“The Center:”
Review of Last Chance Gulch

Ranked #8 of 48 things to do in Helena
More attraction details
Owner description: The main street in the downtown business district, which takes its name from the four prospectors who discovered gold there in 1864.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This area seems to be the center of the business district in Helena. My first day in town brought me here hunting for Webkinzs. The post office is here which was one of my other destinations. I usually avoid shopping areas unless I want something. This was well laid out; and had a cheerful appearance.
Even the meter maid was friendly. She gave me directions to where I needed to go next

There are newer reviews for Last Chance Gulch

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Not a whole lot to say other than what a great outdoor shopping area with many diverse shops, restaruants, and hotels. Well worth the stop, the carousel looks to be at one end and some great stores like the Parrot cafe. Take the time and look at the old building

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Just visited Helena for a college graduation. Went to the Last Chance Gulch walking mall twice while I was there. Found many more shops than mentioned in earlier reviews. Birds and Beasleys was a great stop for unique gifts by local artists, there was a great kitchen store, a creperie which was delightful for a light outdoor lunch. Also a couple of book stores, a clothing store, the General Mercantile with quirky items, candy, and beverages. We had an excellent dinner at Bert and Ernie's and Zack our waiter gave the best service I've had in a long time. In nice weather they also have an outdoor dining area. I loved not having traffic, lots of places to sit, and even an outdoor musician on my second visit. The trolley was not running during my visit, believe it is seasonal. Definitely recommend the Last Chance Gulch walking mall.

1  Thank acdexter
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went several years ago. We took the train through the streets and went on the tour. We want to talk our grandson so he can go this time. The train really added to the fun.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Montana towns offer a slice of American urban history. Last Chance Gulch offers a view of architecture and atmosphere that has been lost elsewhere in the USA. Montana is known for its natural glory, but I believe that it is also maintains a rich heritage of the preserved man made environment.

2  Thank Snorrer