The Carolina Bed & Breakfast
Good 3.5/5
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsb bchampagne roomcarriage housewanted breakfastfrench toastgorgeous bedfavorite roomreading glasseshouse is beautifullittle extrasvisiting helenabreakfast was deliciousfantastic restaurantquiet residential neighborhoodstayed longerhistoric mansionhighly recommend staying here
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We spent two wonderful nights at the Carolina, a beautifully restored 19th century three story mansion in Helena, MT. The large rooms, each with its own bathroom, are beautifully appointed, with attentin given to every detail. We were made to feel like family and enjoyed the house and its wonderful grounds.

Literally walking distance to the historic downtown area and the impressive cathedral, as well as a wonderful art gallery and several restaurants.

We highly recommend the Carolina B&B. You won't be disappointed. We will definitly be returning.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Clean, comfortable and very welcoming
Melissa was wonderful. Location excellent in the town, walkable to town centre
Breakfast awesome

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I spent 5 nights at the Carolina, while other members of my family were at the Sanders and the Barrister. ALL told me they wished they had booked rooms at the Carolina too.

Great location. 2 blocks from the Cathedral, maybe 4 blocks from Last Chance Gulch.

Beautiful rooms with none of the typical B&B tackiness, comfortable beds, tons of treats to pamper oneself (face masks, fragrant lotions,etc.), no ghosts, and incredible hospitality. Melissa, the manager, treated all of my family, whether or not they were actually staying at the Carolina, like family.

Excellent breakfast, no problem with wi-fi, lovely grounds. I could go on and on...

I have family in Helena, and if there is no room at my aunt and uncle's, I will definitely stay at the Carolina again!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2009

A year in advance I booked The Anniversary Room, as my husband is 72, and it was the only downstairs room, and I didn't want him having to lug heavy suitcases upstairs. On arrival we were TOLD, with no apology, "You are in the Champagne room" When I queried this I was told there had been a booking error, but we had not been advised, despite re-confirming before travel, and therefore given no opportunity to cancel or re-book a more suitable room elsewhere, which I thought very rude. I later realised that the people in the room we should have had appeared to have visited before, and were there for a longer stay, so I wonder if they wanted our room and were given it? The promised wi-fi connection did not materialise also. These two things really put a bit of a downer on our stay. IT IS EVEN MORE ANNOYING BECAUSE THEY EMAILED ME IN MARCH OF THIS YEAR TO ASK WOULD I CHANGE TO AN UPSTAIRS ROOM AND I EXPLAINED THAT NOT ONLY WAS MY HUSBAND ELDERLY AND HAD LIGAMENT PROBLEMS, BUT I HAD ALSO DEVELOPED A BAD KNEE WHICH NEEDS A REPLACEMENT JOINT. I WAS ASSURED AT THAT TIME THE BOOKING WOULD BE LEFT AS IT WAS WITH US ON THE FIRST FLOOR (GROUND FLOOR IN UK TERMS), so our wellbeing seems to have counted for nothing in the end! This leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.
Marissa the Manager is a gem. She cooks the most marvellous breakfast to order, she even lent me her personal computer with a special connection stick to check my emails, and whilst I would not visit again after being so badly let down, provided you get the room you book I am sure you will enjoy her hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Englishlady
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We appreciate having this opportunity to let you know just how much we have enjoyed the Carolina. It is truely special place - so welcoming and beautifully and comfortably furnished. We loved all of the special, tasteful touches. Our room was beautiful and we had every comfort of home - except better. The breakfasts were just great; delicious and healthy. Thank you, we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple