Murray Hotel
$153
Travelodge Livingston(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$124
$107
Econo Lodge Livingston(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$121
$259
$125
$113
Super 8 Livingston(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$125
$119
Livingston Inn Motel(Livingston)(Great Value!)
$119
Country Motor Inn(Livingston)
$78
$72
$70
$102
Hotels.com
All reviewsmurray barattached barmodern amenitiesotis elevatorclaw foot tubpiece of historyrail linesitting areastep back in timetrain whistleanthony bourdainthird floortrain depotvery comfortable roomgreat western hotelinteresting historyquaint hotel
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We chose this hotel because of it's location in Livingston, proximity to Yellowstone, and quirky charm. All three goals were met. The hotel itself seems to have not been touched much for a few decades. The hallways feature the original terrazzo tile (which looks grimy but really isn't - we checked!). The elevator is very old and is operated by hand -- the staff on duty must be called to take guests both up and down. The exterior neon signage is very, very cool.

We chose a junior suite that was very roomy and looked to have been fairly recently painted. While the furniture appeared to have come from a thrift store and the bathroom probably haven't had a remodel for 40 years , we were pleased to have a large flat screen TV and WiFi.

We didn't expect bell service or help with our luggage. Good thing, because it's not available! Leaving about 7:00 in the morning, we learned that staff is not be available at the front desk until 9:00 daily. So, since we weren't "allowed" to operate the elevator ourselves, we had to schlep our luggage down three long flights of stairs, probably waking other guests.

Upon arriving we learned about the stellar reputation of the hotel's restaurant. Very unique to encounter such a talented chef in a town of this size and location. The television show "No Reservations" had made a visit -- DVDs of the program are in each guestroom. Speaking of reservations, would suggest making one if you'd like to experience the creativity and expertise of the chef. We were there on a Tuesday night, and were unable to be seated until very late. We were sorry to have missed the opportunity.

I'd recommend this property if you're looking for something unique and historic, but not necessarily luxurious. We like to be pampered along with the rest of the world, but, pampering aside, I can guarantee we won't forget the Murray. We have a great story to tell our friends!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

There is no better place in Livingston. The Murray is quite unique however so, if you prefer places like Best Western or Holiday Inn, you may not like it here. Every room/suite is different and each has enormous character. It's right in the center of town and you can walk everywhere. The bar is hopping every night and it's right next door to Livingston's best restaurant - the 2nd Street Bistro.

Room Tip: Don't sleep over the bar!
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We like to stay in boutique/historic hotels and The Murray falls into the "historic" category. It has been faithfully restored to its original condition, which means you get an authentic western experience.--starting with a sign over the desk that reads, "Check guns at front desk." The lobby is a great place to sit and take in the ambiance or browse the western memorabilia that is on display. The rooms themselves are "authentic" which means thin walls/doors, squeaky floors, old plumbing fixtures, lots of street noise (they actually provide foam earplugs in their basket of bathroom toiletries), window AC units, and intermittent wi-fi. Another inconvenience is that there is no parking lot, so you park on the street. Having said all that, this is still the best to stay in Livingston. It's also withing a couple blocks walking distance to all the town's restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The hotel has a lot of history and is at the center of town. They did a very nice job of updating the rooms for the 21st century while not changing its character. We got to see a few other rooms and they are all different and tastefully done. The room I had had a sofa, bar stools, a little table, kitchen with necessities, bathtub and showers.

I called the hotel twice, once to book the room and the other two extend it for another night. The person on the other line was short and made me feel like I was a bother; however another lady, I never got her name, that works at the front desk (shoulder length silver hair) did not only give me good customer service she was hospitable, something I never received throughout all my travels. She showed us around the hotel reciting its history. The only cons I have is that there were dozens of dead bugs by the lamps and walking up to the fourth floor to get to your room is no fun but one can't be too spoil if they want "character."

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We saw the Murray Hotel on the Travel Channel. When I called to make reservations they were all out of standard rooms and upgraded me free of extra charges to a suite. The staff was very friendly. The manually operated old elevator was a nice touch. I felt like I was sent into a time machine in the hotel becuase it feels like you went back to the old west. The bed was very comfortable. The rooms are like apartments rather than traditional hotel rooms. The room was very clean and very quiet. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly, don't book online.
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family