Open today: 7:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Review Highlights
Spectacular

Flathead Lake is absolutely stunning and every park around it is the same. The State park does... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
MelissaO4
Mukilteo, Washington
Include 5 park units around Flathead Lake

My husband and I enjoyed the Flathead Lake state park units. The units include Wayfarers State... read more

Reviewed September 12, 2018
M J
Austin, Texas

All reviews flathead lake state park west shore beach area the north end boat ramp beautiful drive big fork beautiful scenery picnic tables lots of fun campground camping cherry mississippi orchard arm
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our first trip to Montana and we camped along Flathead Lake while our son was camping with his Boy Scout troop at Melita Island, which is on the lake. We stayed the week at Big Arm State Park, which is one of the Flathead Lake State Park campgrounds on the SW corner of the lake. Most of the campsites are right along the bank of Flathead Lake and have great views and easy access to the water for swimming, canoeing, and kayaking. There is also a boat launch for motorized boats...we saw lots of people water skiing and wake boarding during our stay. The showers and restroom facilities are clean, although the outhouse by our campsite was constantly out of hand sanitizer.

Even though many of the campsites are designated accessible for popup campers, trailers and small RV's, they were really not designed to accommodate them well. Most of the sites were setup so that you basically parked your camper on the gravel shoulder next to the road adjacent to your campsite. Ideally, these sites are better suited for campers using tents. We were fortunate to have reserved one of the few pull-though campsites so that our popup camper was not right against the road. If you are trailer camping, I would recommend you try to get one of the pull-through or back-in campsites.

The lake itself was pristine and beautiful! We were there from July 6-10 and the temperatures were in the high 80's during the day and cooled off nicely into the upper 50's at night. There was little to no humidity and, most importantly to us, it was not buggy at all! As mentioned above, there is quite a lot of water sport on Flathead Lake so it's not as tranquil as camping by an alpine lake, but Big Arm did not seem as "busy" as other parts of the lake. Overall, we enjoyed the stay, although we would probably look at other campgrounds that might accommodate our camper better.

4  Thank Ed S
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The last time we were there we all got swimmers itch. I do not know if the lake still has this issue but around the park and on the north end of the lake it seems to be more prevalent is my understanding. But the Lake is always pretty not the best lake around to swim in though.

4  Thank spot36
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful lakes anywhere. A day spent on the lake will be remembered for a very long time. Many activities to choose from. Boat rental, fishing, swimming or just admiring the scenery.

1  Thank Harry47087
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Montana is blessed with so many beautiful freshwater lakes I lost count. Flathead Lake is the largest. I remember it as a tranquil place south of Kalispell with a fantastic lakeshore and beautiful parks. Actually, the parks are all part of the Flathead Lake State Park. I spent time sitting by the shore on the west side of the lake along US Route 93, inside the Big Arm and West Shore parks. Three parks are on the east side along Montana Highway 35 (Wayfarers, Yellow Bay and Finley Point), which I didn’t get a chance to visit. One fee permits entry into all of the parks and access to the lakeshore, picnic areas, campgrounds and boat docks. I had several wonderful picnics by Flathead Lake in August 2012. Swimming, snorkeling, kayaking and sailing are just some of the other fun things to do on the lake, but I limited my activity to walking the lakeshore trails and snapping photos.

1  Thank rusticpress
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Being a local that lives on the lake, I've had the oppurtunity to see the lake in it's beautiful summer prime, as well as when the sky goes grey and the edges freeze over. Flathead Lake is a beautiful place to visit, whether it's a scenice drive around it (roughly 2 hrs to make complete loop), a long day of kayaking along the edges, or a quick picnic in one of the day-use areas. If you're looking to camp, it's very convenient, though most of the sites will be right off the main road, so you may want to continue to Glacier Park if you're looking to immerse yourself in Montana nature. There are tons of places to stop on the loop around, whether you want to do a little gambling (Polson), do some upscale shopping (Bigfork), or visit a local brewery with good food (Tamarack in Lakeside). Check out local ski doo or boat rentals if you're looking for a thrill, or hop on the Far West boat tour to learn more about the area. Flathead Lake has a lot to offer any visitor.

4  Thank Travel0dge-GM