Review Highlights

New York, NY
Amazing guide

Reviewed May 1, 2018
Celeste P

All reviews naturalist tong phd bird harvard itinerary nature tours wildlife river montana
Reviewed June 14, 2018

We feel so lucky to have found Dr. Wenfei Tong! From the moment I reached out to check her availability, I knew this was going to be a great experience. Wenfei was such a joy to coordinate with, learn from and talk to and be with for an afternoon that we left her feeling as if we now have a new good friend. She has the rare combination of deep knowledge and expertise about the area and nature and wildlife broadly, along with a natural love for people and ease at communicating and connecting with anyone (even people like us with very little prior knowledge about wildlife and wildflowers, etc.). Rather than push any particular itinerary, before we even booked, Wenfei went out of her way and took the time to talk with us in detail before coming up with two fantastic options with lots of specified detail and stops for how we could spend our time with her. She considered the weather for the day in question, our backgrounds, interests and past travel experience, and was entirely flexible before we booked and even during the afternoon with her - her goal being making our time with her the most positive and interesting experience possible for us. We ended up going on a hike next to a mountain creek's gorgeous cascades waterfalls and tons of wildflowers, and seeing and learning lots about birds. We also drove out to a spot we never would have found on our own, to get to see the most adorable burrowing owl keeping watch nearby her eggs soon to hatch any day now. We loved talking with Wenfei, whether it was about what was in front of us, or Montana at large, and so much more! It was a real treat having her as a guide and being with her for several hours. She then again reached out after our tour to send a beautiful photo of our time together, and type up some of the information she shared with us live (e.g., book recommendations). I plan to come back to the area with my kids next time and take her tours again and again! She can do all kinds of activities (hiking, river floats, etc.), but also tours by car if the weather isn't going to be great. Don't hesitate -- just reach out and she will definitely come up with the perfect experience for you too. Thanks so much again, Wenfei!

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed May 1, 2018

My husband and I are birders/naturalists and have had numerous guides in Africa, Australia etc. Wenfei is by far the best guide we have ever had! She is so nice and calm and a complete pleasure to be around. She is thoughtful about making sure that each person needs are being met.

She is extremely knowledgeable about birds and wild-life and knows all the great spots. She even has a PhD in Biology from Harvard and has spent many years observing wild life in the field. We learned so much about animal behavior and bird migrations from her.

We can’t wait to go on another trip with her this summer with our children!

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank Celeste P
Reviewed February 21, 2018

I was visiting Montana for the first time, and Wenfei was the perfect guide to introduce the magic of Missoula!

Wenfei is a biologist at the University of Montana, and knows the secret spots around Missoula to spot wildlife, and experience the beauty of nature. She planned our itinerary, and drove us around, making it a seamless experience.

She's very knowledgeable about the local wildlife, and obviously loves the area.

I was impressed with how friendly and helpful Wenfei was. I eat a vegetable-based diet, and she found a local vegan restaurant for us to have lunch at - which was very thoughtful of her.

I had a fantastic experience with Big Sky Safaris, and can't wait to return again!

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank hydc2
Reviewed January 6, 2018 via mobile

My hubby and I visited Montana this year in May, my favourite part of our US holiday. Wenfei planned our route to Choteau, part of the Rockies and Buffalo Range near Missoula.

Breathtakingly landscape and wild life. We loved the vast sense of SPACE. The vast beauty of Big Sky Country indeed! Not a single tall building for miles as we headed out to the Rockies. Hours of unblocked views of rolling hills and the blue sky. It's a place where my soul and heart smiled for hours uninterrupted.

What was really unique were the unexpected wildlife sightings. Wenfei spotted a pronghorn (deer-like) far away on the hills, resting just after birth! We peered through binoculars, watching Baby take its first shaky steps.

As any wildlife lover knows, unless you're visiting with a guide, good luck finding wildlife on your own! Even if you do see an animal or bird, it's really tough to spot and identify what it is.

Wenfei is one cool unique evolutionary biologist who *hearts* Montana and will make you fall in love with Montana too :)

Date of experience: May 2017