“Beautiful Boat ride with great history”

Gates of the Mountains
Ranked #2 of 48 things to do in Helena
More attraction details
Owner description: Just north of Helena on the Missouri River.
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This is a majestic boat ride filled with lots of history from Lewis and Clark. My whole family went, about 20 of us, and we each had a great time. So much beauty all around there, and the tour guide had a ton of great history of everything we saw. A definite recommend.

There are newer reviews for Gates of the Mountains

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Took this tour to see some history and was not disappointed. The captain does a good job narrating and pointing out the various wildlife. Price was reasonable and the boat was comfortable. I should mention that these tour boats do not stop at Merriweather picnic area at this time due to the last fire and ongoing restoration efforts. The staff at the marina were very accomodating, I had my dog with me and it was too hot to leave him in the truck out in the regular parking lot. After some inquiring they allowed me to park in the equipment shed so my dog was in the shade the whole time and slept his time away until I returned.

1  Thank TRC70
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We visited on a cloudy and windy day, but I imagine the views would be even more gorgeous on a sunny day! The captain of the boat expertly narrated and guided us through the 2-hour trip along a section of the Missouri River through the gorge known as "Gates of the Mountains". He went out of his way to point out wildlife, geographical formations, petroglyphs, and historical spots, and steer the boat so that both sides could get pictures. He peppered his talk with humor and tall tales from the locals. Very interesting and well worth the short drive off the interstate.

3  Thank wandersw
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We were a little skeptical about taking this lake cruise, but are so glad we did. The captain is so very knowledgeable about the history and animal life in the region. We saw osprey and bald eagle flying overhead and landing on their nests on the canyon walls. It was a wonderful addition to our western adventure.

1  Thank Twinkler1004
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a great time on our boat ride through the Gates of the Mountains. The scenery was fantastic, with geological sights, wildlife and the river itself. Just amazing nature. The boat was comfortable, safe, crew was friendly. Really a neat way to spend the day!

1  Thank Nadine T