“Almost scared off by the reviews, but glad we went.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jackson
Jackson Hot Springs Lodge
Reviewed April 7, 2009

We just returned from our first visit to Jackson Hot Springs, a 2 night, 3 day stay in the first week of April. I was concerned, having read the most recent reviews on this site.

We had a great time and were pleased with the service and the lodge. We stayed on a Sunday and Monday at the end of the winter season. I'm not sure if I would have been as pleased on a weekend or at high season. We enjoyed the solitude.

The 'cabins' are tired, but ours was spacious and clean. It was also quiet and comfortable

The lodge is dog friendly, and that was a plus for us.

The staff was courteous and very friendly. They went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.

We had one very good dinner at the restaurant and one average; our waitress the first night told us that the cooks were new so we shouldn't be surprised if the quality of food was inconsistent. The breakfast on Monday morning was excellent.

Prices were reasonable.

The pool is great--large and with a wonderful view.

Skiing at Chief Joseph and Big Hole was wonderful. We couldn't have asked for better weather or better snow.

If you come to Jackson expecting luxury, you'll be disappointed. If you come with an open mind and an easygoing disposition, you just might have a great time.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 14, 2009

Have been here a couple times over the last three years, has been great. Has gone downhill since our last visit (feel off cliff?).The restaurant used to be world class, great chef, imaginative dishes and great service. Our meal and service this trip were horrible. The place now has a different feel than the old hidden montanta. A litte more "methie".... I doubt I'll be back. Disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2009

As a Montanan, I've stayed at Jackson HS a number of times, but not for about ten years. The place was always a bit funky, but not bad. This year I was excited to get back there, and we reserved a fireplace room because i remembered them to be pretty decent.

What an awful mistake. The room was gross, so dark and dirty that it freaked me out. I bet it hadn't been cleaned since we were last there. Then I found "stuff" in the bed of questionable history. Went back to the front desk to ask about fresh linens. The staff was obviouly very angry that we should even question such things. He marched us back to our room and demanded proof the linens were dirty. Felt like we were on trial. Fun time??? Relaxing getaway weekend???

He was a complete jerk and made us extremely uncomfortable while he very reluctantly changed the dirty sheets.

The room was filthy--dead flies on the windowsills, blinds caked with oily soil, stained lampshades, carpet not cleaned since god was born. The bedding was horrid, and it was hard to sleep in such circumstances.

We were blessed the next day with breakfast at the Wisdom gallery restaurant--highly recommended!! And skiing at Lost Trail and Maverick was wonderful. So the weekend was not lost, but it would have been so much better had we not stayed at Jackson HS..

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MontanaKate
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We had been at Jackson Hot Springs 3 years ago and our experience was great. The accomodations were rustic but the atmosphere was great. The food was wonderful and the service was spectacular. This time however the experience was less than stellar. The accomodations were the same, but I didn't realize that this is now a hangout for college kids. There was nothing but slamming doors and noise the entire night we stayed there. We had dinner in the lodge and we should have walked across the street to Rosies. I believe the meal would have been 10 times better. We had 2 people in our party that ordered a steak and it looked as if they had just cut it off the cow, put it on the grill just to get the outside brown and put it on the plate. To our waitress's credit she was very nice and was more than happy to take it back to the cook to have him take care of his mistake. Unfortunately we will not be going back to Jackson Hot Springs. What a disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Oslo2008
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Five of us stayed here. Of the 5 of us only 2 would return. The place is funky. It is pretty thread bare. You won't find new carpet or linens here. The rooms are heated all the time from the hot springs. Even in August! We managed with two fans in the room going at full speed. We noticed that one of the rooms had a bedspread mended with duct tape. The restaurant is top quality (and a bit pricey). The lodge is true Montana with animals mounted and hung around the room. The bar is where the locals (all 30 of them) hang out. The hot springs is great.
For the money I think this place is pretty good. (I am one of the 5 who would return.) You don't get much but you get an authentic place that is historic and not trying to be everything to everybody. We heard that somebody from Seattle just bought the place so it may change soon. I hope they upgrade it just enough so it stays true and survives.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Stayed one night. I grew up in Hamilton Montana and had not been to Jackson for almost 30 years - wanted to go there.

It has not changed! The lodge itself inside is very nice. Nice bar area, and open with a big fireplace. We had a 'cabin' - as another reviewer stated, they are not independant, but just rooms attached to each other. We had a fireplace and 2 beds and a nice bathroom. As also stated, the heat in the room is hot springs water coming in through pipes on the wall. There was heat coming from them and at first we were worried about the heat, but the town is at 7,000 feet, so figured it would cool down nicely at night so opened up all the windows and turned on the fan they had in the front window. It was VERY cool at night so the room temp was just fine.

We used the hot springs - it is an old pool, and water comes in and then goes out - so no chemicals and the pool itself isn't painted blue so it doesn't look very nice - but we did enjoy it. When I was there last, there was a roof over the pool but they have taken it down. We had the area to ourselves for an hour or so - was very nice and relaxing.

We made reservations for the dining room - the prices were a little steep, but you could also get a burger that wasn't as much. I have to say that our service was terrible and I"m not sure why - we did watch the one lone waitress flit around cherrily helping the other diners and then ignoring us or being brusqe with us when she did give us some attention. We got our dinner 1 hour after we ordered - we saw others come and go so it was strange. My husband had a steak and it was excellent. I had chicken and it was not very good.

Up early next morning - no breakfast to be had in town - went to Wisdom for breakfast.

If you are aware this is no 4 star resort and is just an old hot springs in a little town in Montana and that is your thing you will enjoy it. I love the nice funky old Montana town myself and seek them out so our stay was very enoyable.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2007

What a wonderful place out in the middle of nowhere. Great cabin type rooms with fire place (cheap) with a hot springs pool and world class restaurant. The 1950's building is spectacular. A true "western" experiance. We're already planning a return trip.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jackson Hot Springs Lodge? Share your experiences!