“Enjoyed Our Stay”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hardin
Modesto, California
“Enjoyed Our Stay”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed here one night as we were visiting Little Bighorn Battlefield the next day and this is the closest town with lodging from the battlefield. Easy check in with a very pleasant staff person. We were able to get a room on the first floor and could drive our car right up to the room. My husband and I really like a motel we can drive up to for easy unloading and loading. The room was pretty large and even had a couch. We found it to be clean and comfortable with needed amenities. It was also quiet at night and we had no problems sleeping. A breakfast is provided which I ate. Just average, nothing fancy but I was glad to have it. I would recommend this motel as it was a nice stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed at this nice little hotel located right off of interstate 90. I was on my way to Billings but was way too tired to continue. Hardin was coming up so I stopped at the first nice hotel I saw. The check in clerk was nice I got a two bed room for me and my family and we enjoyed a hearty breakfast in the morning all and all I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Robina K
Redondo Beach
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Last summer I did a marathon road trip from L.A. to Key West, up the East Coast to Maine and New Hampshire, NYC, across the northern states to Seattle, Wa. then back down the West Coast and home. 7 1/2 weeks, and 11,000 miles!! I stayed with a dive buddy in Key West for a week of diving, then stayed with friends and family up the East Coast to Maine. A couple of times I had to get a room up the coast, and once I started heading west, it was hotels all the way back to California. I'm prefacing my remarks with this brief travel history, so that I can emphasize my warning to those of you who, like me, enjoy 'freelancing'....that is, going out there without reservations and taking your chances with lodging.
I stayed in hotels 17 nights on this trip, and without a doubt, the night I stayed at the Rodeway Inn in Hardin, Montana, was not only the PRICIEST night of my trip, but the WORST appointed room by far of any I stayed in; very dumpy, which made the consternation over the price I was forced to pay, all the more annoying. I had a great Saturday seeing the Badlands, the Minuteman Missile NHS, Wall Drugs, the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Deadwood, & Sturgis, during the annual rally. Sunday I spent at Devil's Tower hiking, and decided to get off the interstate and go north into Montana to drive the roughly 200 miles to my next stop at Little Bighorn. When I got there, the site had just closed and it was getting dark. I didn't know it, but there is no town there, only an Indian reservation. No hotels, hardly any street lights either. I got on the interstate and headed west toward Hardin, 15 miles away. I tried two or three hotels, and all were booked. One guy had come from Billings, the next big town to the west, and said there were no rooms there because of a fair or conference.
I went to the Roadway Inn and was told the room was $160.00, which was, by far, more than I had paid anywhere else on my trip. I was tired, and I very much wanted to see Custer's Last Stand; so rather than drive into the night for many more miles to get a room, where, I did not know, I bit the bullet and paid. But that doesn't mean I had to like it! The room was substandard; beat up, worn out, no redeeming value. The breakfast was not bad, but the price I paid still soured me. Another guy got stuck there just before I checked in, and he had the same feeling as me: guess we have to pay.
When I was leaving in the morning, a guy was coming out of the office, having just paid his bill. He saw me coming in and must have assumed that I was coming in to see about getting a room. He had a look on his face which said volumes, and then he admonished me to not bother; it was that bad here. I said, thanks, but too late, I already know!
I have the rewards cards with most of the hotel chains, and Choice Privileges is the one I seldom use. I already knew from past experience that Rodeway Inns tend to be the lowest rung of the Choice Hotels ladder. So after this experience I won't use that card again. Any company which is that predatory towards me as a patron, does not deserve my money for their substandard product and, 'pay what I say' attitude.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank GlobeGlider

Travelers are raving about these Hardin hotels

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My son and I stayed here on our way to Sturgis in August 2011. I chose this place because I had stayed here in 2009 on my Sturgis trip and it wasn't too bad for the price. Things changed in 2 years! I checked online before we left and rooms were about $80 on most booking websites. I did not book in advanced because I wasn't sure we'd make it on time. We did manage to make it to Hardin and when I arrived, there were a few people in the lobby looking for rooms. The person behind the desk said that there were no rooms left in town except here and we'd have to pay $200 per night! I told her that online the rooms were $80...basically she said too bad, take it or leave it! We had no choice but to pay the $200 per night. When we got to our room, it was musty smelling and very dated, it was a very basic, old room. At most this room was worth $60 - $70 per night. I complained to the manager and again I was told too bad. When I got home, I wrote an e-mail to both the manager of the hotel and Choice Hotels parent company). In 6 months, I did not recieve a reply back from either the head office or the actual hotel. Obviously they don't care about thier customers even enough to respond. Find somewhere else to stay in Hardin, don't get taken advantage of!

Room Tip: Don't stay here...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Paulin_Family
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn while traveling across Montana in July 2011. The hotel was dirty and overpriced, and the service was awful. They said they had wi-fi, but didn't. They said they offered a breakfast, but nothing was out by the time we got on the road at 7:45 (there was a McDonald's across the street, thankfully). The cups by the vanity had lipstick marks that appeared to be wiped off. The floor had mold around the shower and toilet. It appeared the room hadn't been dusted in quite some time. The people in the room next to us had a dog, and when the dog woke up, we could hear it as though it was in our room. We were traveling with a baby, and I can only imagine how loud we were to them. The hotel shares a parking lot with a casino, and every time I went to my car, I was approached by people coming to or going from the casino asking me for money, food, and once for diapers. The people in the room next to us were afraid to let their 10 year old boy go to the car alone. It didn't feel like a safe place, especially with the warnings in the hotel not to open the door to anyone, even if they identified themselves as a hotel employee. Also, we left a small bag there inadvertently. We knew exactly where we left it, but by the time we called the hotel that night, it was no where to be found. I called every day for awhile, but it never turned up. The manager I talked to asked me call back every day, because they didn't want to spend the money to call me long distance. We paid $149/Night, which was WAY overpriced. They had an outdoor pool with a water slide that my kids loved, though. All in all, if this was the only hotel to stay in or drive all night, I'd choose to drive all night. And we are not all that picky when it comes to a place to rest our head. But this hotel was truly awful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Helena, Montana
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have stayed at the Rodeway Inn Hardin Mt quite often. From my experience if I had a problem they dealt with it immediately. They have gone beyond what you expect from a hotel chain. I had stayed at the other chain hotel in town. I was treated very rudely and when I had brought it to the attention of the corporate office the matter was not taken care of to my satisfaction. I would recommend the Rodeway Inn and have numerous times.

Room Tip: If you are not sure what you would like as far as a room accommodations go just ask and they will ex...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We are taking a cross country trip and one of our destinations was the LIttle Big Horn Battlefield and since we stayed most of the day at the battlefield we decided to stay in Hardin Montana. Our first choice was Rodeway Inn since we are Choice Priveledges members and this hotel did not Dissappoint! The Staff was very friendly, rooms were clean, and the hotel is very convenient. (right off the interstate and walking distance to town). Not a very big town but we had a good nights rest. We will be back if we ever come this way again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends