restaurant and most reasonably priced, including an organic selection or two.
The service was a bit slow getting started, but caring and we were in no hurry. All staff were warm , friendly and welcoming.
In fact, thanks and kudos must go to this favorite of Missoulians located on the 'hip strip', as they surprised us with the classy touch of comping the dessert for my birthday guest.
Dinner for two with 2 beverages (incl 1 organic wine): $41 plus tip.

There were people of all ages and compositions here (families, couples, dates, friends)

It is definitely a place to which we will return when in Missoula!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This place is off the hook. It's so good. I have been there twice and plan to return for many small plate dinners in the future.

Perhaps the thing I love most about this place are the tapas...I loooove tapas....the concept, the size, and the sharing.

The first time I came here (over the summer) my husband and I shared a couple of plates and got one individual one each because he is a pescatarian and I eat meat...I had pork fried rice (which they do right) topped with a an over-easy egg, served with seared duck breast and blackberry compote on the side...I still dream about it. You know if you dream about a dish, it's phenomenal. The one thing we didn't like was the soup.

Now, the other night with my best girlfriend we got to share many plates because she's a omnivore too ;) We had a plethora of delicious tapas. Our favorites were the Hot Pickled Beets served over arugula micro-greens with goat cheese and pistachios and the Duck Confit Crepes with Berbere spice, topped with fennel slaw...my mouth is watering as I write this and I just wanna go back right now to devour those delicious beets and crepes! We also had olives with pita bread, Kalbi (good, but not my personal fave just because I thought the flavors in the dish weren't connected), and a gnocchi dish. For dessert, Opera Cake and Pineapple dessert with brioche, ice cream and peanut brittle.

Most of the dishes are excellent but not every one...that is just bound to happen...give this place a try though...small dish dining is the way to go because you get to taste more than one dish! The chefs and owner here are innovative with their flavors and the wine list is well-rounded. Another thing I love: they list the country of origin with every tapa!

1  Thank emiliaselihu
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Your first trip to Silk Road should be an experience. Have the time, and the money to enjoy it completely. I have been there several times now, and each time was something special. It is fine for a quick after work wine and a nibble, but oh so much better to savor it. Somewhere in your tiny little plates you will find something that will just knock you out. For me, it was the Chinese Five Spice Ribs, tender, aromatic, intense. Nearly everything is interesting, flavorful, and the wines they suggest are great. The service is professional, the seating is a little close together, the decor is exotic, but I promise, you will find one thing that will be the best thing you have ever eaten.

1  Thank calgalmex
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

We had the gnocchi, tenderloin skewer, meat, cheese, and hummus platter and the pork schnitzel. The gnocchi was perfect and had diced yams with little bits of pancetta. the tenderloin skewer took FOREVER (we got it 15 minutes after the rest of our food) and was overly salty. The meat/cheese/hummus platter was ok at best but the hummus was bland and the cheese was a crumbly cranberry blend that, while festive, didn't jive with the hummus, salami, and naan. The naan was good. The schnitzel, which I've had before, was overcooked just a tad and the sauce lacked flavor. Beer and wine selection was excellent. I might come back, but this trip was just OK.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Making a night of it at Silk Road is one of my favorite Missoula spots. I love the idea of mixing up the variety of plates they serve. Each has its own personality and flavor. the cost is reasonable, but my friends and I have gone overboard on occasion! Now they are selling the various spices used so you can experiment on your own.

1  Thank MontanaWinddancer