“Sadly, overrated and overpriced”

Blackiron Grill & Rotisserie
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Miles City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Sadly, overrated and overpriced”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Nice decor, professional looking staff and edible food are the only good things offered. Beyond that, the food was not bad, but certainly not great or what was expected at their prices and the menu choices are very limited. The host staff was very nice, although our server was oblivious to our requests! We actually had to walk to where she was conversing with other staff and ask for condiments and beverages! We were there for a late lunch and the place was not that busy, but we got the impression that we were irritating the server with our request. A family of four at a table for four and one hour after we finished the meal I couldn't stand the cluttered mess any more and actually had to pile our used plates before our toddler guest started throwing forks and food bits! Apparently the waitstaff is very unprofessional and lacking the training to make this restaurant the gourmet experience that they are attempting to create. Service and atmosphere are equally important to food quality when a new establishment is trying to create a fine dining reputation. Black Iron Grill succeeded only at guaranteeing that we won't be back.

• Visited March 2014

Glendive, Montana
“Serriously lacking in customer service”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I where so excited about trying this place, it's not like there's much to choose from in Miles City. The décor is very nice, I love the ambiance, I loved the fire place, and the fire pit for the chicken. Dinner isn't served until 4pm, so we waited the 15 minutes. Our waiter was very much uninterested in his job and it showed. Service aside, the menu prices are unreasonably high. I split half a chicken with my daughter, which was good, but not $24.00 worth of good. The roasted vegies where horrible, as was the house salad. I'm not sure what the gob was, I thought it was butter but it tasted like mutton. Horrible! My husband had the rib steak, which came with a $35.00 price tag for a 20 oz, however, it was more like an $18-20 steak. The service does not match the price, we will not return. A huge let down after the anticipation.

• Visited March 2014
grandmahenry
“I don't often give this high a rating, but...”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were staying in Miles City for one night and as we were there last year, didn't want to do the same restaurants again. We saw the reviews for Blackiron but couldn't find it on our gps so were about to give up, when we spotted it while getting gas. It didn't look very busy and it did look a little like your average sports bar-type restaurant, boy were we wrong. Beautifully appointed inside (although they need some artwork), the bar was quite busy, the dining room was not. For one thing it was light enough to see what you were eating - a nice change. Our waitress was excellent, personable but not all over us. The food was fantastic. I had the best French Onion Soup I have ever had anywhere, my husband had his usual burger but pronounced it almost as good as mine and said his fries tasted like fries. They were crisp and delicious - I tried one. I ordered a half-rack of the best ribs I have ever eaten. I hate it when you order ribs and take a bite and the whole thing comes off the bone - or they are so chewy they last forever. These were neither, they were the nirvana of ribs, moist, tasty and yummy. The presentation was so nice, I almost didn't eat anything, even my husbands burger was nicely done and everything came exactly as we asked for it. My side was baby white and purple baked potatoes...yum. We were too full for dessert even though they sounded wonderful, my husbands pop was refilled and my teabag was so beautiful, I wanted to keep it. (It was organic tea in an actual cloth bag!). Even the cutlery was nice and heavy. Just great. Some of the menu items were definitely not what you would expect but they sounded delicious, definitely worth a trip and we may just go back on our homeward trip. A1.

• Visited February 2014
Miles City, Montana
“Sadly, I was vet unimpressed with the food for such a nice building and furnishings.”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Very unimpressed. Both ordered 10 oz steaks. One came hard and over cooked, one not as bad but certainly flavorless meat. Rice was gummy. And a slab off a head of lettuce??? I will remember that trick when preparing my next salad at home to save time! Ate in the bar and was checked on by server once. Had to ask for refill on drinks and the check. Never was offered desert....altho it would not have mattered. 53.00 for a bad experience didn't need to drug out any longer. We will not eat here again.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank pilotcar406
Portland, Maine
“Higher Brow Than Most of the Clientele and Worth a Stop”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This Americana grille is a step fancier than most of the local blue collar folks are expecting, so if you're the Denny's type, you might be a tad intimidated, but give it a shot. Widen your palate and enjoy the local, inventive and housemade twist on some classic American favorites. The menu will describe the history of the joint, along with the regional purveyors of the slow, rotisserie style meats and fishes (chicken, beef, port, duck, shrimp, walleye) served up in a casual atmosphere with touches of local reclamation, like beams from the Old Milwaukee Railroad Roundhouse in the bar, and a steam powered iron bender from 1910 perched outside the front door.

In a twist on some of your favorites, the mashed potato selection may range from straight up smushed spuds to Bleu Cheese or Truffle laced varieties. And my favorite, the Japanese hot dog. A Jordan MT housemade brat-sized sausage, topped with ginger and wasabi instead of mustard and sauer kraut. A bit of nori and sesame tames it down and rounds it out. The ribs are the slow roasted-fall off the bone and all over your face variety with a selection of mustard, housemade kiwi and rhubarb BBQ sauce and parsley based chimichurri for a little kick.

There is plenty of local beer on tap and a very cheap flight of 6 to help narrow down your choice. Afull range of spirits and knowledgeable (entertaining) bartenders who know how to do the fanciest drinks justice.

BTW, the desserts don't suck. And there is the requisite Montana Huckleberry, but classier than in most local joints.

In my visit, there were young ladies dressed to the nines with leapard tights and wedge platforms, and ranchers with camo hats, and at least one crying child that probably had croup. The point being, come as you are. If you're from away, you'll love it more than anything else in Miles City. If you're from Miles City, you'll start off uncomfortable and suspicious and then get used to a more sophisticated presentation of your old favorites. Have no fear, the portion sizes are American and there's plenty of salt and ketchup nearby if you need it. Hopefully you won't.

It also smells like a little bit of roasting Heaven...from the parking lot, in.

• Visited January 2014