“Sweet Spot”

The Lodge at Lolo Hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lolo
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We arrived at the Lodge at the end of a long, hot day heading east across US 12. It was very much a welcome and beautiful oasis there in the Montana woods. Had no reservations; we vacation in a wandering fashion, but space was available. Great room, luxurious, quiet, most restful. Soaked in the hot springs and chased away those road stresses; enjoyed food and drink and excellent service at the grill next door. Yes, a little pricey, but location and good people make that a very minor issue. My second visit; my wife's first. We'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joel S

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Our visit to the Lodge this trip was for my hubby's birthday....The room was just as magical as it was our first visit, which was in December two years ago. This time we visited in early July. Not that we needed it, but the air conditioning in our room was spectacular and so cool we had to turn it off. The bar and grill was the perfect "Dive" complete with music, casino and tasty food. The breakfast of fresh do- it yourself waffles and the most tasty strawberry yogurt... The Lodge staff was once again, took hospitality and comfort to a level that ends up costing a lot more money than what we paid.

....and I hope Lilly and Roxie are there the next time we stay....Those gentle, sweet funny girls, they feel like my own pets! :D

Room Tip: Make sure to hit the hot springs before 9:00 pm so you can soak a while...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RhondaR2
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My fiance and I went up to Lolo Lodge a couple days ago and I could not be happier! It was beautiful! We stayed in the King Bed room which was comfortable and clean. The pools were very clean and relaxing, the temperature was lovely! The lobby was also clean and relaxed and we checked out a couple of movies from their selection, which, in my opinion, was quite a large variety! Anything from children's movies to horror.
There is almost no service out at the lodge, which I enjoyed quite a lot! However, there was a phone that you could use for any outbound calls in the lobby, which was a telephone both! It was very peaceful not to have any service!
There is a small grassy area in front of the Lodge with horse shoes, a volleyball net, and a badminton net. A good sized pond not far from there had a campfire pit which we used on the second day. There is also a small play set for children which included swings and a slide.
I saw a couple reviews that claimed the breakfast was no good, however I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty good! The bar/restaurant next door was also good, I had a steak one night and club sandwich the next while my fiance had the chicken strips and fish and chips. Both times the waiting staff was very polite.
The staff in the lodge was very kind and helpful for the most part, one woman who was working was not as kind or helpful as the other two we encountered. The only downside was that the comforter had a couple of holes in it, but this was not an issue for us.

Overall I was very pleased with our stay and would recommend this to anyone looking for a couple days away

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicholi R
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Met up with some family at The Lodge as we were passing through the area, and we all had a blast! The staff was always courteous and helpful, giving us hints about amazing hikes and things to do just a stones throw from the lodge. As we were debating about whether to stay in one of the Lodge rooms ($125/night), or the Outpost($89/night) the staff took us to go see the rooms and then let us decide. We stayed two nights in 3C (one of the Lodge rooms). It had two queen beds, was VERY roomy, with a large bathroom with a shower, no tub, but that wasn't an issue, and the best part of the room was the large, full-wall windows that gave a fantastic view of the pond and surrounding mountains. We kept hoping to spot the resident moose family in the pond, but I think we were a few weeks early.
They offer a complimentary waffle breakfast, which, honestly was pretty good, wished we'd realized that sooner, as we were eating our camping rations up to that point..lol. Thankful they offered something though, it was nice. For other meals, there is an adjacent bar that had pretty decent food and drinks, a little pricey on a few things, but you are about 25 miles from anything else. The staff there though was always quick and friendly.
There is NO cell service, at all, for quite a ways. so if you need to get in contact with family, they do allow you to make short long-distance calls out of the room, or from the front desk, or at the bar.
We did end up staying another night due to a change in plans, and chose to stay in the Outpost. We were slightly dismayed at the cleanliness there, as there was some water damage and not the best of a cleaning job, unlike the other room we had been in. The room had a queen bed and a small bathroom with a shower. For $89 (they gave us $10 off since we stayed the other two nights so, $79) I can say it was fair. I've been in hotels far more pricey and in far worse shape. They are honest with you about them though, so we weren't totally surprised. All in all, it was a decent room.
If you are traveling with pets, make sure you plan in advance as there is only one Lodge room that allows pets (1A). My sister in law had that one with her lab, and as mine is a service dog, we were fine in 3C or any one of the end rooms in the buildings. The one nice thing about the Outpost is every room allows dogs and there is no pet fee in any of the rooms, that I am aware of.
Also, with your stay is access to the beautiful, spa-like soaking pools. The front one averaged about 103F and the back pool was around 104-105F. Nice after a long hike and some rock climbing. However, if you desire access to the swimming pool across the way, they are not owned by the same business, the pool is $7 to swim, and the staff there was about as friendly as a rock. It was a nice soak, but I'm not sure it was worth it. Also, the cabins are run by the pool folks, not the lodge...and yeah, don't get one unless you are wanting a wooden tent (nothing wrong with it, it'd do, but after spending the last 5 days camping in the backcountry, my tent was bigger than the cabin they were going to give us).
If you are big into hiking and everything outdoors, The Lodge is the perfect base camp! Not too far away, and George can give you a map he's drawn of the route (dead on) is access to Heap Rock, some pretty awesome rock climbing. We'd been trying to find it the day before, but were totally off track, thanks to George, we found it the next day. If you're wanting to get with a group to see when folks are going to climb, look up the Missoula Climbing Group on FB. There's also extensive hiking and biking trails, just bring your bear spray and watch for moose.
Also, the last little tidbit I'll share is that if you are in the area, make time for these two things: Jerry Johnson Hot Springs (30 min into Idaho, there are signs for it and parking areas), a very easy hike takes you to the most unique soaking experience, it's number 1 for me in the area. It is totally natural and the rock pools are gorgeous, and you are soaking right next to the Gardiner river(I think?), anyway, it's impressive. DO IT. And the second is stop by Jacks. It is out in the middle of nowhere, anyone at the Lodge can tell you how to get to it, and it is AMAZING. Probably the prettiest and most unique bar I've ever been too, and it's huge! They rock it on the weekends with live, local bands, and can make you just about anything you want to drink. Honestly, we went there for the drinks after climbing, but the food was pretty good as well. DO NOT ring the bell UNLESS you mean it, you buy for the entire bar, no joke. And if you go, you've got to, at least for a minute, sit in the bar swing.
I hope this helps you in your travel planning. I don't usually review places we've been, but this one stands out. It was a pretty awesome stay, there's so much to do in the area, and it's nice to have a base camp. I enjoy camping a lot, but every now and again it's nice to stay where there's a bed. Whether you are honeymooning, taking a family vacation with the kids, just getting away, passing through, or like us, having a Sister's Weekend, there is something here for you. Enjoy, and happy travels! God Bless.

P.S. GO TO JERRY JOHNSON HOT SPRINGS. just not on a weekend, it's pretty popular in the summer. I would tell you when we found was perfect to go, but that's one secret I'm going to keep.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Courtney A
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to the lodge at Lolo Hot Springs for several years now. I have had nothing but excellent service and a fabulous time. Every single one of the staff members are extremely friendly, willing to help, respectful, and very nice in general.
from the minute I stepped into the lobby at the lodgeI was treated like a king. I was given a tour of the place and ran into some of the other staff. The huge and knowledge to me very personally and said hello and welcomed me to the lodge.
the whole place had a very nice atmosphere. Rustic, outdoorsy, felt like I was in a cabin,and no TV or radio on phone, which was great because the whole idea was to get away from all that. I give this place 19.8 on a scale of 1 to 10! I know where I'm going next year. You guessed it, the lodge and a hot springs.

Dan

several years now

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank dan l
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My family of 5 stayed here for 3 nights. We found out about lots of very interesting local places to see and explore by car and by foot. There was a lot of interesting wildlife and geography to see. Although only about 30 miles from Missoula, this lodge is quite remote, being up the valley 25 miles from Lolo. The lodge has been under new management for about 2 years and has improved tremendously. The hot spring pools are wonderful and there's a hot breakfast every morning. While there, we didn't get cellular service, but the wire-line phone in the lodge is free for registered guests to use and they do have a wifi network available for no additional charge. Only DVD playing in rooms with a pretty good selection to borrow from the lodge. The family rooms are huge and have 3 queen size beds, table and chairs, a fridge and a microwave.

Room Tip: Check out the Lumberjack (The Jack) saloon on Grave Creek Rd a little north of US Hwy 12 at mile-mar...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Hillwalker-153
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I was very disappointed in this place. Rooms are very run downed. When I took a shower water leaked onto the floor. No TV service, just a TV with a dvd player. My room was not in the main building, it was in the outpost or bunkhouse. Do not go here

Room Tip: Nothing'
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Larry H
CinthiaR, General Manager at The Lodge at Lolo Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

We try really hard to explain the accommodation selections that we offer our guests. Although we maintain and clean the Outpost Rooms they are petite and simple and great for a quick overnight stay. We do offer TVs and DVDs in the rooms and offer more than 300 video selections to check out. Our Fort Rooms are incredible boasting 500 square feet of space and 5 picture windows reaching from floor to ceiling allowing the gorgeous landscape to fill the view. Next time, please reserve one of the fort rooms. We always give our guests a tour of both types of rooms just in case they want to change their reservation upon checkin.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lolo
Days Inn & Suites Lolo
Lumberjack Saloon
Lumberjack Saloon
#2 of 5 in Lolo
Blue Mountain Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Lodge at Lolo Hot Springs? Share your experiences!