“HORRIBLE!”
Review of Caboose Motel

Caboose Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Libby
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am no princess and I don't need a five star hotel. The price is definitely what you pay for. The beds are terribly old and my husband couldn't even walk the next day. I am pregnant and went to the floor to stop the madness of tossing and turning and the horrible creaking of the mattress. Was being stuck by springs ALL night. Also the sheets and pad would come off no matter how little we moved. The worst motel I have stayed at, The room was clean but the neon light outside was ridiculous glowing into the rooms. When we checked in the guy put us right next to the office so heard every car and every person slamming doors, talking, etc. Bad! We told the clerk that the beds were bad and he didn't say a word. Looked at us like we were crazy. I would never recommend anyone to stay here especially since there are plenty of other motels in town for probably the same price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Elizabeth B
rat2828, Owner at Caboose Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

We at the Caboose Motel are very sad that your stay with us was not acceptable. I have personally checked the room you were in and had found that the bed did have a squeak. My maintenance man has fixed this problem and my housekeeping manager has found the problem and fixed the bottom sheet that was causing the corner to come up. We have not had any other concerns regarding the beds from other guests but I have directed my housekeeping manager to check every one of our rooms to ensure that all rooms do not have any of the problems you have described. We value all of our guests and personally take pride in our cleanliness and any issues that would effect our guests negatively. Again, we apologize for any discrepancy in the quality of our rooms during your stay.
Bob Lee
Owner

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The rooms were large and spacious. They were clean and the beds comfortable. The bathrooms was avery clean and up to date. We were extremely disappointed in the breakfast offered in terms of quality, choices available and service there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rdirk
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Libby is not exactly a four star town. Kind of a hardscrabble little mountain town. So, when I pulled into the parking lot of the Caboose, I thought it was just another dated disasster. I was mostly wrong. The dated part is spot-on, but I actually find the old motor court style of drive-up motels charming, especially with a healthy side order of panelling! They made up for the dated appearance by doing their best to make sure the room was clean, the internet worked really well, and the staff was friendly. They provided a bin of old hand towels I could use as rags to wipe down my motorcycle, which was a huge plus for me. It is located right across from a large supermarket, which is really convenient. I thought the rate was a little steep, but I think Libby is a tourist destination with Glacier being so close by, so I kind of expected a bit of rate-gouging. The breakfast was mediocre, but free. I rated it very good because I could tell the staff worked hard to keep the facilty clean and functioning, which is more than I can say for a lot of modern franchise motels!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank T C
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the Caboose in July. We accidentally left rain gear for our motorcycle in the room. When we discovered it was missing, we called the motel. They had the gear and mailed it to our home. Really appreciated it! The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place is disgusting! When we opened the door to our room there were ants everywhere! The room reeked of mold!! I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to stay there! Why it is ranked number one is beyond in correct

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank oliviarg98
bobinmontana, Owner at Caboose Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

We are very sad to hear you were not satisfied with your room. When you came in with your expedia reservation and we gave you your key you came to the office within 5 minutes and we thank you for doing this. Your complaint was there were ants in the room and you were not interested in changing from that room to another so we immediatly offered you a full refund which you accepted. I directed my staff to close down the room so we could inspect it for ants, we did inspect it the next day and found no ants at all. We will keep the room closed and watch it for the next several days to ensure no guest has any problems like you have described. I am glad we were able to immediatly accommodate your request for a refund but would have very much hoped you would have let us move you to another room that would have met your needs.
Bob Lee/Owner

Reviewed July 16, 2013

So I booked a room through their website booking engine - a room with a single king sized bed. A short while later their booking system sent me an emailed confirmation. So far, so good.

But then, later that day, I got a call from the motel, telling me the room I'd booked and had confirmed was unavailable. They were willing to give me a room with two queen size beds in it instead - a bedding configuration I didn't want and don't like, but in the interests of just getting the booking squared away, I accepted. Then for the really nasty surprise. I would have to pay $5 extra for the inferior room. Ouch!

I can sort of understand when you book a room through a third party website how things might go wrong, but I was booking directly through the motel's own website. How did this messup occur?

I can think of lots of terms for people who break promises and don't honor commitments, and none of them good. You probably can, too.

Nonetheless, their write-up of their wonderful breakfast, and the fact that this was the best rated motel in Libby on TripAdvisor caused me to grudgingly accept this unexpected switch to an inferior room at a higher price.

The motel itself was another generic motel in most respects. Small bathroom, average sized room, and only an average breakfast, with sausage slices and something white which might have been pancakes as the hot food items.

But one big minus to the room was the a/c. It was enormously noisy (over 60 dB on my Sound Pressure Level meter). Which is worse - trying to sleep in a stuffy hot room, or trying to sleep in a cooler room that sounds as though you're next to an airplane taking off (okay, yes, that is a bit of an exaggeration!).

The pillows were a bit thicker than I'd like, too. I've got to start traveling with my own pillow - so many hotels and motels get it wrong!

I do hope this isn't truly the best hotel/motel in Libby. I plan to look elsewhere next time I visit. Not that it was actively bad, but the booking bait and switch thing did leave a bad taste, and the noisy a/c was a negative.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
bobinmontana, Owner at Caboose Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

We at the Caboose would like to apologize for any inconvenience and issues that have come up for your recent stay. We strive to make sure all of our rooms are acceptable and that our guests are pleased with the customer service. During the summer rooms can fill up quickly and there are those occasional times we may have one king and more than one request coming in at any given time, thus we have to change the accommodations to what is available. We absolutely do not bait and switch, we simply had more than one request at the same time for the available king beds. Our online reservation system is not directly tied to our computer so we have to show availability by making the changes on our website as our room availability changes. Please call our office, Doug, Bob or Allen with your name, date you stayed with us and your credit card number you used for your room and we will be glad to refund the difference in cost from a King room to a Double Queen room.
Caboose Motel and Adventures.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very clean quiet rooms, helpful and friendly staff. Have traveled a lot with baseball, etc. Stayed at the caboose last night and as soon as I came home wanted to put up a review because it was such a good experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family