“Great place to stay. Close to Glacier and we loved it.”

Historic Tamarack Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hungry Horse B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed in one of the cabins and it was very nice and clean. We had a full kitchen and two bedrooms. Close to Glacier and the caretakers were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2011

i really really wanted to love this place. The people were so nice and the location is great. However, stayting in the thought lodge room was not. First of all the bathroom is in the hall so no privacy. Second, the bathroom was very dirty..tub shower had a dark ring of dirt and toilet...uh yeah. The roim was hot, small, and thug could hear everything. I was looking forward to a good breakfast before hiking but the stale cereal and random bagles were just not even a real breakfast. Maybe the cabins are good but frankly we will not be back to find out.

• Stayed: August 2011
5  Thank Katianna L
TamarackLodge, Owner at Historic Tamarack Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

Thank you for your review and your nice comments about our staff. As the owner I fully recognize that everyone has an opinion and should be given the opportunity to voice this opinion. I cannot comment on this. However, I can comment on facts. First, the lodge bathroom is reserved for our guests whom stay in the lodge room and no other. As stated on our website, and in any conversations we have with potential guests, it is located directly across from the lodge room. I am the only other person whom lives in the lodge and I have a separate bathroom. Secondly, we pride ourselves on our facility being immaculate and I find it hard to believe this guest's comments about the condition of the room. My staff and I do not allow for any infractions when it comes to this topic. We clean everything everyday unless instructed by the guest not to. I can also assure you that our breakfast cereals, bagels and muffins are "new" each morning when we set up the continental breakfast. We do not offer a "full breakfast" and anyone looking for this type of breakfast are directed to local restaurants. The lodge is 103 years old and does have the "squeaks" that are associated with a historic building. However, after the 100% restoration was completed in 2005 it is completely modernized and beautiful. Finally, we do not offer air conditioning as it is not required. The evenings in the summer mountains cool down to 50F-60F and by just simply opening your window to allow for the evening air removes any need for anything else. If, during your stay you were unhappy with any part of the experience, our staff are always available to assist you with whatever you may need and it surprises me that your dissatisfaction was not noted during your stay when we would have had the opportunity to assess the issues and advise you on areas of concern.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

The cabins were clean, well stocked and very functional. It had such a homey feeling while still making us feel spoiled. We used their fire pit and play area (stocked with toys) every night. They are minutes away from EVERYTHING. It was a perfect place to rest between great adventures.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Mr. Woehler: I have stayed at your Lodge a few times. I have been very imppressed at the staff, the total comfort of the Lodge and cabins. The honest intrest of the staff in my satisfaction with my stay has always been a high point for me. The extra effort your staff puts into room and cabin cleaning in very impressive. You may be assured that any time it is possible to stay with you, I will. It is a high point of the vacation. Thanks you for being the best host at the best family/business lodge anywhere !
M. McIver

Room Tip: Very clean, very private and very reasonable.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed at "The Rack" and had a wonderful time. The location was perfect and the hospitality was second to none. Built campfires at night and made 'smores for all the guests. Can't do that a traditional inn! A special set-up in a special place. The kids enjoyed all the open space to play and we enjoyed all the personal attention from the staff. We have developed a good friend and place to stay the next time we visit Montana. I will visit again soon

Room Tip: The Griz was perfect for our clan!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeff L
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed at the Lodge for one night in July. The rooms are ok; a bit dull and cluttered and the 15 inch box telly should be updated. Our room had a private bathroom, which was situated across the corridor. The bathroom was very clean and large. There were offices next to the bathroom, so I did not understand why these were not turned into bedrooms to allow for en suites.

The room was extremely hot during the night, which was very uncomfortable. I would suggest opening the window as soon as you arrive to try and make it cooler.

The breakfast was one of the better free breakfasts we had on our trip; self service and everything was fresh and restocked when empty.

I think the room was expensive for what it was.

Room Tip: open the window ASAP to make your night more comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LauraJane83
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights while visiting Glacier National Park, in one of the "cabin" rooms. The lady at the front desk (I can't remember her name) was REALLY friendly and helpful. She gave us several great suggestions and maps of hiking trails inside Glacier, since that's what we mostly came for, and also suggested some good restaurants in the area (I'm also glad I took her advice to check out Polebridge and the Polebridge Mercantile!). The breakfast selection was basic but fresh, and again, the staff were very friendly. The room itself was small, and had a somewhat odd layout - a cot of some kind on one side, and a double bed on the other. But, it was functional, and did the job considering we were hardly ever in the room (there is no A/C, but you don't really need it). I especially appreciated all the extra plugs on the microwave; they came in handy to plug in the computer and upload all of my great pictures from Glacier. The location is also great, just a 10-15 minute drive to the park entrance at West Glacier, and also convenient to Kalispell and Flathead Lake if you want to explore that area. They also have a couple of llamas out in the back of their property that enjoy seeing visitors, but I couldn't find the beaver pond. Nice alternative to staying inside the park.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 17 in Whitefish
Smoky Bear Ranch
Smoky Bear Ranch
#1 of 9 in Columbia Falls

Been to Historic Tamarack Lodge? Share your experiences!