“Terrible Food”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Great Falls, Montana
“Terrible Food”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our food was served cold. Ordered my hamburger well done and had to quit eating it, due to being so undercooked. When I told the waitress, she did not care.

Visited October 2012

Billings, Montana
“Above average”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Was out with some friends and staying at the HI just up the walking mall so we went to check it out. It wasn't spectacular and I don't remember a standout detail, I know I didn't dislike like it just didn't really stand out. Food was good, atmosphere was alright, good list of beer and wine.

Visited October 2012
Wisconsin
“A Fun Lunch”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a charming little restaurant with a big history! "Big Dorothy" was a prior owner with a "shady" business! The restaurant has a past and it is outlined on the menu. It was fun to read about it and to enjoy excellent food from a varied menu. It is known for it's great steaks, but we opted for salads for lunch. It is located downtown Helena in the walking mall. Fun time!

• Visited September 2012
Montana
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Also known locally as "Big Dorothy's", the Windbag used to be one of Helena's famous "sporting" houses run by none other than ...Big Dorothy. You can read the history from the menu. Great for salads and sandwiches or a plate of deep fried veggies with ranch, blue cheese or curry dipping sauce. Excellent prime rib at night as well as halibut. Desserts are also fabulous and I recommend the Earl Grey Cake for chocolate fans. I have had excellent and terrible service - so this will simply depends on who you get.

• Visited July 2012
Helena, Montana
“O.K. but used to be Great!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Windbag is a charming restaurant on the downtown mall. The menu has something for everyone, from burgers, to great salads to prime rib and fish. If I had written this review three years ago I would have given it an excellent rating, but in the past year we have gone there less and less (we used to go 2 to 4 times a MONTH!).
The reason for this? My husband likes his burger well done (in this age of e-coli) but not burnt or with charcoal. They used to be able to fix it that way, but not in the past year. Always burnt, always with charcoal! The Cajun chicken salad was wonderful, but the quality of the avocado (if its mushy and brown, DON;T serve it!)and quantity of the chicken has gone down(used to be a breast, now its closer to half that). The steamed veggies are 50% zucchini (watery and rubbery) and the carrots look weeks old. Three nice dipping sauces though. Surprisingly, the vegetable pocket is quite good. The Tuscan encrusted Halibut is the only reason I keep going back! It is FABULOUS....ask for extra sauce. The staff is friendly and efficient. However, the women are friendlier and more accommodating.
We don't go here as often because of our recent experiences, but still try it once in a while in hopes that it goes back to its old excellence. Right now I think they are living on their past reputation and a couple of good entrees. I hope I will be able to update this to a more positive review in the future as it really was a great place.

• Visited June 2012

Been to Windbag Saloon & Grill? Share your experiences!