“Great price, easy interstate access.”

BEST WESTERN Yellowstone Crossing
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Laurel
Spearfish, South Dakota
“Great price, easy interstate access.”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The place is clean and comfortable. Very helpful staff. Good alternative to more expensive Billings motels. Not a vacation spot, but a perfect stop on your way to vacation. Built in the last couple of years. Price was less than the Trip Advisor site quoted. (All area rooms sold out tonight, they do NOT price gouge!)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank PurpleHayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Seattle
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I mean that literally - Laurel stinks due to the refinery in town. We have family in the area so we had no choice but to stay there. The hotel itself is nice, but like previous reviewers have mentioned, the walls are very thin and you can hear a lot of noise. On the upside, the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The kids loved the 24/7 pool and spent a lot of time there. However, if you aren't swimming or in the hot tub, the pool area is very hot - I don't think they ventilate the area at all. The breakfasts were really good - they have a woman come in every morning and make something special. Her biscuits and gravy were really good. The only complaint we had was one morning workers started digging outside of our room around 8:00 a.m. which made it impossible to sleep. When I mentioned this to the front desk clerk, she wasn't too concerned and didn't even give an apology or an explanation. The next morning we found our window completely covered with plastic sheeting - again, no explanation or warning. Just because it's a small town, customer service should not be ignored and there's definitely room for improvement at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MBinSea
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed here in June 2011 with my girlfriend and got booked here again on Aeroplan miles on a solo trip in July. When I checked in the front desk agent tried to authorize my credit card for the value of the stay (it declined) and did not see that it was a reward booking. This concerns me as had my card not declined, I might have found out I paid twice after being miles down the road. We had no issues with our reward booking in 2011 so I'm not sure what happened this time.

This room itself was clean and well-supplied but not very well soundproofed. Again, we didn't notice this in 2011 but this stay I had someone in the room next to me talking loudly on the phone and could hear every word. Even turning on my television couldn't drown him out. Eventually I had to put headphones on and put on a video on YouTube to lull myself to sleep. I probably got him back with my snoring anyways...

The breakfast the next morning was well stocked and had everything I could've wanted. I didn't get around to using the pool this stay but when I was there in 2011 it was decent. Overall my stay was okay but I might consider staying in Billings instead if I'm on this route again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tuneman1984
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My halfway point to Seattle, this "suburb" of Billings, MT was in the perfect location for me. The reviews of this hotel were good so I booked it. Upon first glance it seemed super nice.

I was surprised that I walked into the lobby with my arms and shoulders packed with bags and there was nobody there to great me. Someone that was using the public computer said that the front desk person was outside having a smoke; the person I just passed on the sidewalk, sitting on the bench talking/smoking with another person. I thought it was odd that she'd let me stand there at the front desk for a few minutes. I finally went outside to try to flag her down so I could check in after my 14-hour drive to get there that day. She was actually super nice and friendly (but didn't mention the outside-smoking-while-a-guest-waited-at-the-front-desk thing). I always ask for a top floor room so there's no POUNDING and creaking above me when the guest in the room above me walks on their heels across the floor..like, more often than not, they do. She said that they didn't have any top floor rooms available which I thought was odd. They sure didn't look that busy from the number of cars in the parking lot. I resigned myself to a restless night; which is exactly what happened, unfortunately.

A gentleman in the room next door was talking on his cell phone and I could literally hear him like he was in the bathroom of my hotel room; it was crystal clear. I find it hard to believe that sound transmission like that would pass a modern building code. That's another reason for me to always stay in new/newer hotels, even at a higher price. Speaking of that, my regular room was almost $100; seemingly super high for what I got: no refrigerator, no microwave, and paper-thin walls and floors/ceilings. For that noise reason alone, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again in the future. I hate to be so harsh, but the more I travel the more the lack of these very, very basic needs grate on me. There is no amount of money that can be better spent in a hotel, without question or agrument, than to put in as much sound control between the rooms as possible. New beds are nice; remodeled bathrooms and new carpet are great. A great breakfast is wonderful. But, if you're up all night because of talking / tv sounds / laughing / pounding/walking on the floor above you, than nothing else matters. My basic need wasn't met there; that's a good night's sleep. There was simply too much adjacent room noise from all sides and from above.

The hotel, otherwise, was super nice and the people were all very friendly. I just need more peace and quiet, especially for a $100 hotel room that I'm in for less than 10 hours.

Room Tip: Do ALL you can do to get a top floor room in this hotel. The walking noise from the room above will...