“Down 'n Dirty” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
US
“Down 'n Dirty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

I've eaten at Thai Spicy occasionally for the past 8 years; I'm rethinking my dining choices. It is true that the food isn't spectacular, but it is tasty. However, when I picked up my to-go order today I noticed that the restaurant has gotten quite dirty; enough that I think my run with Thai Spicy is over. The service has always been mediocre and they have problems with consistancy of spicyness (my medium Phad Thai is so hot today I can barely eat it), with all that combine it is time to say goodbye.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank susieQ777

Portland, OR
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible - This is NOT thai food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Silverware with something crusty and dried clinged to it. The yellow curry was nothing more than cheap vegetables in a bland watery wanna-be coconut sauce, although it doesn't even deserve to be called a 'sauce'. So overpriced for the quality it should be criminal. Our server was new and forgetful, what a bad combo ... for us. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank fountain_of_wise_ass
Columbia, MO
“Its food...just not really Thai food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

I should preface this by stating that I make my own thai food. I ordered 2 items to go - Beef Panang and Pud Thai (the tamarind). I called from a local hotel and told me it would be ready in about five minutes and it was. The Pud thai was OK; fair (not bad) and seasoned OK but a far cry from authentic Thai and significantly lacking in spice and fish soy. The Panang is one of my gold standards for judging a thai restaurant in that if they get the panang right, usually they get everything else right. The panang was really poor - the sauce was too thin and the wrong flavor of curry, there were too many components, the beef was overcooked and tough and there was no thai basil (which is a key ingredient of Punang Neu).

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jgm3000
Missoula
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible, you'd be better served by a rice-a-roni box.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

Yes it sounds a bit harsh, but the food was like cheesy mac with scallops. I would give it three stars if the entree was around $4.50. If you order take out, make sure that you check your order before walking out the door cause' it might not have made it into the bag. And remember, once you've hit rock bottom the only way to go is up!

1 Thank fran2935
Boulder, Colorado
“Bad - Tasteless - Overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2010

Very probably the worst Tom Yum Gai soup I have ever encountered. The lemongrass was rotten, the mushrooms were super-low quality, the soup itself tasted of nothing and the "chicken" was something else. My green curry (ordered Thai Hot) was bland and actually orangish-pink. Very few vegetables in the curry. Would not have eaten it if not extremely hungry. Waitress brought bill before we even started with the entre. The silverware was dirty. Didn't seem like they were remotely interested in presenting a good meal.
Go to Sa Wa Dee.