“Disappointing meal”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We had dinner here on June 20, 2009, a rainy Saturday around 5. I say all that because I'm hoping it was the weather, chef's night off, chef not in yet ...something ...that will excuse the poor cooking. We have been coming to Helena for the past four years for a week in June and have always enjoyed the Mediterranean Grill. However, this time although my hunband and son's pasta dishes were fine, my grilled shrimp were beyond redemption. They were overcooked and(obviously) tough and chewy. The vegetables were good, the rice was bland. My daughter's veal saltimbocca was also dreadfully overcooked; the side potatos looked good and properly seasoned but were tasteless. My granddaughter's child's serving of spaghetti and meatballs got a mixed review. The pasta was ok; the meatballs were filled with some green substance (spinach?) and then over fried. While we generally try to have dinner here twice during our visit, this time we opted out. What a disappointment. And not a cheap one either.

Reviewed May 12, 2009

I try to visit the Grill every trip to Helena just for their lamb kabobs. Since I have grandchildren, I usually only go their for lunch, but they graciously prepare the dinner version of the kabobs for me. Just Ask. And the lunch chef is superior to the dinner chef in the preparation based on the one dinner experience. If you have small children along, ask that their order be delivered ASAP as adult dinners usually take time to prepare. This is NOT a fast-food restaurant. They take time to do meticulous preparation of all orders (at least at lunch). The only negative is that there are no quiet corners for children or lovers. Not all guests like children and are not hesitant to let their displeasure at the presence of the human form they once were. My guests have sampled and enjoyed many of their sandwich and salad offerings as well.

2  Thank LoneLakeLoon
Reviewed April 27, 2009

It's too bad the food product doesn't match the descriptions on the menu and the service. We had an enthusiastic server, we liked the atmosphere and we were hungry for something besides burger and a beer. Decided to go with several appetizers and wine. The Hummas was tasty and the flat bread yummy but from there it was downhill. The batter coating the calamari wasn't quite done -- it was crunchy on the outside but there was a thin film still coating the calamari. Not really bad enough to send back - just enough that it took away from the overall taste. The marinara and "alfredo" it was served with were boring and ended up just asking for more lemon. The antipasta plate had potential but missed as well. The red onion was not sweet enough to belong on the plate. Flavor on everything else wasn't anything special. Overall -- it just seemed as though someone wasn't paying attention to the details and the result was nothing better than you'd get at a chain, and in some cases not as good. As a result we passed on dessert. We're considering moving to Helena and by appearances, this would have been a great place for business dinners -- we may still give it one more try -- but, if the same lack of attention to detail is given to entrees, which seemed pricey for such a small town -- it's off the list.

Reviewed April 14, 2009

The food or service can be good or bad depending on who's in the kitchen, etc., but usually it's all great. The baba ganouj and Turkish coffee are fantastic. Good tiramisu, too. I had a wonderful bass dish with a berry sauce one evening. Salads are quite nice. Seafood is actually quite good, considering Helena is not on the coast and it's flown in. Chef is from Turkey and knows his Turkish cuisine. Price is comparable to other restaurants in Helena. It does not have a cosy atmosphere, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Reviewed August 11, 2008

Mediterranean Grill was disappointing. We had Paella, which contained mussels that were not fresh and otherwise ho-hum soggy rice (no saffron ever touched this dish). Veal marsala had a blob fresh mozzarella on a fried cutlet with too much sage and no marsala wine ever touched this dish. The tenderloin was well done (not medium rare as ordered). Most expensive meal we had in Helena and not worth it.

1  Thank Grillmasters