“Extremely rude”

Mini Golden Inns Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hungry Horse
Reviewed August 28, 2013

At the last minute, my husband and I decided to take our first trip to Glacier Nat’l Park for Labor Day weekend. I knew it was a long shot to get a room reservation, but thought I’d try anyway. The Mini Golden Inns was the first place I called. A very nice woman answered the phone, and told me they had a room for us and our dog - I was so happy. She and I chatted about how much we love our dogs, and she jokingly assured me that the room would be clean enough for our dog. She took my credit card info, and all was set - I thought.

When we arrived, that nice woman was nowhere to be found, instead, when I went to check in I was “greeted” by a very gruff, rude man - Rick. He abruptly told me I did not have a reservation, and that I must be at the wrong place. I explained that I had called the night before and spoke to a very nice lady, and gave him some details of the conversation. He got very nasty with me, and once again told me that I was mistaken – that I must have booked a room someplace else, and that I should leave right away. As I was leaving, stunned, I realized I had the piece of paper with me, that I had made my notes on with their phone number. I went out to the loading area where my husband and dog were waiting, and dialed the number – sure enough Rick’s phone rang and he answered – I was only about 20 feet way, so he saw it was me. I went back in, and said that I was not mistaken; his was the number I had originally called to make the reservation. I asked him if there was a woman working the desk the night before. He just got angrier and yelled no. I asked him if there was a woman that ever worked the desk, to which he replied “my wife.” I asked him if she was there, and if I could speak with her. He said she was there, but that I couldn’t talk to her, and I had better leave. This was all much worse than it sounds here – this man was so angry, and rude it was actually kind of scary. I believe he knew a mistake was made with our reservation, but was not willing to admit it – apparently it was just easier for him to be a nasty jerk. We looked for hours for another place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank tbinak

Reviewed August 19, 2013

A very clean room at a very good price for being so close to west glaicer. It was nice to be able to park in front of our room. No restaurant on site but some good ones near by. Very quiet after a long day touring Glaicer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

That is what the road sign says and quiet honestly, it is true. Not only clean abut well maintained. The front desk lady needs some polishing when it comes in dealing with clients; almost left but my patience was rewarded with a great room. The WI FI is fast too. Breakfast is limited to just cold/hot drinks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank EDUARDO H
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The motel is a traditional "motor court", where you park in front of your room--easy to load/unload and to keep an eye on your car.
Our room (not large, but adequate) was clean with comfortable beds.
The construction is concrete blocks--outside walls and between rooms, so sound-proofed. With the air conditioner on (90 degrees outside), we could hear no road noise.
They provide a continental breakfast with cold cereal, pastries, milk, coffee...
There is a laundry room with pay machines available; the office has laundry detergent for sale.
This was a good option for our visit to the West Glacier area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Susanne
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Found this place to be very clean and maintained, with thick walls between the rooms and the outside, and excellent Wifi coverage. Surprisingly good accommodations for a drive-up motel, nothing unusual to it, but well managed and maintained.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mplsJIm
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Room was very small and very old and obviously not well taken care of. For the price it should be better than a motel 6. Very dissapionted with the accomidations. The man up fromt was very nice and very helpful, great job on his part. Just doesn't have a food hotel to work with. It needs major rennavation and updated decore. I felr like I was in a dive motel in Seattle. But a beautiful area to visit. After all I camefor the scenery not the hotel

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Have never really stayed in a "motel" before, and it was actually quite nice! Our room was very clean & it worked out well to park right up to it! The free breakfast was simple but we took advantage of it! We had already spent a bundle on a couple nights in the park, so it was a good break from the high charges.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cedar Creek Lodge & Conference Center
Izaak Walton Inn
Izaak Walton Inn
#1 of 2 in Essex

Been to Mini Golden Inns Motel? Share your experiences!