“Not MK's it used to be, embarrassing if taking guests!”
Review of MK Steak House - CLOSED

MK Steak House
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had out of state company that remembered MK's fondly from a visit years ago and wanted to take us there for dinner. I called for a reservation and was told it was their 17th night closed for winter repairs but they were reopening the next night and she took my reservation for then. Due to the drive involved, I called the next afternoon just to be sure they were reopening and had my reservation..yes to both. We arrived at 6:15pm, were seated and had a few questions about the different steak options on the menu. The waitress returned to take our order, then came back 5 minutes later to tell us they had no ribeye, New York, or t-bone steaks,only sirloins and filets. This changed our order and we asked another waitperson walking by to tell us again what they were out of. He said prime rib, shrimp, and crab. Not wanting to create a fuss since our son was trying to do something nice for us, we altered our orders but finally all had to shake our heads that a steakhouse would reopen with no inventory. My main complaint is why I wasn't told their menu would be extremely limited when I made the original reservation, or when I called the next day to confirm, or worse than that, why the waitress would not have told us this when seating us or when taking our order! To be fair the steaks we got were good but the usually good sized foil wrapped baked potatoes were lukewarm, not in foil and about the size of a small red potato. I mentioned to the waitress these were the smallest baked potatoes I ever saw and she smiled and said "aren't they cute?" Not to 2 hungry men! Shortly after, I noticed the orders coming out were the large foil wrapped potatoes but had no idea they had those or would have asked for an exchange.
The final surprise was when our son received the check with a note attached with tape that they would now be adding 3% to the bill if paid by credit card. My husband finally couldn't hold it in, and upon leaving, asked someone behind the counter about this charge. The explanation was the new owner asked around about how to handle the credit card charge and decided it was best to just pass it on to the guests. Well, there you go! The final insult of a very disappointing, embarrassing night out with company. We should have listened to the bad reviews we've heard recently about MK's but gave it a chance, and sadly will not return. Too bad..used to be so good.
I have since tried multiple times to call the restaurant to speak with the owner or manager however no one answers.

8  Thank mtlake

Reviewed November 27, 2013

At one time the MK was far and away the best Libby had to offer. Those days are log gone...the new owner (a local realtor with no restaurant experience) has a reputation for cutting corners on quality and clearly hasn't a clue about running a steakhouse. Since my wife and I moved back to Libby 4 years ago, we've eaten there 4 times and had bad experiences every time. On one occasion we took along out of town guests after much bragging about the MK only to struggle through some of the toughest meat I can remember in a long time (my ribeye was about the taste and consistency of a hockey puck). The last straw was a Christmas dinner where I was served raw -- and I mean RAW -- prime rib. When I sent it back, they nuked it and brought it back to me. As I looked at the steaming, gray piece of shoe leather I could not believe my eyes; and when I complained, the owner became argumentative and pretty much threw a hissy fit. Heck, they even screwed up the backed potato...There was a time when people visited the MK from far and wide for a truly excellent meal...but I recommend staying away...at least until the own figures out that you can't run a premium steakhouse like a fast food joint with under-paid kids ruining steaks in the kitchen...

10  Thank tkdsab
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Because it was close to the B&B where we were staying on the last day of our trip to Glacier National Park and our hostess recommended it, we chose to have dinner at the MK Steak House. The small portion steak was still larger than what we normally eat. We each took a good size chunk home with us. It was great cut up cold on a salad. The steak was very good and cooked the way we asked. We enjoyed the soup and salad bar, warm bread, and the small shrimp cocktail that comes with the meal. The baked potato comes with butter, sour cream, spring onions, and crumbled bacon, which isn't that common anymore. The food was good and a good deal for the price. If we ever come to Libby again, we will definately eat here.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stopped for a late dinner during our travels back from Troy to Kalispell. It was about 9:00 PM on a Sunday and we were happy to see them still open. When entering we were asked if we had a reservation, which we found to be a little funny.

The place is not all that big and the lighting is very dim. Overall, it has the typical hunting lodge layout with log walls and hunting trophies in the dining room. The chairs are not too overly comfortable, but no biggie.

Service was a bit on the slow side, so we are not sure if that was intentional to give it a "laid back" atmosphere? The steak dinners we ordered came with a trip to the salad bar and shrimp cocktail and bread. I was not a fan of the salad bar - seemed unappealing to me. The shrimp cocktail was 2 little shrimp on a plate with a smidgeon of sauce. Did not matter to me, but I would not have described it as cocktail. The bread was tasty and warm.

The steak was very nicely cooked and tasty. It was accompanied by mashed potatoes and green beens. Very satisfying and we both finished our platters completely. Pricing was a bit on the high side (for a sirloin) and we were a little suprised that there was no "game" on the menu. However, overall, we would come here again and it was a nice meal all in all.

2  Thank jayisgerman
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Liz Benefield purchased the MK from the long time owners / operators Bert and Masie. She has maintained the quality and décor, this is old time Montana. If you are traveling on Hwy 2 between Kalispell and Bonners Ferry, play to have dinner at the MK. You will NOT be disappointed. This is the BEST in Libby.

1  Thank morgan s