“Horrible!”

Caboose Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Libby
“Horrible!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place is disgusting! When we opened the door to our room there were ants everywhere! The room reeked of mold!! I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to stay there! Why it is ranked number one is beyond in correct

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank oliviarg98
bobinmontana, Owner at Caboose Motel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We are very sad to hear you were not satisfied with your room. When you came in with your expedia reservation and we gave you your key you came to the office within 5 minutes and we thank you for doing this. Your complaint was there were ants in the room and you were not interested in changing from that room to another so we immediatly offered you a full refund which you accepted. I directed my staff to close down the room so we could inspect it for ants, we did inspect it the next day and found no ants at all. We will keep the room closed and watch it for the next several days to ensure no guest has any problems like you have described. I am glad we were able to immediatly accommodate your request for a refund but would have very much hoped you would have let us move you to another room that would have met your needs.
Bob Lee/Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Redmond,WA
Reviewed July 16, 2013

So I booked a room through their website booking engine - a room with a single king sized bed. A short while later their booking system sent me an emailed confirmation. So far, so good.

But then, later that day, I got a call from the motel, telling me the room I'd booked and had confirmed was unavailable. They were willing to give me a room with two queen size beds in it instead - a bedding configuration I didn't want and don't like, but in the interests of just getting the booking squared away, I accepted. Then for the really nasty surprise. I would have to pay $5 extra for the inferior room. Ouch!

I can sort of understand when you book a room through a third party website how things might go wrong, but I was booking directly through the motel's own website. How did this messup occur?

I can think of lots of terms for people who break promises and don't honor commitments, and none of them good. You probably can, too.

Nonetheless, their write-up of their wonderful breakfast, and the fact that this was the best rated motel in Libby on TripAdvisor caused me to grudgingly accept this unexpected switch to an inferior room at a higher price.

The motel itself was another generic motel in most respects. Small bathroom, average sized room, and only an average breakfast, with sausage slices and something white which might have been pancakes as the hot food items.

But one big minus to the room was the a/c. It was enormously noisy (over 60 dB on my Sound Pressure Level meter). Which is worse - trying to sleep in a stuffy hot room, or trying to sleep in a cooler room that sounds as though you're next to an airplane taking off (okay, yes, that is a bit of an exaggeration!).

The pillows were a bit thicker than I'd like, too. I've got to start traveling with my own pillow - so many hotels and motels get it wrong!

I do hope this isn't truly the best hotel/motel in Libby. I plan to look elsewhere next time I visit. Not that it was actively bad, but the booking bait and switch thing did leave a bad taste, and the noisy a/c was a negative.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
bobinmontana, Owner at Caboose Motel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We at the Caboose would like to apologize for any inconvenience and issues that have come up for your recent stay. We strive to make sure all of our rooms are acceptable and that our guests are pleased with the customer service. During the summer rooms can fill up quickly and there are those occasional times we may have one king and more than one request coming in at any given time, thus we have to change the accommodations to what is available. We absolutely do not bait and switch, we simply had more than one request at the same time for the available king beds. Our online reservation system is not directly tied to our computer so we have to show availability by making the changes on our website as our room availability changes. Please call our office, Doug, Bob or Allen with your name, date you stayed with us and your credit card number you used for your room and we will be glad to refund the difference in cost from a King room to a Double Queen room.
Caboose Motel and Adventures.
Whitefish, Montana
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very clean quiet rooms, helpful and friendly staff. Have traveled a lot with baseball, etc. Stayed at the caboose last night and as soon as I came home wanted to put up a review because it was such a good experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Happy Valley
Reviewed June 16, 2013

No complaints at all- reasonable price, decent breakfast, friendly help, clean rooms bed firm and comfortable, what more can I say, was very pleased. Easy access from hwy, grocery store just acreoss the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert W
Ellensburg, Washington
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We have stayed here a number of times. Rooms are big and always clean. Reservations & front desk are always super helpful. Yes, this is an older motel but the friendly folks here make
it worth the while. Maybe the beds need upgrades but they aren't bad. It is located close to
grocery store & restaurants. It is nice to have your car in front of your door & the place has always been quiet & comfortable. This property has maintained the old-fashioned "treat your
guests right" theory. The breakfast room is small but has all one needs for breakfast. Try it on your next stay in Libby.

Room Tip: Ask for the back side of the motel. You can watch the wildlife in the field by motel right from y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I've written about the Caboose before, but needed to write again. Spent the last weekend there. I think its still the best place to stay in Libby. Doug and the ladies at the front desk are great, friendly, and always willing to provide great local information. The room was very clean, quiet and a very nice place to come back too after our daily travels. The rabbits have had babies and they are fun to watch and feed. For under $70.00 with tax you cannot find a better deal!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kirk v
Great Falls, MT
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed there with our dog on a ski trip. Definately worth the stay. Grocery store and liquor store within a few hundred feet. Nice to back in and unload your car without having to truck it through a hotel. Didn't have much in the way of breakfast.

Room Tip: Backside of hotel good for pets, large area for dogs to roam.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple