“Great place for business or pleasure!”

Best Western Premier Helena Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Helena
Odessa, Florida
“Great place for business or pleasure!”
Reviewed January 29, 2008

This hotel is nicely located and looks to be only a few years old. I told all my coworkers that I was staying at a Best Western and they all looked at me like I was nuts. I wonder if Best Western knows that have a bad rep. In any case this one rivaled Hiltons and the like. There was a nice entrance and it was connected to a nice steak restaurant. There was a free continental breakfast and the staff was friendly. The only drawback was my view to a wall. The room itself was very clean and it had all the ammenties that I needed - Microwave, nice TV, fridge and coffee maker. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — The fireplace wasn't going in the lobby!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank PcolaPaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
west seattle, WA
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Nice hotel on the main road in Helena. This is a newer property, and after living in Helena before it was built, probably the best bet for both a nice place to stay, with a fair price for what you get. Comfortable rooms and huge bathroom with nicer amenities. We will stay there again when in Helena.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wseattlegirl
Columbus, OH
Reviewed October 31, 2007

We stayed at the Geat Northern for two nights while on vacation in Montana. We had a corner deluxe room which was very spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable. The included breakfast was the typical continental breakfast available anywhere. They were having a problem with their toaster which unfortunately resulted in the smell of burning toast permeating the lobby area on both mornings we were there.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Bozeman, Mt
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Great hotel. My girlfriend, dog, and myself love the mountain biking around downtown Helena and this hotel has a great location to the biking. Very clean rooms, nice decor, and very nice beds. The pool isn't anything special, but the breakfast buffet is nice. I enjoyed the waffles and coffee before biking. Best hotel in downtown Helena without a doubt and I have tried them all. I found the steakhouse next door to be well below par for its price. You can do better.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Absaroka
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I booked this hotel for a one night stay in Helena after checking the reviews here first and was very pleased. The hotel has good character, rooms were nicely decorated and perfectly clean. We even had a fairly decent view of the courthouse and mountains from our room. Check in was quick and friendly. Bath & body works toiletries were a nice added touch.

It was a little bit difficult to find and parking is in a public lot a little way from the building, or behind the building if you can find a spot , so that is a little inconvenient, but not a huge deal and we were even travelling with a toddler. The rooms seemed fairly sound proof except for a rowdy and likely drunk couple we heard at about 3 am, but I suspect they were being significantly louder than most people would be.

I didn't go down for the continental breakfast as I ended up getting severe food poisoning from the local Mexican restaurant Emiliano's (avoid at all costs!). My husband said the breakfast wasn't great.

Overall though, this hotel was pretty decent in my opinion and we would stay there again if in Helena.

• Liked — quality of rooms and cleanliness
  • Disliked — inconvenient parking
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Fort Hood, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2007

OK, so I tend to write superlative reviews. But the BW Great Northern Hotel at Helena deserves one.
We came down from a visit to our kids in Calgary and Edmonton, a long, hot full day's drive. Wildfires were eating into the hills to our East as we came into Helena along I-15. The air was filled with smoke. We were in no mood for a bad experience. We didn't get one.
First, it was easy to find the hotel. Second, we didn't have to fight street traffic to park in front and register. Third, they put us on the end of the 1st floor corridor, so we didn't have to shlep our things up stairs, etc. Fourth, we got a huge room with an exquisite king-size bed, a walk-in-shower, Internet that didn't require a call to Bangalore to connect, and a view towards the back parking lot to keep an eye on our car. (It matters.) Van's supermarket was only a short walk away for necessaries, and we only had to walk next door to the hotel for a superb innovative dinner at the Silver Star Restaurant.
If we get to having family reunions during the next few years, splicing together our clan from its Alberta, Colorado, and Texas haunts, this hotel and Helena are amongst our top choices.

• Liked — Overall sense of ease. No hassles!
  • Disliked — Leaving after only 1 night.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Yorba Linda, CA
Reviewed May 24, 2007

I was in Helena one night and based on TA reviews, thought I should stay at Wingate. However, my local contact recomended Great Northern due to the location in town with access to shopping and restaurants. My room had good and bad features-good: size, granite BR counters, Bath and Body Works toiletries, clean, free reliable wireless internet access. Not good-an accent wall in the room was painted brick red which seemed to soak up all the light in the room. I had every light on but with their low energy bulbs, it was dim; the rainy weather did not help. The bed was just OK-the mattress pad was fluffy but the bedding was ordinary-one acrylic blanket , average pillows. The front desk staff were very nice and friendly and upon check in we were greeted with smiles and chocolate chip cookies. The continental breakfast in the morning was not impressive. I looked at it, grabbed an OJ and decided to pay to eat elsewhere. Had a great dinner at the Silver Star restaurant which is adjacent to the hotel. .

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business