The Resort at Paws Up
Comfort Inn University(Missoula)(Great Value!)
$103
$120
Doubletree.com
Bel Aire Motel(Missoula)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsblackfoot riverhorseback ridingfly fishingchuck wagon dinnerkids campfamily vacationmaster chefclay shootingmeal planaerial adventurewhite water raftingluxury tentsbald eaglesdining paviliondog sleddingspa treatmentsgourmet food
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We recently hosted a retreat at Paws Up for roughly 30 U.S. CEOs. Everything from the check-in to the check-out was met with such attention to detail and care making for a truly memorable experience. Stephanie Turner, in particular, the Concierge Services Manager, was perfection. I worked closely with Stephanie for nearly two months planning every detail of our upcoming activites, meals, place-settings, transportation, housing, etc. She was with me all the way up until the moment I left and was an incredible help to me! Another honorable mention to Jeff Butts and everyone at the Acitivities Lodge. They truly go out of their way to customize an amazing experience for each guest and were incredibly accomodating and flexible with our large (and occasionally demanding!) group. Stephanie and Jeff are just two shining examples of what makes the Resort at Paws Up so special. I'm hard pressed to think of another place where you can experience all the natural beauty and excitement Montana has to offer while still feeling pampered by a luxury resort. Five stars and too many thumbs up to count.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you so much for writing this review of your corporate retreat at Paws Up. Thanks also for mentioning the names of Stephanie and Jeff. They, and the whole team enjoyed the opportunity to provide your delegates with a special and memorable experience.

I hope that we might have an opportunity to welcome you all back again in the future for more Montana adventures!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Last October was my first trip to Paws Up—and it was extraordinary, something out of a storybook. By this time, several of my colleagues (fellow writers), family members, and friends had been to the Resort—all raving about how cool it was, urging me to visit. During my visit, I was with a large group of family, including my 9-year-old son, during Upper Crust, their first pie-baking event. We all stayed in one of their larger estates—all 7 of us—and I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't feel crammed—at all. The estate was grand with beautifully appointed rooms, capacious living areas, and outdoor decks that gave stunning panoramic views. The feeling inside and out was peaceful and luxurious, albeit subtle. (Read: Anthony Hopkins' home in the '94 flick, Legends of the Fall) The estate we stayed in had three bedrooms, each with a private bathroom. The bedrooms were incredibly spacious, ultimately designed like suites with: his and her sinks, jet tubs, large showers, and walk-in closets; one room alone in an estate is large enough for a family.

Since we visited during a time when the resort had an event going on, there were several activities for everyone (and every age) to partake in. A typical day for me included hiking, horseback riding, followed by a massage, then off to a baking workshop with Pie Whisperer Kate McDermott or NY Time food photographer Andrew Scrivini, and wind down a whirlwind day with a sensational three-course meal from a famous chef. My son, on the other hand, spent most of his day at the WO (Wilderness Outpost) doing archery, riding ATVs, and horseback riding.

Every day was a fabulous surprise, and at the same time, very relaxing. Every meal was unique and creative, including a balanced mix of protein and seasonal vegetables. The wine pairings with each course were also a nice touch. The staff was so helpful and kind, and clearly loved their jobs, because it showed in how well they treated the guests. Although I went to Paws up with a big group of family, I have also known girlfriends to go for a ladies' trip, and moms/dads who took their boys for an outdoor getaway and stayed in one of the luxury tents. Paws Up is truly a destination location for everyone, with seasonal happenings all year long. It's a place you hate to leave and love to remember. So much, that you will plan your next trip before you even get home—we certainly have!

Room Tip: The property is expansive. You can't choose a bad location. Every location is spectacular.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

We are so grateful to you for taking the time to write this review of our first Upper Crust Weekend. Thank you!

As we are already planning next year's Upper Crust, as well as many other wonderful events, we hope to be able to welcome you back again for more pie baking fun!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

What a fabulous place to celebrate a special birthday (mine) and a family reunion! Paws Up, an amazing luxury ranch/resort in Montana, lived up to its great reputation. It offered so many exciting activities for every one of the three generations in our family and what fun to all go horseback riding together. We planned our trip around "Upper Crust" a great culinary experience tied in with a three day weekend of incredible gourmet meals. Kate McDermott, the "Pie Whisperer", had everyone into our aprons and up to our elbows in dough, coming out with absolutely delicious pies which were proudly presented at our tables for dessert that night, after each was perfectly baked by Executive Chef Ben Jones. We all took pictures to remember our successes! As part of the Upper Crust event we met with New York Times food photographer Andrew Scrivini who walked us through the marvels of photographing food and also convinced us to be extremely confident in taking great pictures even if our camera equipment was our handy cell phone. I will forever cherish my iPhone picture of my mile high apple pie! We completed each day with incredibly delicious gourmet meals provided by "Top Chefs" Robin Leventhal and Dale Levitski and Paws Up own Ben Jones. We all agreed, all three generations, that we HAVE to come back to Paws UP again next year for another family weekend of Montana fun, more culinary adventures and the next level of photography. Watch out Kate and Andrew - we might give you competition... We loved the beautiful Wilderness Estate home we shared but we also have visions of taking over one of the fantastic tent camps overlooking the Blackfoot River. Imagine baking pies over the campfire, supervised by our own camp butler, of course. Our calendars are already marked.

Room Tip: The Wilderness Homes are great for family togetherness and fun. The tent camps make a not to be forgotten experience.
2  Thank Micki L

Thank you so much for writing this review of your stay at Paws Up and of our first Upper Crust event.

We have already committed to putting on another Upper Crust next year with more fun activities. I hope we will see you return then, or sooner!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Visited this alleged 5 star resort as part of a business retreat. Housing was nice but maid service was awful! Our room was never cleaned and when we call ed the front desk we were told that if a bedroom door is closed in the house, then that room is not made up. With such an odd policy (ever heard of knocking?) You would think they would tell you that at check in. Next day our room was made up but the dead flies which were on the floor and near the lights were left behind (for the entire 4 days!).Asked on day three for fresh sheets were told bu the housekeepers that they "didn't" have any? The gym was in an old barn, again MANY dead flies, out dated equipment and hardly any of it. Food: dinner buffet all that was available was $65, underwhelming simple barbecue with an 18% tip added (really, for a BUFFET???) $230 for an ATV ride for 2 on a dirt road? LAME. If you want to experience the REAL MONTANA do not stay at this overpriced resort. Rent a cottage at nearby Seeley or Holland Lake and get to know some of the local people..much more fun AND much cheaper too!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
26  Thank Maureen R
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was my first trip to Paws Up (and to the state of Montana). We stayed in one of the Wilderness Estate homes which was beautifully furnished and extremely comfortable. The activities of the resort are so varied that everyone can find something of interest. I went horseback riding and hiking. The weekend was actually an event called "Upper Crust" with pie-making expert Kate McDermott teaching classes in "sweet" and "savory" pie-making. I made the first pie of my life which turned out unbelievably delicious (much to my surprise). We also had a class with noted New York Times food photographer, Andrew Scrivini, who gave us helpful tips on photography in general as well as shooting food. Since I am somewhat of a "foodie," the highlights of the stay were the dinners planned by Bravo "Top Chef" contestants, Robin Leventhal and Dale Levitski (a fellow Chicagoan who is the chef of two outstanding restaurants in the city) and Paws Up Executive Chef, Ben Jones (who baked our pies for us). Every staff member we were in contact with made every effort to help us enjoy the weekend. We also toured the property and saw the campsites, many of which have magnificent views of the rivers and mountains. I have been back for two weeks and am still raving about the stay to my friends as well as looking at the pictures I took.

Room Tip: Determine what kind of experience you want (camping or home-type arrangement) before selecting.
1  Thank Sondra R
Stephen B, CEO at The Resort at Paws Up, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you very much for writing this review of your recent trip to Paws Up. There is not greater thrill for us to be instrumental in introducing guests for the first time to the beautiful state of Montana.

As you know, the Upper Crust event was a first for us too. We are very pleased with how well it was received by our guests, and while we have learned some things that we will probably do a little differently, we are planning on a repeat event in 2014. Stay tuned!