“Unfortunately, not what we expected”

Jorgenson's Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Helena
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bozeman, Montana
“Unfortunately, not what we expected”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

This hotel is located just off of 11th street, the main "hotel drag" in Helena. Easy access off of I-15 and close to the capitol hill area.
The hotel has three buildings total. The main building has three floors and a basement, with an elevator. There's a two story exterior corridor section across the parking lot, and a little more odd, a section of a three story apartment building that is sectioned off as part of the hotel, maybe 10 rooms max.
When confirming our reservation, we were told that we were going to be in the "Vista Suite". We didn't think that could be bad.
The exterior of the buildings didn't look too bad, but upon arrival and entering the lobby, we could tell that the place needed a facelift.
The front desk clerk that I came in contact both days unfortunately left something to be desired. I have worked front desk for many years so believe me, I understand how tough of a job it is. We arrived quite early so I was expecting that room was not ready yet, not a problem. When checking with the front desk clerk, I waited for the clerk to contact housekeeping to see if the room was ready, and as expected it wasn't. I thanked her and said we'd return in a few hours. I don't think during the entire conversation they ever made eye contact or anything. Oh well, not a big deal. When checking back later, same thing, just cold and unwelcoming. I guess we could live with that.
We then went to our "Vista Suite" and found a dated room in the apartment complex addition that I explained earlier. The chairs were stained, carpet stained, light bulbs out, etc. Overall, very worn. Was it "clean"? I guess, but showing signs of wear. I passed by the housekeepers a few times and they were very pleasant though, a nice change from the front desk. The room had two queens, separated by a partial wall, a microwave and refrigerator that could use a little "TLC", a couple chairs, and a basic bathroom. Not sure where they got the term "Vista" in the room's name, no view, just parking lot access. Wireless was available, but you have to call the front desk to get a username and password. It took me a few times to finally get online.
When going back into the main building to find the pool, I found a very dark hallway and a smelly elevator that takes you down to the basement. From there, you walk quite a ways down a dark, dingy hallway that would fit perfect in a horror movie. Dim lights and weird smells. When you get to the pool area, you realize that the ceiling is covered over with some type of cardboard or something, not sure what. Portions of it are falling down. The pool area only has a pool no hot tub, but I have to say that the pool was very clean and warm. The rest of the pool area was in a need of a lot of repair and updating, kinda unsightly.
Breakfast in the morning was over in their restaurant attached to the main building and was offered for $1.99. Breakfast consisted of a pancake, bacon, and an egg of your choice. Not bad for $1.99, filled us up. Surprisingly a nice, quaint restaurant. The staff was very nice and service was fine.
I checked out with the same clerk that checked me in, again, cold and unwelcoming, but everything was taken care of promptly. There were two other people in the lobby, I believe managers of some sort, whom were very friendly and pleasant, ready to assist you.
Would I return to this hotel anytime soon? No. I have to say it was a little dissapointing in most areas, but overall, the place needs a lot of work. We only paid about $46 so I shouldn't complain for the price, but for those who pay more, it may be a little overpriced. When walking the halls in the main building, I did glance into a couple open rooms and they seemed a little nicer so maybe take that as a tip! Just to clarify, I'm not here to "blast" the front desk clerk or make them feel inferior, but a little training would go a long ways!

• Liked — Breakfast was nice!
  • Disliked — Place needs a lot of TLC as well as some training for the front desk.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Justin C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
dickinson, nd
Reviewed April 20, 2008

The room that we stayed in, the bathroom is really small, can barely shut the door with the toilet in the way. The TV was dusty, could not shut it off and the remote was taped up to keep the batteries in. The remote was dirty, did not even want to touch it, the keys looked like some kids were using it when they were eating.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dale_jr_88-2008
Montana
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I booked the "Standard Room" through an online service. Little did I know that his meant that I would be assigned to a motel-based building (room doors faced outside) on the fringe of the property. Furthermore, the "free wireless internet" advertised on the signboard does not extend to the building with the so-called standard rooms. The room was very aged, with worn carpets, a sagging mattress, and a yellowed sink. The room was noisy because of the street noise that came in through the outside-facing wall. The clerk ignored me for about two minutes while she was doing something else at the front desk when I arrived for check-in. Overall, it was a very unpleasant experience, and I will not stay there again. At the very least, beware of the "standard room"!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quality of facility
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank TheMuleMan
Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We enjoyed our stay at Jorgenson's. The hotel shows its age a bit, but was clean and comfortable and very conveniently located. We were visiting the Capitol and the Montana Historical Museum, and it was an easy, pretty walk from the hotel. Our room was pleasant, with soft towels and plenty of hot water. The adjacent restaurant is good quality and a blast from the past! I was well satisfied with Jorgenson's and would return.

• Liked — Great location and convenient restaurant
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Montana
Reviewed March 3, 2007

We have stayed a few times at this hotel, and up until now everything was fine.
Having arrived after booking by phone, I asked if we could have a smoking room, not forgetting that we had previously requested internet connection, we were given a basic room at the rear of the main Hotel.
Once in the room I opened my note book and tried to connect to the internet, no signal!!
Called room service and was told curtley that there wasn't any wireless connection in that room, and that we had been given "a good deal" on the room!
They did offer to move us to a new room but it was 1.45 am, and I didn't feel like moving rooms at that late hour!
The next morning when I went to reception to check out, I was greeted by someone with a faceless expression of total disinterest, when I explained the previous nights experience, they proceeded to repeat the message of last night "you got a good deal on the room". No offer of recompense or even an apology! It states Wireless Internet connection on the hoarding outside the Hotel, but once you have booked prepare to be dissapointed if you are in the wrong room! An apology would have encouraged me to return again! As it is I won't be making a return visit!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
JTuckerJr, General Manager at Jorgenson's Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Looking back on your review and knowing that I had no involvement in the hotel at the time, I still want to respond (yes, nearly 5 years later) and apologize for our prior lack of interest in helping make this situation right. Regardless of the "good deal", value is in the eye of the beholder - you, the guest. So, I'm sorry you felt the room was not a good deal, and I'm sorry that we didn't offer you more value.

Along the lines fo improving our value, please know that within the month, we will be installing WiFi equipment in all of our buildings so that anyone, anytime, from any room can get online. We hope that if you have a chance to read this response, it will encourage you to give us another try.
Reviewed September 23, 2005

Well run and finished motel, comfortable rooms a bit dark though; the only drawback was that I could clearly hear the aircon in the room above rumbling away all night. Best go for a top-floor room.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank johnnyinhiscar
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 12, 2005

I stayed..... well basically living in this hotel for a few months while I was doing some work in Montana. I loved this Hotel. They have a great and friendly staff that I came to know them on personal level. Being away from home on long periods of time, this place makes feel at home all the time.

I loved the weekends. When you come to the hotel late at night there is always hot meal for free waiting for you....well, that if the flight crew did not finish them off.

This hotel has a great restaurant/bar that served good food at very affordable levels. My favorite is Steak and Pasta or if you into to fish, try the Walleye or the Rainbow Trout and washed it down with a glass of Moose Drool locally brewed in the nearby town of Missoula, Montana.

• Stayed April 2003, traveled on business