“Mind blowing property with a game changer attitude before anyone else did it..”
Review of Gili Lankanfushi

Gili Lankanfushi
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lankanfushi
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Amazing property, from the arrival experience in Male, then to the island when they take your shoes away...Then they assign you your personal butler, all you have to do is to call your butler for anything you may wish to have...The way the jetties are designed superb, design of the bungalows, careful thought of environmental sustainability in everything makes you think of everything we do back in the cities that we live...
They purify their own water, they use the wood that is available in the island, tv is covered:) it is all about switching off from reality, unnecessary chaos of every day life in the cities, technology and it is all for the better...Lets you enjoy the beauty of the atoll, clear skies, sunsets, stars, underwater life, greenery....Amazing food and service as well as the excellent spa facilities deserves a big applaud, and the place is managed to perfection. Overall EXCELLENT!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank esraparin_12
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear esraparin_12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful remarks on our resort. It is a true pleasure to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you really appreciate our “Mr. Friday” concept and also the eco-friendly approach that we are doing in the resort. This makes you feel the serenity of the island and see the difference from the busy life in the city.

Once again, thanks for your comments and on behalf of Gili team, we all look forward to welcoming you back again to our little piece of paradise soon.

There are newer reviews for Gili Lankanfushi

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I travel quite a bit and I have to say that our recent stay at Gili was magnificent! The service was as stellar as the surroundings. The rooms are large, fun and immaculate. The Mr. Friday concept really works and adds to the whole Island feel. F&B was the best we've had in the Maldives and when we spoke with guests who have been all over the Maldives they all had nothing but the highest praise for the resort. Above all of this was the people at Gili. I am in the Hospitality Business and never have I been treated so well. The team of people working at Gili are the most valuable part of the resort - simply the best!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank TXvegas68
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear TXvegas68,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your magnificent stay at Gili Lankanfushi. I am delighted to read that our team has succeeded in providing you with the friendly and personalized service that Gili is renowned for.

Thank you once again and on behalf of the Gili Team, we look forward to having the privilege of welcoming you back to our little island soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Gili Lankanfushi was hands down the best hotel I've ever stayed at. My husband and I booked the trip on impulse just a couple of days before the departure and it turned out to be a great decision. This is my first time in the Maldives so maybe part of what made the trip so great was that Maldives itself is a great destination but I think Gili was definitely a magnificent resort with exceptional service. Here are a few highlights:

- The resort - We loved the whole barefoot concept. It made us feel like we were on our own island adventure. The setting of Gili is absolutely beautiful with lush vegetation, crystal clear water and an abundance of fish including some reef sharks and sting rays. You really feel that the resort makes a lot of effort to preserve the natural beauty of the environment. We went to the gym almost every day. It's definitely now my favorite gym in the world. Beautiful, overlooking the reef with great equipment and no one else was ever there.

- The villas - we booked the normal water villa and it was massive. Again, the look and feel of the villa blended perfectly well with the surroundings. Usually we would want to go out of the villa to spend time by the pool etc. but at Gili we were perfectly happy reading and lounging around the villa. The bathroom was massive and I love that there's a little bridge to the shower and steps down to the water from the bathroom (good for skinny dipping!). These little touches reinforced the eco-island feel of the hotel. We originally requested a villa on Jetty 3 since it was apparently better for swimming but it was incredibly windy during the time we were there so we requested to change villas to Jetty 2 which the hotel happily accommodated. I must say I prefer Jetty 2, partly because it wasn't windy so we could comfortably sit outside and partly because the deck was a lot bigger with 2 cool hammocks that are very comfortable. My husband and I almost fell asleep in one of them one night!

- Service: Service at Gili was great. Everyone is very polite and friendly and our Mr. Friday Atheef was very helpful. When we moved villas half way through our stay he took note of all our preferences (e.g., type of blanket, slippers etc.) and had them ready in our new villa. I was very impressed.

- Food: Food at Gili was on the whole very good and in some cases exceptional. This is where the expensive part of the trip comes in though. The full/half board options at the hotel don't offer a cheaper alternative and don't include ANY drinks so you are better off not taking them. Generally the buffet options are quite expensive (breakfast ~50USD, lunch ~60USD, dinner ~90USD). We found that ordering in the villa was usually a more affordable option but there are some things that are more reasonably priced than others (30+ bucks of a fruit plate is what comes to mind when I think unreasonable). The themed dinner buffets are actually really good and should not be missed. There were also a couple of misses, most memorably the miso soup which cost about 20 bucks and was the worst miso soup I've ever had. The thing that bothered me the most about eating at the restaurants, and many reviewers have mentioned this, was that you have to pay $6 for water even if you are having buffet. I understand that some of this money goes towards water desalination efforts etc. but I think we should have the option of having free water, like any high end restaurant. I was so annoyed by this that every meal we had at the restaurants, out of principle, I would bring my own water bottle, which made me feel a little silly. Ironically, the villas are better stocked with water than any other hotel I've been to, with free still and sparkling water that come in cute glass bottles.

- Spa - There was a massage special at the spa when we were there that was ~100USD per person which I think was very reasonable for a hotel. The foot scrub they gave us at the beginning made our feet feel very soft. The massage itself was nice but my favorite part was looking into the water through the glass floor. I loved watching little fish swim by so much that didn't want to fall asleep during the massage.

- Other activities - the weather was not great while we were there so we did not get to enjoy the resort as much as we would like. We did go on the snorkeling trip and dolphin cruise, both were great. I think I saw more marine life on this trip than my whole life combined! On our last day, the weather was finally better and we took a canoe out to one palm island and snorkeled around there which was very fun.

Overall, don't hesitate to book Gili Lankanfushi if you have the means for it. My husband and I had a really relaxing time and we felt like we were able to enjoy each other's company in this magical setting. We spent our days reading, talking, playing chess and laying on the hammock looking out into the water. My only regret is that the weather wasn't better when we were there that we couldn't see the beautiful stars. A reason to go back I suppose...

I've looked at prices at other luxury resorts in the Maldives and they were actually not much cheaper than Gili. We booked the resort last minute and got a pretty big discount (~30%) on room rates which made it actually quite reasonable. That said, hardly anything is included so be prepared to spend quite a lot of money. This bothered me a lot at first but in the end we just had to let it go and enjoy ourselves. We were quite conscientious about what we ate and activities we chose and ended up spending about 150USD per person per day, but you could end up spending quite a lot more if you are not careful.

Again, if you can afford it, go to Gili one day with your partner. You will have the time of your life.

Room Tip: Villas on Jetty 1 & 2 have bigger decks with cute hammocks. Villas facing the spa are quieter as...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CSW83

Dear CSW83,

Thank you so much for posting an excellent review and strong recommendation for Gili Lankanfushi with our TripAdvisor readers. I am delighted to read all the comments you made on each aspect of the resort and that for sure will give an insight to the future guests as to what they can expect from us.

I have also shared your comment with Atheef, your Mr. Friday who made your stay special and he was very happy to read about your feedback on your holiday experience in the resort.

Thank you once again and on behalf of Gili Team, we all look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed at Gili in August 2013 for 3 nights (I wish it were longer). Stayed one night is Crusoe Residence and 2 nights in villa. Its a different experience all together. Before our trip we were reading huge numbers of reviews, listening many opinions, and when we selected this hotel we were not disappointed. A short and quick access (20mins) from Male Airport. The transfer procedure was professionally done. The greeting from the hosts on arrival was warm and like no where I've stayed before and the treatment just excellent. I couldn't stop smiling for four days. Totally out of the world. Every amenities in the villa was awesome, so many different fishes closed to villa. Idea of Mr Friday is brilliant. The resort is beautifully located and constructed. Bicycled from villa over water to the sandy island for breakfast and dinner. Its atonal relaxation experience. Offering good variety of Spa menu, Yoga session was breathtaking (by the sea), diving experience was awesome! Truly eye-opener. The dive centre crews including the crew on board were very helpful, friendly, informative and proactive, they make you feel so comfortable. The food was exceptional and the atmosphere was relaxed. The staff (or hosts) were great and could not do more to please or impress. To be honest, I was not given any No as an answer during my stay, I can see they are really striving hard to please the guests and to give the guests a memorable stay. In particular, we would like to thank general manager Iain McCormack who was fantastic and made our stay even better (which we did not think was possible) and our Mr Friday Abboo for his attentiveness and care. Overall, this was our first trip to Maldives and we would not even consider another resort when we return.

This place is like no where else! A must go!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LittleGraciee

Dear LittleGraciee,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Gili Lankanfushi on your first trip to Maldives and for considering our resort again on your return.

Reading all your comments, I am very delighted as I can feel that you really enjoyed your holiday with us and our team has succeeded in providing you with the friendly and personalized services.

I have passed on your comment with Aboo, your Mr. Friday and he is very happy to hear your feedback about his service.

On behalf of Gili Team, we look forward to welcoming you back to the little paradise soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Our vacation had its ups and downs and we left not exactly sure how to write this review, after having conflicting experieces, both good and bad. Fortunately, it ended good.

I’ll start with what’s so irresistible about Gili.

1.This place is absolutely gorgeous. The water is beautiful (after having stayed at other resorts in Maldives, I know not all islands have beautiful water gradient), and the space is simply luxurious. I was tempted to book the Residence for the air conditioned living room, but decided to try being more eco-friendly and booked the Villa Suite but guess what? We got upgraded to a Spa Villa Suite. There are only 2 spa villas in the resort, one is the Spa Villa Suite and the other is Spa Residence. My concern about not having AC in the living area was totally unfounded. I think because of the structure of the villa, it was just naturally very airy and cooling. I didn’t even use the fan much.

2.Spa Suite
The size of a Villa Suite is already luxurious but the Spa Villa Suite? Even bigger! It has a gym (cross trainer and weight training station (not sure what you call it), gym ball & hoops) with Bose system, steam room, Jacuzzi and a bigger sun deck. There is also more privacy as there are wooden panels at both left & right sides of the deck. The normal suites only had one fabric (or PVC) panel on one side. There are also big comfy settees, and the one on the left has a see through panel, which allows you to see under the deck without getting wet. Love to sit there in the evening. My favourite part of this holiday.

3.Mr Fridays
Our Mr Friday, Gassim is very sincere in his desire to take care of and please the guests. When we had an unpleasant experience in on the 3rd day, he tried his best to make amends even though it wasn’t his fault.
The assistant head of the Fridays has a fantastic memory! He remembered details of our small talk even though we only met twice, on day of arrival and the day we left (maybe he keeps a notepad?? ) Amazing team!

4.Bicycle & Tricycle
Gili provides each guest with a bicycle. My confession that I don’t know how to cycle didn’t faze Gassim at all. He sent me a tricycle! I love it! It was so much fun. I felt like a 5 year old! And hubby was very happy he didn’t have to cycle double hard, ferrying me around on his bike. I got a few weird stares from fellow guests, but who cares? I was on holiday! A few staff was even nice enough to give me a push when I got stuck in the sand.

5. The massages!
My masseur, Rianti is very good! Couldn’t remember the last time I had such a great massage. If you are visiting the spa, try asking for her.

6. Zahir and Shimhaaz at the restaurant are very friendly and attentive. They made our stay much more pleasant with their smiles.

7. Tues Pre-Dinner Party
We really enjoyed Tues pre-dinner drinks party where we got to mingle around with other guests and staff. We got to try out spa massages, had some light snacks, checked out the wares from the boutique/jewellery shop. There was a dance performance too.

Why it’s not getting a 5 stars
1. Service at the overwater restaurant was seriously lacking.
We had a very unpleasant experience in the overwater restaurant on our third night. We opted not to have the buffet (USD90/head ex taxes) and ordered ala carte. Not sure what the other guests were having, but come on, not everyone loves seafood surely (Wed is Gili’s no meat day). Also, I seriously do not know if the waiter who ushered us to our table and served us was snobbish, racists(?) or naturally cold but we were treated with much disdain.
Anyway, we sat outdoor, with view of One Palm Island and mins later, it started raining. There were 4 other couples seated outside with us. Everyone rushed in and waiters rushed around, shifting all the tables and chairs in, except ours and we were right in the middle of the 5 tables. No one helped us at all but we tried to be patient and understanding, so we waited, and waited. Got a little irritated after a long while as we were totally ignored but then one of the waiters told the couple seated next to us, that the rain had stopped and they would shift the tables and chairs back outside. A few of them opted to stay inside, but for those who wanted to move back (btw, nobody asked us), they shifted tables and chairs outside, wiped the tables, padded the chairs with thick towels (chairs wet from rain).
And…..we still waited, with a basket of bread in my HB hands. HB said to wait, maybe they needed more time to come help us. And we waited…and waited. Everything went back to normal. The waiters were back to ushering guests, serving food and drinks, taking orders and we still waited!
We looked so stupid just sitting at the settee and couples started giving us weird looks. I got impatient (after waiting for a long….. time) and was starving so decided to wipe our table instead of waiting for help but when I saw how wet the chairs were, I told my HB to wait for the padded towels. And so we continue to wait…..
Another 10 mins (HB timed) later, still nothing happened. We were just totally “invisible” to all the staff. We left after cancelling our order with Zahir, the manager (that was how we met him)

We were later told that the reason why we were kept waiting was because we were not on the buffet and the other guests already had their mains served. So priority was to help the guests with the food but there was a couple who arrived later than us, and I don’t think they had their mains served yet. They barely sat down and it started raining.
Okay, our mains were not served yet, but we were given a basket of bread and the daily special shot but alright, no problem, we could take care of it ourselves.
The problem was, it was very obvious that things had gone back to normal, with waiters back at their duties and we were totally ignored. For those of you who have seen pictures of the overwater restaurant, you will know where the green settees are. We sat at the top row, facing one palm island, facing tables just 3 feet away from us with other guests. I was wearing an orange dress. There was no way I could have disappeared into the settee, plus there were eye contacts with some of the waiters but they just breezed through. Tsk tsk tsk.

2.The Spa.
Now the treatments are not cheap but we didn’t mind as we were on holiday and expected the price “tags”. I mentioned above that the massages were fabulous, they really are. The thing which we weren’t happy with was the facility (or rather AC). It started leaking about 20mins before we completed our treatments. It started with dripping sound and I actually thought for a few seconds, that it was some very lousy sound therapy or something. They had to switch off the AC, and it got stuffy and the massages continued till the end without any ventilation. With the prices charged, I expected much better maintained facilities. It didn’t help that the staff was very nonchalant after we feedbacked about the leaking AC.

3. Safety & Peacefulness.
Our villa is no. 35 and is nearest to the island at Jetty 3 that faces Paradise Island. There is a channel for water traffic a short distance away from the villa mainly to ferry Gilli’s staff to their quarters’ jetty which is very nearby. For safety, we were told to stay away from the channel when snorkeling but water directly in front of the villas (they have stairs leading straight into the water) is safe. Unfortunately, due to the proximity to the quarters’ jetty, there are staff who frequently take shortcuts, cutting across Jetty 3 between the beach and villa 35 to & fro. It kind of disturbed the peacefulness (which most guests are seeking and paying for at such a resort). To worsen it, some staffs misused the motorboats and compromise the safety of guests snorkeling around the vicinity of Villa 35. We witnessed twice, or rather my HB twice, me once, various Gilli’s staff dangerously rode the motor boats, ramming the engine and cut the water directly across in front of our villa, which is supposed to be safe for snorkeling. We feedbacked to the GM and he promised to look into it, but still, be safe and careful if you are staying along this stretch of villas, especially if you have children with you.

The thing which made up for the unpleasantness was Gassim’s efforts to make amends even thought it was no fault of his and how Zahir took care of us for the rest of the trip. I was also impressed that the GM took the time and effort to speak to us. To me, it showed his commitment to ensure guests have the best experiences in Gili. We had a long good chat and although nothing was said about making it up, Iain the GM had very generously made special arrangement for us. We are very appreciative of his efforts. Our Mr. Friday, Gassim said Gili never let their guests leave with unhappiness and everyone leaves with smiles. I understand now what he meant by that. Was this vacation perfect? Nah….but we were more than pleased with how it ended. Kudos to the team at Gili.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Water&Salt
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed in the Crusoe Residence as part of our honeymoon and loved ever minute. Even our rainy days were great. The property is beautiful, highlighted by staff that goes above and beyond to take care of you as a guest. We would highly recommend Gili - and hope we get the opportunity to go back again soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColF2013
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear ColF2013,

Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review and strong recommendation for Gili Lankanfushi. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed every minute of your stay and we managed to exceed your expectation with our personalized services.

Once again, we at Gili look forward to welcoming you back to our little piece of paradise to celebrate your first year anniversary next year!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having just returned from a "shorter than would have liked" family trip to the Gili Lankanfushi I could sit here and write pages and pages about our experience. However and in a nutshell the resort facilities, hospitality, staff, service were just superb as was the culinary options on offer such as the Japanese restaurant and the beach themed evenings including the Asian market, and the Tandoori were just excellent! The Spa service and treatments available were just a fantastic experience and everyone (without exception) were so polite. The General Manager "Iain" was always visible throughout the day and available at anytime he personally welcomed and greeted us on our departure even though we arrived and left in the middle of the night....lets be honest you don't see that very often today!! He was such a great host and clearly has a unique and motivational management style that speaks for itself. Great place, great people, brilliant food and again professionally managed by the General Manager.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Renato M
IainMccormack, General Manager at Gili Lankanfushi, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Renato M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent reviews about Gili Lankanfushi with our Tripadvisor readers. It is indeed a pleasure to read that we made your holidays a truly memorable one.

We at Gili are really grateful to see all the wonderful comments you shared and we all look forward to welcoming you back again to our little piece of paradise soon.

Kind regards, Iain

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lankanfushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu

Been to Gili Lankanfushi? Share your experiences!