“We Had FUN...despite the cold temperature!”

Spokane Bar Sapphire Mine & Gold Fever Rock Shop
Ranked #18 of 51 things to do in Helena
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'd found Spokane Bar Sapphire Mine by seeing a raw stone from this mine that was found by another customer who had the raw sapphire (quite large) set into a custom piece of beautiful jewelry. We purchased a bag of gravel from the Mother Lode mine and after our "mining" lesson got to work. Our teenage daughter's eyes were great - she found all but one or two of the sapphires we found in our bag. It was so cold and windy the day we visited, but we were determined to work through our entire bag before we left. In the end, we had seven larger sapphires (3 carats or so and up with one stone being over 6 carats rough) and about 15 smaller sapphires. We found a local gem cutter who will be cutting and polishing our top seven stones. Not only was this fun and entertaining, it's a beautiful drive from Helena. I can't wait to see our cut and polished stones! I'd recommend Spokane Bar Sapphire Mine and would also recommend purchasing either of the two more expensive bags (which come from mines that have a higher yield of larger sapphires).

3  Thank sed

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I haven't actually been to the Mine, but have ordered several of the bags online and I have always had a great time going through them. I have spoken to the staff on several occasions via telephone and they are very helpful and friendly. looking forward to stopping by on my trip to Montana next summer!

3  Thank Diana R
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Well, it was September and what is better than mining for September's birthstone - Sapphires! We were short on time so we decided to just buy the smallest bag to sift through. It was so much fun finding sapphires in our piles. I would recommend this for families as well.

2  Thank Mary V
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This gem hunting operation is smaller, with only a half dozen work tables, and a few tubs for washing your gravel, but you will find at least something in every bag, and the people are very nice. They offer several different varieties of gravel from several different mining sites, and they weigh and inspect the stones for you as at other places. They offer some tables in the shade, but it is easier to find the stones in sunlight. You can also buy the bags of gravel to go so you can sort them at your house or wherever you wish.

3  Thank Danielle W
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've been out to Spokane Bar about 4 or 5 times, and I've always had so much fun looking for sapphires. This year I took my 9-year old son, and he had a blast... You should have seen the look on his face when he found 2 huge sapphires, one 6.5 carats & the other 12 carats!! Thank you Patrick for giving us a hand with our search... We will be back again next summer!!!

2  Thank Jared28m